Best PS2 RPG

Sky15

2[H]4U
The PS2 has been out int he US for almost 7 years, and there has been a plethora of RPGS. So what is your favorite rpg?

Mine is Kingdom Hearts.

The title of the thread is best PS2 RPG, guys. As good as FFVII was, it was a PS1 game.

FFVII............ was not that great, I think its overrated.

But Ps2 game... Shadow Hearts 1/2 either one. Suikoden 2 too if you are willing to "bend" those rules.

i was told Rogue Galaxy is awesome, i just sent back god of war 2~~ (to gamefly) will try it out prob on tuesday/wednesday whenever i get time

I'll go with the first Kingdom Hearts, although I've never played the 2nd one.
FFX was good, but short of the graphics, I thought it was a step back from previous ones. I know it's uncommon, but I liked #9.

Does Ratchet and Clank count as a RPG. If so, that is a great series and started on the PS2.

I'll go with the first Kingdom Hearts, although I've never played the 2nd one.
FFX was good, but short of the graphics, I thought it was a step back from previous ones. I know it's uncommon, but I liked #9.

A little off topic but i'm playing through 9 right now and it's so fun. The story is absolutely wonderful. I liked 5 too but too bad that it is not for PS2 or PSX (well actually it is). Never played 10 though..

Noones even mentioned FF12 yet? It's definately not old enough for people to get Nostalgic about it, but it's just huger than any other RPG I've yet to play. It's fighting with Skies of Arcadia in my book for best RPG (not a US-RPG fan) ever.

Dark Cloud 1 and 2
Shadow hearts 1 and 2
FFX
Grandia 2 and 3
Growlanser Generations
arc the lad: Twilight of the spirits
Disgaea 1 and 2
Star ocean 3
shin megami Tensei III:nocturne
shin megami tensei: digital devil saga 1 and 2
radiata stories
Dragon Quest VIII
Valkyrie Profile 2
tales of the Abyss
FFXII

and soon to come
dawn of mana
Atelier Iris 3
Persona3
and Wild arms 5.

Most of the FF series was less than stunning to me (and I have a hard time understanding what drives the FFVII obsession beyond nostalgia), but I think FFXII really knocked it out of the park this time, so it gets my vote.

I didnt like FFXII's battle system... at all. I absolutely fell in love with FFX though, by far the best for me.

Most of the FF series was less than stunning to me (and I have a hard time understanding what drives the FFVII obsession beyond nostalgia)

It was an amazing game. Right now it doesn't look so hot, but if you get past that it is still an amazing game. Name a game back then with a better story line, better dialog, and better character development, with as much variety and non-linear gameplay.

I can't believe none of you have mentioned the Xenosaga series. Do yourself a favor and find copies of Xenosaga 1, 2, and 3, and play them all back to back. AS A SERIES it's easily one of the best RPG's on the PS2.

If ANYTHING play Xenosaga 3 ... it's a fabulous gaming experience in every way.

It was an amazing game. Right now it doesn't look so hot, but if you get past that it is still an amazing game. Name a game back then with a better story line, better dialog, and better character development, with as much variety and non-linear gameplay.

IMO there hasn't been a game with better story line, dialog, and character development since FF7, best of its time and best of today. I have met a hand full of people who have pasted the game and have know idea what it's about, they don't even know who Zack is. that could be a reason many people don't like it they just can't understand/follow the story.

I didn't like Xenosaga that much, WAY too many movies and not enough of the actual game, but Xenogears is legend

I can't believe none of you have mentioned the Xenosaga series. Do yourself a favor and find copies of Xenosaga 1, 2, and 3, and play them all back to back. AS A SERIES it's easily one of the best RPG's on the PS2.

If ANYTHING play Xenosaga 3 ... it's a fabulous gaming experience in every way.
I concur. The first game and the third game are awesome, the second one is middle-of-the-road, but it all ties together into an awesome package.

I never got to play the Xenosaga series. I've heard it's pretty good.

Dragon Quest VIII

Ya Ya, I know I've been playing them since the first one on the NES. So I'm kinda partial to calling it Dragon Warrior :)

I still own all 4 NES Dragon Warriors.. Too bad they never released any for the SNES.

I wasn't too fond of Dragon Warrior 7 for the PS1.

Ya Ya, I know I've been playing them since the first one on the NES. So I'm kinda partial to calling it Dragon Warrior :)

I still own all 4 NES Dragon Warriors.. Too bad they never released any for the SNES.

I wasn't too fond of Dragon Warrior 7 for the PS1.

Dragon Warrior 7 was a bitch to pass. One of the tuffest RPG's I have played. All I could say thoughtout the game was god damn I need more gold.

Dragon Warrior 7 was a bitch to pass. One of the tuffest RPG's I have played. All I could say thoughtout the game was god damn I need more gold.

Yea I would agree with that. There were tons of points in the game where you would have to do serious grinding to be able to move on and buy new equipment.

I do think I might give it a go again one of these days. I think I might just convert it to play on my PSP. My orginial discs are in storage but I still keep the ISOs handy.

I think the days of spending days just grinding to lvl to move on are over.

Back