Best pump?

Alex41290

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay, now I know this questions is a dumb one that has been asked numerous times, but my Via Aqua just died (after about a day and a half of usage) and i need a new one.

These are my options (or others) and this is what i want from it:

I want to be able to run my cpu block, gpu block, heatercore and reservoir with this pump. I want good flow rates (GPH and max head).

So, what i have gathered are these three pumps, which I would like to know which is the best and why, or another suggestion that would be better:

Hydor L35 - $64
Eheim 1250 - $69
Danner Mag 3 - $47

Thanks in advance,

Alex

you didnt listed it but the 650 from swiftech rocks.
the Danner Mag 3 will leak.
if i had to choose from one of those 3 i would go for the Eheim 1250

One thing I would recommend you check before writing the pump off. I had a similar thing happen in that my Via died very quickly, except that it hadn't actually died.

What your looking for is inside the round black cap on the impeller chamber that pops off, it has the pump intake on it. On the impeller chamber side, there will be a little gasket (that's not the right word, but closest i can think of right now) in the center of the cap that the impeller drive shaft slots into to act as the anchor for the shaft. It's only about 1/4" wide and this gasket is a seperate piece from the rest of the cap.

On my pump, this gasket somehow got jammed at a 45 degree angle to what it should have been so that gasket being out of alignment was acting as a clamp on the impeller shaft and it couldn't rotate. I popped this gasket back into place and have now been almost 6 months without any other pump problems.

I'm never buying another Via pump after seeing this, but once I fixed the gasket, the pump is working as advertised.

I don't know if this is what happened to yours, it's just something to check before you write the pump off as dead.

Diazo

I'd go with the Danger Den D4 12v or Swiftech MPC 650 (Both are the same pump, Laing D4). They have great head 10 ft., great flow 317 GPM and one of the longest MTBF rattings 50,000 hrs.

DC-Curve.jpg

Technical Data

Motor design: Electronically commutated, spherical motor

Voltage Range: 6 to 24 V DC

Maximum system pressure: 150 PSI (brass housing), 50 PSI (plastic housing)

Temperature range: -10°C to 95°C (brass), 0°C to 60°C (plastic)

Acceptable media: Domestic hot water, heating water, water/Glycol mixtures and other media on request.

Common Applications

Solar systems

Computer cooling systems

Circulating systems for homes, RV’s and boats

Engine block circulating systems

Juice machines

Aquariums and ponds

Oxygen generating systems

Vending machines

Water fountains

Process temperature control

Remote area fluid handling

http://www.lainginc.com/

Spend the few extra bucks and get the Laing D4 as Bio-hazard and others mention above. Its 12V so itll hook right up to your PSU. Itll handle 2 or 3 blocks without a problem.Youll never have to think about ur pump again.

If it HAS to be one of the 3 u listed def get the Eheim 1250, Its on sale for $59.00 at Dangerden.com right now. Link: http://dangerden.com/mall/Pumps/Pump_eheim.asp

its just, $75 for a pump seems steep, considering the prices of the Eheim and Hydor.

I dunno, thanks for the recommendations, though, and keep them coming. I will look at the Swiftech too.

Diazo, if that works, you are a saint...if not, thanks for trying :p...i will try when i get home today and see if it works...

thanks, and more recommendations please!

I'm going to have to be another to reccomend the DD D4 pump - I love mine, it's quiet, runs off a molex connector, and has great flow rates.

My mag 3 doesnt leak.

None of them will if you take a few precautions and dont do anything stupid. It is a cheap, heavy duty, and very quiet pump and will perform on par with the mcp600 and the mcp650 in nearly all watercooling loops.

It is a very solid choice if you know what you are doing.

just remember, the last thing you want is to be asleep while your pump dies on you... man then you're looking at a new cpu which is 5 times more expensive than a good pump

Gongo said:
just remember, the last thing you want is to be asleep while your pump dies on you... man then you're looking at a new cpu which is 5 times more expensive than a good pump
great point. thanks for bringing it up. a reliable pump is probably the most important piece in your line. just like people shouldnt go cheap on a PSU for risk of blowing out an entire system.

Gongo said:

You dont have your Comp set to turn off if the CPU probe hits a certain temp?

Good topic ! I'm in the market for a new pump after my 6 yr old Eheim 1046 developed a hairline crack in the inlet tube. Since I'm in Canada, I was looking at what I could get relatively soon, but I don't want junk. I was considering the D4 from DD, and the latest Swiftech, which are the same pump from looking at them. The only reason I'm hesitating is the plastic construction. In 6 years of H2O I've had only 3 equipment failures, luckily I didn't lose any hardware due to it. 2 were plastic lids on my GemeniCool WB, both the original, and the beefed up version, and now the pump. I don't want anymore plastic on critical components, I don't care what type of plastic. From experience plastic is plastic.

