Best way to window without rubber channel with steel panel.

HaxEJxuK

Gawd
What would be best way to approach this. If it is aluminum, I might get away with with filing it but I don't think it's going to com out clean with steel. I want to avoid repaint(which would be easy way out) or use one of those thin or thick rubber channels to hide cut. Main goal is to make it clean and professional looking.

Things to avoid:
-repaint
-rubber channel
-ghetto job

Any advise would be appriciated.

Thanks

1. Trace window design onto panel. Make sure the hole is smaller than the size of the window. ;)
2. Drill pilot hole in your panel.
3. Cut very slow and precise around your traced line with a nibbler.
4. Drill mounting holes in the acrylic and panel so they all line up.
5. Mount window with small plastic pop screw/rivet type things that are used in many car interiors. Or you can use some nice stainless machined bolts to mount it with.
6. ???
7. Profit!

Should look like this, or similar depending on what design you want:

window560.jpg

hmm i wonder if u can plane off 1/2 the plexi for like an inch border and mount from behind with tape to make it flush with the panel?

why not use 2 pieces of plexi, one an inch larger on all 4 sides, and the other the same size as the hole. mount the larger plexi inside, and the smaller plexi onto the larger one for flush mount look, could play around with different tint colors to be interesting also i dunno just an idea

I use the small rubber channel.

You can get it from Performance-PCs. Before you place it, rub it down with Armour-all, it will be black and shiny.

Cut the hole, place the rubber,cut the panel about 1.5 inches bigger than the hole, use Scotch Brand 4010 double sided foam adhesive tape...........shit sticks like no tomorrow.
Honestly, the rubber channel looks very good once it's placed, I was very plaesed once I did the mod.

Is there anything comparable to u-channel at an automotive store, or hardware store? Everytime I ask they don't know what I am talking about.

doesn't have to be exact same, but it should do the same job as what u-channel would do.

Is there anything comparable to u-channel at an automotive store, or hardware store? Everytime I ask they don't know what I am talking about.

doesn't have to be exact same, but it should do the same job as what u-channel would do.

You can just order it from Performance or FrozenCPU and get exactly what you want.

Channel rubber seal used to be used in automobile windows and around the windshield.

You can just order it from Performance or FrozenCPU and get exactly what you want.

Channel rubber seal used to be used in automobile windows and around the windshield.

Yeah I know, I've gotten from performance-pc's before, but I kinda need it by Tuesday for a project I am doing

Back