BF 2 demo: Why do I have to lower my settings?!

solideliquid

Limp Gawd
Hello fellow [H]ardies! I spend a good deal of money ($2200) on my Dell XPS Gen 4, before you all get a hissy fit about why I didn't build my own. I don't have the time, patience, or skills to build a computer. I am however graduating from med school this year (if anyone cares) and have the money through many sources to build a computer which will last for the next few years.

Let me begin with my specs:

P4 3.6 GHz 2MB cache
1GB DDR2-533 RAM
80 GB HD
Audiology 2 ZS
ATi X850 XT PE 256

Here's whats going on, when playing the single player and on my own made server of BF 2 (demo) I can play with everything on high on 1280x1024 with AAx6 (LCD 19").

However when I get on a server with 32 (or 64 it doesn't matter) the game becomes choppy and unplayable. I am on a fast DSL line here, and my pings almost never exceed 60. So then do keep the game running smoothly as it does in SP, I have to lower the AA to x4 and the lighting and shadows to MEDIUM. WHY do I have to do this?

Thanks for the help!

because playing with all those players requires more overall computing power than having no people or, it looks like, bots.

BECAUSE you should've payed a bit more money for anotehr gig of ram...yes...multiplayer and high settigns on high res. takes the whole gig of ram.. 1.5gig is the sweet spot for smooth gameplay...dont believe? look in ur task manager after you play with the high settings/res. in multiplayer. and you will see ur peak ram usage on max with over 1 gig pagefiling :)

Sounds normal to me. Ask yourself why G70 is coming out or even more than 2 people have SLI?

Oh and single player uses a smaller map and is generally much faster running on all fps's.

Also, this games may be one of the first that makes use of more than the 256M of video ram as well. I haven't seen any demo reviews where they use a 512M vid card and just one gig of ram, but it would be interesting.

Same problem here, it's the ram I've heard:

Athlon 64 3500+
2 x 512mb Corsair value ddr400 ram
BFG 6800 Ultra OC
Audigy 2
120 gb hd

Here's some links with other people having the same problem:

http://forums.totalbf2.com/showthread.php?t=5771
http://www.forumplanet.com/planetbattlefield/topic.asp?fid=13392&tid=1671683

This guys resolved the stuttering buying another gig of ram:
http://forums.totalbf2.com/showthread.php?t=7475

A friend of mine...has the exact motherboard with 1gb ram pc3200, amd64 3500+ and 6600gt 128mb and running everything high at 1280x960 with 4x AA+AF. His game with this configuration..wouldn't go above 760-780 on ram usage
So it looks quite clear...that either with 6800 is struggling to access the system memory...or somehow 6800 are using more system memory...or the drivers/games..are not taking advantage of the card's or system's memory

Now the game plays fine...(1600x1200 all maxed out) but the system still doesn't use more than 1gb memory..i would say that is using less that before...(on the same settings). Somehow though...there are no blips, screen lag spikes...or stutter....

I need to add my results here and I hope you guys can offer some advice:

My system (all stock):

P4 3.0C
P4P800 Deluxe mobo
1 gig Corsair 3200LL (2x512)
eVGA 6800GT 256mb
80gig Maxtor

At 1280x960, 4xAA and 8xAF, all settings on High (except dymanic lights and dynamic shadows are at medium), sound is set to software and low..... I get great results. In planes, boats, and helos I get over 90fps and often cap at 99.9. In intense fights on the ground with 15 or so troops and tanks all around I drop to 40 at the lowest and that is perfectly fine (and impressive in my opinion). HOWEVER, if I am close to a structure and a few other people and spin around really fast to aim at someone or run another direction, it stutters terribly and makes me die usually because I can't get a good aim on someone. Do you guys think that is ram or having AA on and then drawing all the new stuff that pops on the screen?

I don't think stuff like that can be patched so I need to find the perfect setting I guess. I don't really want to lower many settings because the game looks good now and lowering it might make it become ugly. Ideas?

FluxCap said:
I need to add my results here and I hope you guys can offer some advice:

My system (all stock):

P4 3.0C
P4P800 Deluxe mobo
1 gig Corsair 3200LL (2x512)
eVGA 6800GT 256mb
80gig Maxtor

At 1280x960, 4xAA and 8xAF, all settings on High (except dymanic lights and dynamic shadows are at medium), sound is set to software and low..... I get great results. In planes, boats, and helos I get over 90fps and often cap at 99.9. In intense fights on the ground with 15 or so troops and tanks all around I drop to 40 at the lowest and that is perfectly fine (and impressive in my opinion). HOWEVER, if I am close to a structure and a few other people and spin around really fast to aim at someone or run another direction, it stutters terribly and makes me die usually because I can't get a good aim on someone. Do you guys think that is ram or having AA on and then drawing all the new stuff that pops on the screen?