These are kinda new, but the initial reviews seem good, anyone try them yet ? Yes they are aluminum. Bottom 2 links are reviews.

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=140

http://www.systemcooling.com/cs_pump-01.html

http://www.modthebox.com/review323_1.shtml

Bio-Hazard said:
I'd go with the Danger Den D4 12v or Swiftech MPC 650 (Both are the same pump, Laing D4). They have great head 10 ft., great flow 317 GPM and one of the longest MTBF rattings 50,000 hrs.
Yeah...
If you can stand the noise... :eek:

CD :)

well, considering i have a POS 350W PSU that's probly gettin all the wattage taken out of it with what i have only now, i don't think a 12v solution is going to work very well...

still haven't tried the gasket thing...btw, how do u find the impeller :? its been bothering me...

so yeah, keep the suggestions coming!

if you take some precausetions with the danner mag 3 you should have no problems. I would put some RTV silicone on teh cracks just for aditional safety.

usually if they leak it is nothing major, however what they were designed for (aquariums) it does not really matter.

but see, i'd rather not have to do anything to get it to work well...but that's just cuz i'm lazy and dont' feel like possibly screwing it up (and yes, i could)...

in that case, though u all did suggest the DD 12v, i would need to decide between the Eheim 1250 and the Hydor L35...and please put WHY you would pick one or the other...

thanks!

if it were me i'd be going with the eheim. reliable and very quiet. i've had my 1048 for about 3 years now and it's worked fine with both a cpu and gpu block in the loop. 1250 has what, double the flow rate and still pretty quiet? i'd get one if i were in the market for a new pump.

The front of the Via Aqua , where the inlet tube goes in, gets turned about 1/4 turn to open the front of the pump. It can only be turned one way. You will see the blue impeller in there. Its the only thing you can see at this point. The end of the impeller contacts the front of the pump that you just removed. look at the center of the inside of the front piece and the little gasket( or whatever) thing will be in the middle of it. I just took mine apart last nite to see how to do the quiet mod. Looks simple and is super easy to open and close, no tools required. (edit: did need pliers to gently grip the impeller to pull it out of the body but thats only if doing the mod.)

Both the Eheim and Hydro are good pumps. I have both pumps and like both.
Eheim pumps are quality, but are a bit bigger than the Hydror and cost a bit more (usually)
The Hydror is also very good quality and a bit smaller than the Eheim and cost a little less than an Eheim (usually)

When my last pump died a couple of weeks ago, I decided to go with the hydror again because it performs on-par with the Eheim, was a bit cheaper and is smaller in size.

D.

thanks everybody for all the suggestions, and it looks like the Hydor L35 is getting my purchase (if i can't get the via aqua to work)

if i do get it to work, i still might get a new one, cuz the flow might not be enough....

oh well, if anyone has any "pressing" reasons for one over the other, PM me of just post in here, i'm monitoring it pretty closely...

again, thanks!

Devilpup said:
1250 has what, double the flow rate and still pretty quiet? i'd get one if i were in the market for a new pump.
A Eheim 1250 is COMPLETELY silent if you take care to isolate it well from the case.
Till I find a pump that is more powerfull AND as silent I'll keep it...

CD :)

but its also larger than most of the other pumps....

as seen here:

pumps1.jpg

so, does anyone know a direct comparison noise/performance wise of the Eheim versus the Hydor?

Diazo...you are my savior :p

i found that it was the O-ring on the inlet, so i fixed that and i'm back to leak testing! thanks mike P too, cuz i don't think i would've found it :p

so anyway, i think i'm either gonna get a new case or a new pump, depending on my temps with the "new" via :D

well, though i did fix it, the same thing happened again...

so i'm gonna return it and get the Eheim...

The best pump is a human heart, of course!

Contractions per lifetime: 2,575,440,000
Pressure changes: from 4mm Hg to 120mm Hg
Volume pumped per lifetime: 154,526,400 liters

Take care of your pump, people!

ok....i swear that post had a point...if i could only find it....

yeah, so if you have a post about a good pump for WATERCOOLING, please post in this thread. if not, please take ur stuff elsewhere

sorry :(

lol, so yeah...D-Tek emailed my dad...said he could return it...hopefully gonna make the exchange and i'll be smooth sailing...!!

well, see, the Eheim isn't that big, so i could be okay

Back