Battlefield 3 General Discussion Thread

How did you guys get the client patch? I've got that big button in the Game Manager thing on Battlelog to UPDATE, click on it, it opens the origin client and lands on the "Buy BF3" page. I'm not buying the game again to get a fucking patch.

Did you try clicking 'Check for Update' in Origin?

Mine updated automatically when I launched Origin this morning. In Battlelog it still said I needed an update; clicked on it and it took me to the same screen you got. When I went back to battlelog, though, all was well.

How did you guys get the client patch? I've got that big button in the Game Manager thing on Battlelog to UPDATE, click on it, it opens the origin client and lands on the "Buy BF3" page. I'm not buying the game again to get a fucking patch.

I just opened Origin and it auto patched, I have it set to keep my games up to date.

I just opened Origin and it auto patched, I have it set to keep my games up to date.

I restarted my system, tried to launch the game, and was promptly given and error message saying the game wasn't installed. The origin client FINALLY come up showing a status window indicating the game is being patched. Looks like the reboot did the trick. Where did you select the option for it to auto-patch?

e: looks like it had to completely reinstall the game.

Last edited:
I hope these people learn to join squads soon. I was in a game where 22 of the 32 players on my team were not even in squads and we were getting rolled.

It seemed to me like they changed the default squad behavior to not put you in a squad automatically? I played last night and almost half the team was not in a squad - once I joined one it stayed, but I thought it used to automatically put you in a squad when you joined the game (I don't remember having to join a squad before unless I wanted to change the one I was in).

And the attack helo guns seem very overpowered now - I was playing on Kharg and the helos were knocking all the buildings down with the cannon. I got caught twice in collapsing buildings from the AH-1Z.

Just updated, and like 10 of my 12 or so favorite servers vanished (maybe haven't updated yet?).

I'm guessing with the new server stuff they are going to force you to have a certain minimum player count for a ranked server and other stuff like that so you can't hop on a small practice server and get unlocks. :rolleyes:

so it sounds like they made more like BF2 with over powered aircraft.. wonder if they'll buff the planes next.

And the attack helo guns seem very overpowered now - I was playing on Kharg and the helos were knocking all the buildings down with the cannon. I got caught twice in collapsing buildings from the AH-1Z.

That's lame...the cannon was already pretty powerful. I think it could have used a bit of a buff against tanks (as it seemed like the tank's .50 cal could somehow shoot down a heli before the 20mm cannon could kill the tank, which didn't make sense) but other than that it was plenty powerful. Plus unless you are up close it's pretty inaccurate so it was balanced that way.

I restarted my system, tried to launch the game, and was promptly given and error message saying the game wasn't installed. The origin client FINALLY come up showing a status window indicating the game is being patched. Looks like the reboot did the trick. Where did you select the option for it to auto-patch?

e: looks like it had to completely reinstall the game.

Go into settings, scroll all the way down on the general tab and there's a checkbox.

Why aren't you a team player?

Not 100% sure on this since I don't have a controller to test it out to make sure it works. Get notepad++ if you don't already have it, open up prof_save_profile located in docs/bf3/settings, scroll down to find GetInput.Vibration and change the 1 to a 0. That should be it.

There are 2 programs people wrote to edit or configure BF3 settings....those have more setting options, including controller vibration.

Google BF3 Settings Editor.

Has anyone missing the orange target box when trying to lock on with a tank's guided shell or when the third seat is trying to laser designate? I don't like that they removed auto squad, half the team now remains out of any squad.

Has anyone missing the orange target box ...QUOTE]

Talking of Orange box, it's look than many peoples can't use their Box ( aimbot ) since the update. But they will update for sure, so enjoy the free cheater day .....

(by the way it's not a SS of my PC )

orange.jpg

Wow, how do you base rape, yet stay out of reach of the indestructible stationary AA at the same time??? It sounds like you/your team needs more practice on how to play.

as usual over the half the gripes are because people a) dont know what they are doing or b) are made because they are getting beat by a better player :p

tho a chopper gun buff might be extreme, the AA guns sure is

Not 100% sure on this since I don't have a controller to test it out to make sure it works. Get notepad++ if you don't already have it, open up prof_save_profile located in docs/bf3/settings, scroll down to find GetInput.Vibration and change the 1 to a 0. That should be it.

it was gst not get but seems to work. haven't tried actually flying and seeing if anything isnt working but its not vibrating. thanks alot

DICE tweeted that IRNV will be nerfed next patch. They didn't want to delay this one anymore. I am cool with that.

