Best Buy Getting Eee Next Week?

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Engadget has some rumoring that suggests Best Buy may be getting Eee’s in stock very soon.

We've had a couple of tips from readers who were told by Best Buy that new stock of the Asus EEE PC is due to hit next week (November 11th.) Seems a little iffy for new stock to arrive on a Sunday but apparently the sales representatives showed the screen to one of our tipsters, and that date was on the screen.

I don't understand the hype really on this product.

Doesn't $399 get you a budget laptop that can run rings around this thing and has more features?

If it was $199 - $250 ..... maybe.

Micro Center now sells the Eee pcs, we got them in a few days ago.
I'm actually rather impressed with it, the interface is very user freindly and the size and weight are great. Stop in at one of the stores and check them out.

Doesn't $399 get you a budget laptop that can run rings around this thing and has more features?

Cheapest notebook I've seen is a Dell Inspiron 1501 starting at $499. that'd be about the closest match.

Portability. A $400 laptop is going to be 14/15" form factor and weigh 6-7lbs. The EEE is a 10" form factor and weighs 2lbs. The only competing models in that form factor cost several times as much.

The reason it shows availability as "Sunday" is because that is the start of the likely ad push for it.

As we all know, stores will regularly have dozens of a product hidden away until it's "release date", which can be on a weekly or monthly basis for the same product based on upcoming promotions.

Also currently available at costco.com, Item # 251329

Since the Eee PC comes with a 2 year warranty standard it doesn't look like there's any warranty advantage to ordering from Costco. But then again, they have a 90 day return policy.

Cheapest notebook I've seen is a Dell Inspiron 1501 starting at $499. that'd be about the closest match.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5493353

15.4" DiamondBrite active-matrix widescreen display
1.5 GHz Via Technologies C7-M processor
512 MB of DDR2 533 system memory
60 GB hard disk drive, 5400 rpm
DVD+/-RW drive with double-layer support
802.11b/g wireless LAN
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition

I work at Best Buy. The inventory program (RSS) says none of the Houston area stores are going to be carrying this, and none are on order.

Back