I don't think stuff like that can be patched so I need to find the perfect setting I guess. I don't really want to lower many settings because the game looks good now and lowering it might make it become ugly. Ideas?

For now, just turing off AA would resolve that slow down. I would bet on it. If you have AA off, you could also turn resolution up higher if you wish.

Yeah, that is what I will probably try when I get the retail copy...if it suffers from the same stutters.

Whats the big deal? Just Turn your res up, your AA on, and set everythign to high expect Dynamic shadows and lighting set them to MED... I have take many screen shots, the diffrence if barely visable in a screen shot, in game you cant tell at all...

high vs MED with those 2 settings I mean. And you spent 2200$ for that rig? WOW....

From what I can tell, Medium vs High texture settings isn't worth the extra horsepower it takes. After lowering my textures to medium, I don't have hiccups anymore.

FunkStar said:
Oh no, only 4x AA.

Prescribe yourself a tissue and go have a cry.

Sounds like somones unemployed ^-^
Jealous much?

I think out of all these people posting I have the worst machine and have no issues... But I have 1.5 gigs of ram so that might just be the kicker like everyone says..

I'm running on high w/ a 9700 pro
2600xp
1.5 gig ram
40 gig wd 8.9ms ata 100
audigy 2 zs
nf7-s abit mb

Oh but! I'm currently building a new machine.. sitting on my desk at home
radeon 850 xtpe 256
3700+ san diego
2 gig ocz 2325 timings
2 10k 74 gig raptors in raid 0
neo 2 platinum mb
audigy 2 zs

make sure your cideo card settings for aa and af are set to application prefrence...

Dr...... next time build a pc think of it as a patient...I sometimes I wish I had doctors hands when I build my computer cause my hands a little shaky....

FunkStar said:
Jealous? dude im on a 415/1150 6800gt with a 3.6ghz puter, same speed as his, wtf i got to be jealous about?, stupid wanker.

Uh who cares what pc your parents purchased for you. My point was if you're not going to be nice.. don't post at all. You seem to be mad that he's a doctor w/ nice income and you're sitting in your parents basement at the age of 40.

Useing fraps...

Settings: 1600x1200, Dynamic Lighting and Shadows at MEDIUM, everythign eles on HIGH, NO AA, 8x AF Forced.
System: 2.4Ghz Stock 3800+, 2gb (4x512mb sticks) @ 200Mhz 2.5-3-3-10-2t, 6800GT Stock 400/1000

Fraps, 30 mins gameplay, avrage FPS= 69.7 Lowest FPS=43!

Settings: 1600x1200, Dynamic Lighting and Shadows at MEDIUM, everythign eles on HIGH, NO AA, 8x AF Forced.
System: 2.4Ghz Stock 3800+, 1gb (2x512mb sticks) @ 200Mhz 2-2-2-5-1t, 6800GT Stock 400/1000

Fraps, 30 mins gameplay, avrage FPS= 60.1 Lowest FPS=20

Settings: 1600x1200, Everything on HIGH, even lighting and shadows, NO AA, 8x AF Forced.
System: 2.4Ghz Stock 3800+, 2gb (4x512mb sticks) @ 200Mhz 2.5-3-3-10-2t, 6800GT Stock 400/1000

Fraps, 30 mins gameplay, avrage FPS= 51 Lowest FPS=9!

The last setup, shows that even with 2gb of RAM setting the dynamic settings to high make the choppy, Lag, shuttering, whatevber you want to call it. But the first 2 show me that, 2gb of ram, wile it dosnt allow higher settings, it dose incress the framerate to a more playable rate... Im not sure how that website that benchmarked the dmeo came to the conclusion that 2gb dose nothing.....

FluxCap said:
You have to force AF Killa?

Yea, I useally do force things I want thru the drivers... I think setting the filetering the game to high is only like 4x...

Guys you'll get the thread closed and a warning from our friendly neighboughood mods if you keep swearing.

I haven't noticed any stuttering and I have settings maxed at 1600x1200, 2xAA, 4xAF, machine in sig.

starfury6 said:
Guys you'll get the thread closed and a warning from our friendly neighboughood mods if you keep swearing.

I haven't noticed any stuttering and I have settings maxed at 1600x1200, 2xAA, 4xAF, machine in sig.
I would hope you wouldn't have stuttering with that beast rig. :p

I am seriously considering upgrading my system to play this game even smoother. I want no stutters when I am playing competitive stuff in the future. A patch will probably fix a lot of issue with shadows and such but I may not be patient.

Yea, im sure that fx55 and 6800ultra would hold up just fine.

Arg, ill have to re-overclock my Vieocard and CPU see if I get the same resluts. Im runnign stock right now because, well, its fast as it, and my fans are quite when runnign stock.

Back