BF2 Won't Run

YARDofSTUF

[H]ard|Gawd
System in question:

Sony Vaio, new, fresh install
Pentium D 2.8ghz
2GB RAM
6800GS

Now the guy had a x700 ATI or something in it and BF2 ran. He got the 6800GS, removed ATI drivers, installed Nvidia ones, BF2 splash screen comes up and then he gets a CTD.

Now when I was there he reinstalled BF2, then the BF2 expansion and then the first update. Is this the right order?

Thanks.

YARDofSTUF said:
Now the guy had a x700 ATI or something in it and BF2 ran. He got the 6800GS, removed ATI drivers, installed Nvidia ones, BF2 splash screen comes up and then he gets a CTD.

Now when I was there he reinstalled BF2, then the BF2 expansion and then the first update. Is this the right order?

Proper order = BF2 + 1.12 patch + BF2:SF so he'll prolly need to do a reinstall once again.

As far as the CTD goes, I'd use Driver Cleaner to remove all instances of ATI and NVidia drivers debris, then install the latest NVidia drivers.

busta_cap said:
Proper order = BF2 + 1.12 patch + BF2:SF so he'll prolly need to do a reinstall once again.

As far as the CTD goes, I'd use Driver Cleaner to remove all instances of ATI and NVidia drivers debris, then install the latest NVidia drivers.
Wrong Order!, When you install the expansion it installs the 1.1 patch, automaticly, so if you install 1.12 before the patch it just gets overwritten, you have to install the 1.12 path after the expansion!!!

Diablo2K said:
Wrong Order!, When you install the expansion it installs the 1.1 patch, automaticly, so if you install 1.12 before the patch it just gets overwritten, you have to install the 1.12 path after the expansion!!!

I plead 'beer' your honor, and throw myself on the mercy of the court.

I think I remember reading somewhere that BF2 wants to start at 800X600 at 60Hz and if you change the refresh rate from that then you'll get the crash to desktop after the splashscreen. Also, I myself, got a CTD after selecting multiplayer when I was playing with a little 17inch CRT monitor at a LAN with some buddies since it was set to run at a resolution that the tiny monitor didn't support. Had to delete the stuff in the profiles folder in My documents. Don't know if that's your problem though :)

Still not working for him, He has an LCd and is at 60hz, used driver cleaner, installed it the way suggested.

Maybe BF2 is trying to start up the game at a resolution not supported by his LCD?
Go into Documents and settings\Username\My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\0001

and open video.con to change the resolution it tries to start up as.

Back