Best 24" sub $500 display

Hey folks
I'm in the market for a 24" display - but my budget is $500. In reading the NewEgg reviews I had decided the Samsung 245BW is the best. However, in reading this forum I'm not sure. I understand this is a "TN" panel which apparently is not the newest technology but results in the best response times?

My needs are primarily gaming, then simply day to day desktop browsing, word processing, etc. etc.

Any recommendations appreciated!

Thanks

Well best is subjective but here is my take:

NEWER

All of these have low response time and at least both DVI and HDMI inputs.

Gateway FHD2400 $540
Hyundai W240D $540
NEC LCD24wmcx $520
Acer P241 $450
Dell 2408 $469
BenQ new 24 GW series forgot name. $ ???

OLDER:

Actually kinda few of them but think the best might be:

Westinghouse L240NM $400
Samsung 245BW $450
Acer has 2 of them X241 and the AL241Wsd $ 350 and $400
Sceptre has the DCLCD brand forgot name but it's available at costco for $350
Soyo 24 inch $300

To be honest the older monitors in these list have issues of some sort (read their different threads) and the newer models are just too new really to conclude which one is best but at least i have the FHD2400 and so far pretty happy with it as a gaming monitor. So if I was going to buy any I would go with the newer models, they seem to include more features in terms of inputs, fixes, etc...

Keep an eye on the Hyundai W241D is a S-PVA panel with some awesome features but price might be at $600.

You do know about the horrible inverse ghosting problem that the new 24" dells are having, right?

Well best is subjective but here is my take:

NEWER

All of these have low response time and at least both DVI and HDMI inputs.

Gateway FHD2400 $540
Hyundai W240D $540
NEC LCD24wmcx $520
Acer P241 $450
Dell 2408 $469
BenQ new 24 GW series forgot name. $ ???

OLDER:

Actually kinda few of them but think the best might be:

Westinghouse L240NM $400
Samsung 245BW $450
Acer has 2 of them X241 and the AL241Wsd $ 350 and $400
Sceptre has the DCLCD brand forgot name but it's available at costco for $350
Soyo 24 inch $300

To be honest the older monitors in these list have issues of some sort (read their different threads) and the newer models are just too new really to conclude which one is best but at least i have the FHD2400 and so far pretty happy with it as a gaming monitor. So if I was going to buy any I would go with the newer models, they seem to include more features in terms of inputs, fixes, etc...

Keep an eye on the Hyundai W241D is a S-PVA panel with some awesome features but price might be at $600.

Thanks for the info - much appreciated!

LG L246WP-BM on Sale at Fry's for $499.95 + Tax

I have been looking at this item for a long time now and made a quick decision when I saw this new low price. Their in-store price is $599.99.

It shows as out of stock, but was told they are getting more in on Tuesday. Hopefully my order will ship then.

----- $531.20 out the door. -------

This is definately worth $60 more than the Samsung 245bw (price from newegg.com) - or at least I hope it is

The Westinghouse and Soyo were definately out due to horrible reviews and the Samsung 245bw was out becasue it was reviewed as a fair monitor with a TN screen. It did not leave me many options.

the LG or bust.

anything else isnt worth 1 dollar. I wouldnt take money even to play on a monitor that has input lag. it severely effects gaming... which is what almost everyone does :)

the LG or bust.

anything else isnt worth 1 dollar. I wouldnt take money even to play on a monitor that has input lag. it severely effects gaming... which is what almost everyone does :)

Well if you get the LG, you then don't get 1:1 mapping for gaming. It overscans awfully. No monitor is perfect.

Is there any faults in the LG that I should be aware of? There does not seem to be may professional reviews.

Should i care that it does not have a DVI Connection? I did read somewhere that it does not scale well, etc....

There is usually something that makes it stand out on the bad side, i just can't find it yet.

Is there any faults in the LG that I should be aware of? There does not seem to be may professional reviews.

Should i care that it does not have a DVI Connection? I did read somewhere that it does not scale well, etc....

There is usually something that makes it stand out on the bad side, i just can't find it yet.

If you want to play older games like PS2 games, the LG does NOT 1:1 map. It overscans top and bottom. What that means is it stretches the image top to bottom. That's all there is to it. Nothing like playing God of War on it and Kratos's body is a little taller! Basically, a computer monitor is 16:10 ratio, and a TV is 16:9. Gaming on the LG runs the game in 16:10, so you're getting that extra "1" stretched. A shame, too.

