Best online backup

Is it for home or business? HIPAA or similar required?

Less than 10GB data.
Business
Law office in California. I'm not sure what regulations that is held under.
Just files to backup. Don't need a full disk image.

I'll have an on-site RAID 1 in a ReadyNAS appliance. Plus monthly archives on an as yet unknown medium. I can't decide if I want to go tape or just go DVD+R (DL). I would do a rotating tape backup strategy, but an online backup would be better.

I will have weekly full backups of files made in .zip files with 256bit AES encryption every monday. Tuesday through sunday I'll do differential backups into 256bit AES encrypted zip files.

I'd like to keep two week's worth of data on the server and have it rotate.

Consider this version one of my backup strategy. If you have any comments on how to improve it, let me know.

Thanks.

try me free for 30 days.

I guarantee it's everything your looking for and more.

http://www.korcomputing.com/trial/

And if it's the monthly cost that is getting to you, after your trial let me know if you like us and Ill make you a great deal.

try me free for 30 days.

I guarantee it's everything your looking for and more.

http://www.korcomputing.com/trial/

And if it's the monthly cost that is getting to you, after your trial let me know if you like us and Ill make you a great deal.

Sounds good. All I ask is that you match the space and price of the leading companies. I'm making my proposal on Thursday, I'll make sure you're in it.

Check out http://www.crashplan.com/

Their client allows you to store on their servers. But you can set up multiple Crashplan machines that you trust and backup between them.

Say you in Chicago, and a friend in NYC setup Crashplan boxes. And backup to each other and the data is encrypted.. And you could add in other friends from what I can tell. I've been waiting for the Linux version to try it out as the Windows version doesn't seem to like network shares to grab the data from, as most o fthe others like Mozy, don't either.

Be careful which company you choose for your backup. Not all are as as *secure* as you would think. Some aren't even running mirrors of their data and some even refuse to be held liable if they go down.

I would personally look at www.evault.com first as it is related to an HDD manufacturer. I can't speak about the others. Maybe cyr0n_k0r can give us a better sales pitch on the hardware involved for the backups :p

Be careful which company you choose for your backup. Not all are as as *secure* as you would think. Some aren't even running mirrors of their data and some even refuse to be held liable if they go down.

I would personally look at www.evault.com first as it is related to an HDD manufacturer. I can't speak about the others. Maybe cyr0n_k0r can give us a better sales pitch on the hardware involved for the backups :p

cyr0n_k0r

Tell us the pitfalls of the various companies and what features we really need.

:)

Mozy Pro

Meta Data is shared - file names, etc
Blowfish Encryption
Secure Connection to server
System Generated Key or Private Key
One Location - Tier 4 in SLC, Utah
30 day rollback (shadow volume)
Supports Larger than 3GB filesizes

$3.95/ license (machine)
$.50/ GB data / month

1 year
12th month free

or

2 year
2 months free

30 day money back guarantee

Reseller:

eVolt Backup
Dave Steel
510-868-2300

Unlimited File Size Supported
Uncapped Download/ Upload
Not mirrored site to site, but hosted in tier 4 data centers. ex. One in Emeryville, CA
Database backup compatible (ex. SQL server, MDE databases such as access, etc)
owned by Seagate. Hotplug locations in case of diaster
Their backups are kept optically, not on tape

Plan: Protect Solution

$9.50 / gig / month with 36 month contract
No setup fee
No software fee

Mozy Pro

$3.95/ license (machine)
$.50/ GB data / month

Where do you see this? As far as I can tell, it's $4.95 for as much data as you want to store. Is there a different scheme for businesses or something?

I'm tempted to sign up for their unlimited plan and make them regret having it :p I can upload a terabyte of data in a week or two...

Where do you see this? As far as I can tell, it's $4.95 for as much data as you want to store. Is there a different scheme for businesses or something?

