Best Boutique Computer Builders

I'm in the market for a high-performing computer what I will use to make digital comic books along with a Cintiq 24HD. The software I'm likely to use includes Corel Painter and Manga Studio. I'm not building my own PC for various reasons. I want to buy a custom built PC and would like to know which companies are the best to buy from and which ones should be avoided.

I've checked out AVA Direct, CyberPower PC, Digital Storm, Maingear, Falcon NW, Origin, and PC. Which ones are quality companies in your estimation.

What is your budget?

It is cool if you don't want to say but it may be helpful to lead you in the right direction...

I have very limited knowledge of the "custom" desktop builders but from your list I want to lean towards Falcon NW (Simply b/c I don't remember reading any horror stories about their service). Remember to factor in perceived customer service before you decide on a vendor, this can be a nightmare if you have problems with the machine and the company doesn't want to support you.

I think you should also take a look at http://www.xoticpc.com/gamingdesktops.php they are one of the most popular "custom" laptop retailers.

If you don't plan to overclock then you should also look at the big retailers. (For example Dell) You may be able to get a similar system for less money.

I have several friends who have purchased from Doghouse Systems who have been happy with their purchases. I have heard bad things about CyberPower. Other than that I haven't heard much about custom Desktops from boutiques. Falcon NW and Origin are apparently good for laptops though, so that bodes well for their companies.

If I had to buy a prebuilt gaming PC, I'd go with Puget Systems. They may be a tad pricey than others but they actually keep up-to-date on PC hardware (as evident by their blog posts) and they usually let you add a part to your build even if it isn't listed on their site. I would only recommend Cyberpower or iBuypower if I want to screw people over.

Back