I can't speak for Windows usage since I haven't tried it for that. I might still pick it up for computer usage, and then a 19" Samsung LCD TV for PS2 gaming.

1:1 on VGA.

my.php

Granted this isn't a PS2. This is over VGA as well, i don't know if the PS2 has a vga cable.

GDM-FW900. Enough can be inferred from this post that would indicate that you need to go on eBay right now and just buy one.

Yes, lets all go buy big power hungry monsters. No thanks.

Yes, lets buy crap TN panels that aren't worth half of what you pay for them. Open your eyes please.

With a CRT, response times are not applicable. Not to mention color intensity and accuracy when you take an hour and set them up properly.

Yes, lets buy crap TN panels that aren't worth half of what you pay for them. Open your eyes please.

With a CRT, response times are not applicable. Not to mention color intensity and accuracy when you take an hour and set them up properly.

Funny. I don't play games enough to buy a CRT, nor I am picking about since it isn't my primary activity and I didn't buy a TN panel. Play again!

I think that I was suggesting a monitor to the OP, and not you. His primary needs are gaming. Therefore, he should get the best gaming monitor, namely, the GDM-FW900.

Reading comprehension might help next time.

I think that I was suggesting a monitor to the OP, and not you. His primary needs are gaming. Therefore, he should get the best gaming monitor, namely, the GDM-FW900.

Reading comprehension might help next time.

You mean the same reading comprehension that you used, which lead you to recommend a CRT when the OP is clearly looking at LCDs? No, I will stick to my own brand. Thanks!

Further, your reply which I replied to, was indeed to me. Hence I can say what I please. How about that reading comprehension?

You mean the same reading comprehension that you used, which lead you to recommend a CRT when the OP is clearly looking at LCDs? No, I will stick to my own brand. Thanks!

Further, your reply which I replied to, was indeed to me. Hence I can say what I please. How about that reading comprehension?

He never expressly stated that he needed an LCD - it is just what he was looking at. Perhaps he was not aware of the FW900?

He never expressly stated that he needed an LCD - it is just what he was looking at. Perhaps he was not aware of the FW900?

Fair enough. It is still big and power hungry. Which was why I commented. Most people know that CRTs are still the king in some ways. However, there are LCDs that can match a CRT (maybe not evenly), and the LCD has more going for it in terms of size and power.

Maybe the OP will want a CRT, but suggesting that that only alternative is a TN is extremely inaccurate.

I'm after an LCD. Sorry for any confusion.

I hear the LG246WP is adequate except for 2 flaws:

- lack of 1:1 pixel mapping (is this only an issue when connecting an external device (gaming console)?
- no DVI (monitor has to be physically turned on and off)

Any other comments?

Thanks

I'm after an LCD. Sorry for any confusion.

I hear the LG246WP is adequate except for 2 flaws:

- lack of 1:1 pixel mapping (is this only an issue when connecting an external device (gaming console)?
- no DVI (monitor has to be physically turned on and off)

Any other comments?

Thanks

Can someone please explain this more.

1. Lack of 1:1 pixel mapping. I only plan on using this monitor for Photoshop, dreamweaver, Microsoft office, internet, movies using BeyondTV. Since I will never conect a game box, will the 1:1 really matter.

2. No DVI - Monitor must be turned on and off: Are you sure, I have never seen a monitor not respond to a mouse movement or keyboard click to wake from screensaver. What do you mean.

Thanks

I had the LG ( well tried) and when I didn't see 1:1 and it overscanned my PS3 I returned it.

I basically think a gaming monitor that you want it for : PCgaming, console gaming (360 & ps3). Now if you only do PC then many monitors will work fine and don't have to worry about overscan, etc...

I am going to point the issues with the Acer 2423w:

1- Is it HDCP capable? The US$419 westy LN2410" is.

2- The Acer P series TN 24" HDCP+DVI+HDMI costs US$360 with 10% ebay coupon at Circuitcity with free shipping. Where can a find the 2423W for such a competitive price? Paying >US$450 for a non-HDCP, non-wide gamut VA panel seens strange : for US$600 you get the 26" +HDCP+ wide color gamut 2616wd from ACER with the same uberprotective package.

The main point is the HDCP: The SOYO 24" also is non-TN for ~$300 and the HDCP, multi input Westy costs less.

Beware that Acer has 3 24" panels : 2 TN and one VA: look very lose to part number before you pull the trigger:rolleyes:

geoK1ng, where is the 24 westy for 419? I have been looking to pick up this monitor.

I have the Acer 24". Never had an issue with it at any resolution with the PC or 360.

Back