BFG GS Series PSU

Master [H]

2[H]4U
I picked up a BFG GS450 PSU the other day, and I was wondering what the internals are like. I haven't run across a review of the GS line, and when I checked BFG's site, there wasn't even a listing of the 450 model.

It's not that I'm worried about the quality, but I just don't know what the guts are. I'm guess it's a newer line, but don't know for sure.

The GS line is BFG's original PSU lineup, and it was pretty mediocre. I don't know about the 450W model specifically, but it's probably similar to the other ones. Look up a review of the 550W model to get an idea of the quality of the GS450.

Zero82z is right: The GS line is of pretty low quality. IIRC, that line is rated at peak and at 25C. So you might want to get another PSU if you're planning on using it with a relatively high power system.

The GS line is BFG's original PSU lineup, and it was pretty mediocre. I don't know about the 450W model specifically, but it's probably similar to the other ones. Look up a review of the 550W model to get an idea of the quality of the GS450.

Zero82z is right: The GS line is of pretty low quality. IIRC, that line is rated at peak and at 25C.

gahhh...

As far as I know the GS line isnt just a reboxed version of their old PSUs, zero if you have proof to the contrary please link me, I don't think BFG would do that considering their old PSU's wern't just bad, they were out of spec.

I'd wager the GS 450 isnt anything special for better or for worse.

The orginal line doesn't have the GS in it's numbering from what I can tell. I compared model numbers of the original line, and GS, MX, LS, isn't in it.

The GS PSUs aren't reboxed versions of their old PSUs, they are their old PSUs. BFG still sells them.
That is sad, as it prevents BFG from being recommended as a "trusted brand",
instead only a few specific BFG models can be recommended.

Thank you for the research,
Dave :(

That is sad, as it prevents BFG from being recommended as a "trusted brand",
instead only a few specific BFG models can be recommended.
Well, this isn't exactly new info. It's been known since they came out initially that the GS line is not very good. That was before Jon Gerow was hired to take charge of BFG's PSUs.

Well, this isn't exactly new info. It's been known since they came out initially that the GS line is not very good. That was before Jon Gerow was hired to take charge of BFG's PSUs.
Yea, we all know that the "old" ones were junk, but I didn't know they were still selling them,
side by side, with their "new" good ones.

If Jon had the authority, I believe he would probably turn their "old", "known problems" in to an artificial reef! :)

Back