Best 24" non-TN for +/-$550ish?

Gazoo

Gawd
Well, I was originally looking at the Best Buy deal for the LG 246 for $4xx. That's gone, then there's a handful of other things I'm looking at or was, that just happen to go discontinued before I can get my hands on it (ala 37" Westy...)

So, my question is:

What 24" panel would do me well for give or take $550. I stress that in terms that, I don't mind paying a little extra for something a little better or a little future proofed, but secondly don't wanna pay top dollar for the newest display out.

I don't think I would need many inputs on the monitor, aside from the standard stuff. Would be nice but it doesn't have to have much aside from standard DVIs/HDMIs. Doesn't need speakers or USB hub.

I need a non-TN panel specifically for viewing angles and picture quality for movies/shows, as I might end up using this as a TV for a while (hopefully not long).

I previously had a Samsung 225BW, which I used fine for games, but that's a TN panel, at 5ms.

I don't know how good a refresh non-TN panels can achieve, but I've seen 6ms, so it shouldn't be far off.

What recommendations does everyone have? For less of the price, more of the cost, personal experience with their monitors, recommendations from their research, anything!

Help!

I've been looking at the planar:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824016092
Not too many reviews. Planar makes a lot of medical displays so I'm assuming the quality is on the higher end. I'm also curious if the '241' indicates any resemblance to the previous benq r.i.p.

an older pva double sight is available for $399:
http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Sho...578&oext=1038A&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7651578
Kinda old school enclosure, hdcp not likely.

Or pony up (or wait for a 10 or 15% off accessories coupon) and get the discontinued dell 2407.

I've been looking at the planar:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824016092
Not too many reviews. Planar makes a lot of medical displays so I'm assuming the quality is on the higher end. I'm also curious if the '241' indicates any resemblance to the previous benq r.i.p.

an older pva double sight is available for $399:
http://www.pcconnection.com/IPA/Sho...578&oext=1038A&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=7651578
Kinda old school enclosure, hdcp not likely.

Or pony up (or wait for a 10 or 15% off accessories coupon) and get the discontinued dell 2407.

The Planar looks to be good. The other one not so much, wouldn't trust it.. a 10-15% off coupon would be cool, but just wonder how long I'd wait for that.

Well, I was originally looking at the Best Buy deal for the LG 246 for $4xx. That's gone, then there's a handful of other things I'm looking at or was, that just happen to go discontinued before I can get my hands on it (ala 37" Westy...)

So, my question is:

What 24" panel would do me well for give or take $550. I stress that in terms that, I don't mind paying a little extra for something a little better or a little future proofed, but secondly don't wanna pay top dollar for the newest display out.

I don't think I would need many inputs on the monitor, aside from the standard stuff. Would be nice but it doesn't have to have much aside from standard DVIs/HDMIs. Doesn't need speakers or USB hub.

I need a non-TN panel specifically for viewing angles and picture quality for movies/shows, as I might end up using this as a TV for a while (hopefully not long).

I previously had a Samsung 225BW, which I used fine for games, but that's a TN panel, at 5ms.

I don't know how good a refresh non-TN panels can achieve, but I've seen 6ms, so it shouldn't be far off.

What recommendations does everyone have? For less of the price, more of the cost, personal experience with their monitors, recommendations from their research, anything!

Help!

You my want to try the LG Best Buy scenario again. I called my local BB & they were sold out. Then, someone there checked & low & behold another store that was 50+ miles away had inventory. For $479.99 the monitor can't be beat! Maybe you have already done this, but it's worth a try.

You my want to try the LG Best Buy scenario again. I called my local BB & they were sold out. Then, someone there checked & low & behold another store that was 50+ miles away had inventory. For $479.99 the monitor can't be beat! Maybe you have already done this, but it's worth a try.

Your right it may be worth the extra effort.

I actually did call and check... but I went to the store (or well that strip mall, and popped in) and saw it on display, the display model looked to be intact, no scratches, no fingerprints, nothing really. It was on at 501.99 for clearance, and I got them to take off 12% off that. I tried using the coupon but the manager was pretty on about it.

So, out the door with it at 12% off is pretty good. Beats waiting, and if anything shows up in 30 days I can return it.. Woo. Looks great.

One bad thing is I didn't get a box or a DVI-HDMI cable, or even the USB hub cables.. just power and VGA... which kinda sucks, but I really wanted this monitor. Looks great, using over component as a TV for a while and looks really good.

Back