Best way to adjust LCD "retinal burn" brightness?

Sanctuary

Weaksauce
So, I ended up buying my very first LCD over a year ago. It was an Acer 24 inch, forget the exact model, but it was supposed have a 6ms gtg. Needless to say the screen was just too big, and the motion blur/ghosting drove me nuts, so I shipped it back and just ended up using my 19 inch CRT up until a few nights ago.

I just purchased a 226BW, and was lucky enough to get an "S" panel. Most of the problems I found with the Acer are non existent with this screen, and while there is some ghosting (when you are actually looking for it), it's not nearly as bad and hardly noticeable when you are simply playing games. I really like this monitor a lot, but I have one major issue with it...after a few hours my eyes feel like they are on fire. I never had this issue with my CRT unless I was on it for obscenely extended periods (8 - 10 hours). Viewing this screen sometimes is like looking at tissue paper that has a spotlight shining through it. I've tried adjusting the brightness/contrast, but when I do that I can't get the picture to "look right". It's either too dark or the colors look washed out. I've also tried the three gamma settings as well as the Magicbright profiles and can't seem to find anything specific that just "works". Often while gaming I have to shift through various combinations until the screen looks fine for the time, but then end up changing it again when I play another game, or browse the internet etc. Basically, is there a way to get a really "good" setting to where it doesn't feel like I've been rubbing my eyes raw for 60 minutes, or is this just something nasty that is common to all LCD monitors?

Its very common with nearly all LCD monitors. My S-PVA is not blinding at 20 brightness, but shadow detail is very noticeably shitty at that low brightness. My TN has to be at 0 brightness to be comparable to the S-PVA.

Manufacturers know that eye-searing brightness masks the fact that LCD black levels suck. When your white point is as bright as a camera flash, even gray looks black. Either lower your brightness and deal with washed out blacks or get some more ambient light in your room. A lamp behind the monitor helps.

I always have ambient light in the room. Initially I wanted to find a small lamp to put underneath the table the computer sits on, but I found a pretty big night-light that works just as well. I've never played without some kind of external light source. Otherwise my vision would probably be ruined by now. My vision is at the point though where my right eye cannot focus as far away as my left, and I'm just afraid that this monitor is only going to help expidite the need for glasses/surgery.

Yes this is also what i fear the most with the LG L245WP-BN screen that i have ordered will have a brightness that is too high even on the lowest SRGB brightness setting and that my eyes will hurt alot because of it. On my 17" Hitachi TFT i have to turn brightness on the screen down to 0 and then in Ati Tray Tools i have brightness -30 to get it somewhat comforting to watch but i loose alot of the darker colors because of it but it's the only way for me to sit for any longer time in front of the screen.

From what i've gathered earlier revisions of the LG screen had major problems with the backlight and it just about could make you go blind because the screen is so incredibly bright.

You may be able to adjust the gamma on your vid drivers to somewhat fix that.

Its very common with nearly all LCD monitors. My S-PVA is not blinding at 20 brightness, but shadow detail is very noticeably shitty at that low brightness. My TN has to be at 0 brightness to be comparable to the S-PVA.

Manufacturers know that eye-searing brightness masks the fact that LCD black levels suck. When your white point is as bright as a camera flash, even gray looks black. Either lower your brightness and deal with washed out blacks or get some more ambient light in your room. A lamp behind the monitor helps.

FINALLY someone who understands!!!!!:D

I use my 206bw on the text setting and it still seems to bright at times but I don't get that much sunlight so that could be it lol.

Back