I'm tempted to sign up for their unlimited plan and make them regret having it :p I can upload a terabyte of data in a week or two...

http://www.mozypro.com/mozy_pro/pricing

Here are the key differences that I care about between mozy and mozy pro...

uncapped download speeds
centralized admin
live database backup support

Those make it worth it IMO for the pro version. But http://www.mozypro.com/mozy_pro/comparison is the full comparision

cyr0n_k0r

Tell us the pitfalls of the various companies and what features we really need.

:)
My previous post stands about backup software. Everyone and their mother has it. Some have more features than others. Some are for SOHO, while others are meant for business use . Having features such as database support and the ability to do volume shadow copies and bit backup.

Our software is mainly for business use as it supports SQL, Exchange, Lotus, Oracle, etc. It runs on Linux, Mac, Windows (anything that can run a Java2 environment)

When looking for an offsite backup provider look less at the software and more at the service. With all the software being pretty much the same and offering almost the same amount of features you will want to focus more on what the company is doing with the data that they are backing up.

Our company has software that will backup an unlimited amount of "versions" of a file. IE, the state of a file or folder at each backup. This means a document that gets edited and re-edited can be restored and be any version of the editing that the clients want. We also use delta percentages for large files. This means that if a large file changes more than a certain percentage (which can be changed) the entire file is backed up again.

Look for service and software that will allow you to choose between incremental, differential and full backups, AND set a custom schedule for each. (which our software allows)

Now you will want to look at what the provider is doing with your data once it arrives at their center. Obviously it will be encrypted (don't ever choose a company that doesn't). For our customers, our software has a built in backend feature that replicates the data in REALTIME to a secondary data center which we have in a completely different state. This ensures our customers data is always in 2 different places should anything actually happen to our primary servers.

A company can brag all they want about how great the data center is where their servers are stored, but if they aren't backing up themselves then they don't know the first thing about how to run a BACKUP company. Mirroring your own data is first on the list of a successfull way to run a company whose primary income comes from backing up data. And if they use tapes in any step of the backup process ditch them.

Now I know many will not agree with that statement, but the fact is, its true. 99% of the companies that you guys link to that offer offsite backup service is using some form of disk-to-disk technology. Whether it be a SAN, a NAS, or attached storage, its hard drives setup in some redundant fashion. This kind of storage medium is exactly why these companies try and tell their potential customers the pitfalls of tape backup and that they should be using disk-to-disk (trust me, its a key marketing point for my company)

So to turn around and use tapes themselves in any step of their own backup procedure is at the very least asking for trouble, and at the very worst potentially running the risk of losing their (YOUR) data.

So for someone that wants to pay some company $5 per month for "unlimited" which we all know isn't really unlimited by all means do it. But for a law office, who Asgorath has said he will be backing up, you should be using nothing less than a 100% reliable solution that will never sacrifice reliability for cost. (us :) )

Just to let you all know, I talked to K0r this morning and was very impressed.

His solution allows for database backup, shadow copies (for backing up open files), file history backup, and a settable number of days that you can recover deleted files.

He isn't as cheap as some of the other providers, but I was impressed that I was able to get right through to him on the phone (imagine that if you ever need support), knew exactly what he was talking about, and really...his prices aren't too bad when you compare them to companies offering similar services (such as eVault).

Just using my space on here to give a thumbs up for a good company. I'll report back in a few months and let everyone know how its been going.

-Greg

I appreciate the kind words.

For others interested in offsite backup I hope you have searched and found this thread.
I also hope you have read through it and not just clicked on a link and figured every offsite backup service is the same so you should just go for the one that is the cheapest.

Everyone knows you get what you pay for. It's true in webhosting, and it remains true in offsite backup service, support, and features.

I finally got setup with k0r. Everything is working great. I especially enjoy that all of my backup configuration data is kept server side. If I download his download client from a different computer it loads all of my configuration so I can change backup sets off site. Also, I can restore from a webapp run in java. Very clean. Downloads ran around 1.1 MB/s which was very impressive as I tested a backup. I'm just very impressed.

Thumbs up for K0r. Way cheaper than the big names, way more features than the small names. No regrets.

Back