Beware of cheap white face DVD-R's

tomjones

Weaksauce
Figured this is the best forum to post this since, most home theater enthusiast backup there DVD collection in one form or another. I prefer to copy them and then make my own labels on white face DVD-R's but after the this incident and the hassle/low price HD's now, I may change my mind. When I'm backing up my DVD's, I usually copy them to a white face DVD-R then put a post it note on them with the name until I get around to making the label. Well on this particular instance when the sticky was removed it removed a large chunk of the white label with it. My wife thru it in the PS3 unknowingly and played the movie. Nothing went wrong and it appeared no more of the white label had come off. I figured I would make a backup of the backup just in case, mistake #1. Threw that bad boy in my DVD burner and this is the result.
IMG_20110407_170919.jpg

IMG_20110407_170931.jpg

I am assuming I bought these at Meritline, but it has been awhile so I cannot be positive.

Must have been spinning that disk at the speed of light, 25,000X perhaps?

:p

I always liked to have hard backups in case of a HD failure, but with the convenience and prices of HD's now think i will move away from them.

Start ripping your DVDs and then storing them. You won't have this problem again.

Also, wow.

My guess is it was a defect of some kind, never seen that before.

I always liked to have hard backups in case of a HD failure, but with the convenience and prices of HD's now think i will move away from them.

The price of HD's now? HD's have been cheap for quite some time now. Just buy a 2nd drive for backup purposes and keep it in a safe spot. That's what I started doing after I noticed that my copied DVD's started degrading after a couple years. Even buying the "best" blank DVD's I could find (Tayio Yuden's if I remeber correctly, the only ones still made in Japan), I still found that they start degrading after several years. Storing them to a HD is cheaper, and with a backup system, much more reliable.

Physical media is great if you have lots of tvs. Dvd players are cheap, we have one on every tv. If we had to buy some streaming device for every tv that would get expensive.

You seem to have unlimited money. Care to spot me $520 for four 3 TB hard drives to store all my movies?

You seem to have unlimited time. Seeing as how you have 12TB of data, you seem to have no problem with burning 2,858 dvd's.

I'm impressed with your patience.

Wow... Never seen that happen before.

I'll stick with using Verbatim DVDs and DVD-DLs from Singapore.

You seem to have unlimited time. Seeing as how you have 12TB of data, you seem to have no problem with burning 2,858 dvd's.

I'm impressed with your patience.

No matter what you are going to spend the time ripping DVDs or Blu-Rays to a proper format to be played uncompressed, so your point is moot. It's getting better but drives/removable media is not always the obvious choice.

Back