Best HD tuner for OTA?

MetalDwarf

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a PVR-150 but since I moved to a new apartment I'm no longer getting free cable tv and don't intend to pay for it any time soon. I was thinking I could try and snag some US OTA since I'm actually below the 49th parallel (Victoria BC, Canada) and I have a south facing balcony for an antenna.

what is the best tuner PCI or PCI-E, i have a 720P DLP projector as display.

Hauppauge has a couple of decent tuners available (HVR series). There's also the Avermedia 780 and any ATI 650-based card. Lots of options.

As far as reception is concerned, well, picture quality is gonna be the same as they're all receiving the same signal. But I seem to remember some reviews on missing remote and HTPCnews talking about reception and the Aver card was better than some others. The newer Hauppauge cards weren't available at the time, though.

What OS are you running?

ATM Mythbuntu but I don't really like it. In the past I have run MCE 2005 and Vista MCE. Current plan is to give Windows Home Server and SageTV a whirl, but my HTPC has been sorta back burnered since moving to my new apartment. My old apartment had free cable, new ones doesn't and so far I haven't been willing to pay for it, hence looking to OTA since its free.

HTPC box is pretty slow and will probably be upgraded at some point, but not likely within the next 6 months. currently its

Sempron 1.6ghz (S754)
768MB Ram
ati X300 videocard
PVR-150MCE tuner
Auzentech Prelude

HDD failed recently so its running an old 80GB for OS and pulling media from my main rig over wifi which has 1.6tb. I'm desperately in need of more/better storage as the 1.6tb is full and my network sucks. I want to set up some kind of Raid-ed NAS I can stick in a closet but so much money... probably not going to happen in the next 6 months.

I also need a better way of interacting with the HTPC, couchmouseing sucks.

well, I think my dad is going to order one. They are only $35. I will report back here if he does...

Back