I've got this issue too.

Good for you, but a lot of people do.

Let's just hope it doesn't take them another month.

Good for you, but I don't care. LOL Shall we continue to play?

It's not like one person has an advantage on another. Everyone can use the IRNV. /shrug

I've closed Origin and opened it up again, rebooted my PC, right-clicked and clicked on "Check for update" and "Repair install", nothing.

I don't see why people keep saying IRNV is overpowered. I have it on my SCAR-H only and sometimes it works, but sometimes it doesn't due to recoil, movement of player, range etc just like any other scope.

All the other scopes have those same disadvantages, while the IRNV also provides a significant bonus in the speed and ability to acquire targets through all the "noise" on scene which BF3 purposely introduces. It is also basically a skill leveler, in the sense it lowers the gap between the natural ability of a player to quickly pick out targets on screen.

i wonder if they just buffed the chopper in time for sharqui and the tv station. Good memories of that on bf2 :)

Good for you, but I don't care. LOL Shall we continue to play?

It's not like one person has an advantage on another. Everyone can use the IRNV. /shrug

Yeah, if you have it unlocked...if you don't, you have a big disadvantage against those who do.

Yeah, if you have it unlocked...if you don't, you have a big disadvantage against those who do.

Until you play for an hour and unlock it. I wonder how everyone who has the IRNV ever managed to get it in the first place... :confused: Hax?

I've got about 11 hours in and I don't have the IRNV unlocked for anything...
14 hours here, no IRNV

Looks like I'm closest to unlocking it iwth the SCAR-H, which I have 97 kills. I've played with that weapon for 3 hours.

Well I have yet to see any significant advantage due to unlocking IRNV. I am an ok player (usually top 5 positions on a team) and don't feel that IRNV makes me overpowered.

You know what really is overpowered. The gernade M320 with assault rifle. That thing just mows down nubs especially in grand bazaar alley way.. :bleh:

Then go get it! Victim much?

Too busy trying to be a team player ranking up by reviving people, dropping ammo boxes, repairing vehicles. You do realize it's like a hundred kills with a weapon to unlock the IRNV for that weapon, right? That's not an hour worth of play, not unless you're on a 64 player server with an aimbot. That's several hours at least, and that's if you focus just on killing people with that one weapon rather than doing all of the other things that make BF3 a better game than yet another CoD game...

Well I have yet to see any significant advantage due to unlocking IRNV. I am an ok player (usually top 5 positions on a team) and don't feel that IRNV makes me overpowered.

You know what really is overpowered. The gernade M320 with assault rifle. That thing just mows down nubs especially in grand bazaar alley way.. :bleh:

IRNV is a "skill leveler," it basically benefits lower level players more than higher level players. Battlefield 3 is a game that introduces a lot of "noise" in the environment designed to make acquiring targets more difficult. IRNV basically completely removes that aspect of the game when used, leveling the playing field for those can better pick out players versus those that can't.

If you are already good at picking out players, then IRNV will be less beneficial for you.

MarkedOne said:
Talking of Orange box, it's look than many peoples can't use their Box ( aimbot ) since the update. But they will update for sure, so enjoy the free cheater day .....

(by the way it's not a SS of my PC )

orange.jpg
LMAO. I'm going enjoy it that's for sure.

May I ask how you know that the patch broke the aimbots?

Too busy trying to be a team player ranking up by reviving people, dropping ammo boxes, repairing vehicles. You do realize it's like a hundred kills with a weapon to unlock the IRNV for that weapon, right? That's not an hour worth of play, not unless you're on a 64 player server with an aimbot. That's several hours at least, and that's if you focus just on killing people with that one weapon rather than doing all of the other things that make BF3 a better game than yet another CoD game...

Oookaaay... So you don't care if you have the IRNV or not. What the frick are we arguing about? LOL That unlocks are unfair because you don't want to get them because you're a team player?

And already the servers are up that disallow cursing. Nevermind that your character is running around screaming, "Die motherfucker" or "Get your dick in the dirt!" (My personal favorite...)

My favorite though, was a server I joined that had on the rules.."No teabagging." ROFL! Wow. Just...wow.

LMAO. I'm going enjoy it that's for sure.

May I ask how you know that the patch broke the aimbots?

Well generally speaking game client updates tend to break hacks. This doesn't mean that the update itself actually does anything specifically to counter hacking, so it is only a temporary reprieve.

Back