BFG RMA questions/stories?

Jeff is the man. My GTX 280 failed a couple of times then Jeff jumped in and offered to run a third one over the weekend in his machine. I ran that card for lots of months after that with no probs. If and when I go back NV I'll be buying a BFG card.

I'm starting to get a little frustrated with BFG myself. They've had my GTX 280 OC with purple/pink screen of death syndrome sitting in their Quebec warehouse for a week now.

I'm looking into that right now for you. Not sure what caused the delay but I'll try to find that out and get something out to you shortly.

The BFG 8800GT OC video card has failed in my son's computer. I put in an older one and it seems to work fine.

I dont know what the warranty is on this card with BFG. Is there any use calling them to see if I can get another card?

Thanks

8000 or older should have lifetime warranty without reg.
Last time the BFG tech told me.
Just call them and get an RMA#.
You can email first but if u are in North American, they'll need you to call to create an RMA.

So far nothing but good. I've had to contact them, the wait is ungodly horrible, but at least the folks seem to know what they're talking about.

Email support is lacking, though- I've been playing Email Pong with someone there over the HDMI/SPDIF on the 285 GTX.

Card runs great still, apparently the drivers have some issue that cause the fan to slow down overtime if you increase the speed.../shrug.

ok well basically a month later and it's still showing as in the warehouse. Phoned them last week and after a horribly long time they answered and they said the Canadian warehouse was out of stock so they sent it to the American one and that it should have been shipped out this week, well it's not end of week and still nothing updated and going on close to 1 month since they reported it as being received.

I'm glad "Jeff" is here helping everyone. I'm at my wits end with asus right now and i'm not even going to get started about them. Wish all you folks the best and hand in there you will get it replaced.

Jeff is AWSOME! ... Thanks to his help last year with my issue, I'll forever be a supporter of BFG products. He personally took care of me via several phone calls and verification through the RMA process. ... Hell, he even gave me his cell in case i couldn't reach him on the work line!!! Crazy good customer service if you ask me. It may take some time to get it all done, but at least they will work with your through the process rather then just making you a number in an endless line of "next".

A few months ago, I built 3 new systems for friends and I insisted on the BFG video cards and even their power supplies as I've had 0 issues with mine for over a year now. Now I'm wanting to build a HTPC, but I'm waiting for nvidia to catch up with ATI and their bit-streaming over hdmi... then I'll be buying another BFG video card. ... Can't wait till i can send 7.1 True HD/DTS-HD to my receiver.

... ok, now i've met my ass kissing quota for the month. haha...

(my issue:http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1033472803#post1033472803)

Icon - Do I have your RMA details yet? If not shoot me a PM so I can take a look into this. If you already sent it over I apologize, it's hard keeping track of real customer names and aliases :)

It's all good Jeff, never sent ya any info before so no need to apologize at all:)

Years ago, I had a vanilla BFG 6800 AGP croak on me (bad ram- would randomly checkerboard the entire screen.) I tried getting a RMA via email first but that didn't work, but when I called them instead it was completely painless- I had a RMA within a half hour, and they sent me a 7800 GS as a replacement (which my younger sister is still using.) I've definitely owned a few other BFG cards since then :)

I used to have a BFG 8800 Gt that went dead on me. I called and asked for a Rma they asked me to describe what happened, I told them. About 40 minutes later they emailed me with everything I needed for an rma. I sent it in and within 3 1/2 days got a new card.

Jeff absolutely is the man, gotta say that he really presents a good face to the public for BFG... Best personalised support I've ever seen from a vendor.

Jeff mate, you need to get over and train up your helpdesk buddies though! Mega slow response and followup coupled with poor problem solving skills... They are letting the side down.

Thanks for sorting the RMA, the replacement arrived today and will install/test over the weekend...

Hi all, just wondering how long does it take in general for BFG to process RMA.According to my RMA tracking number they have received the card I have sent them over 2 weeks ago but they didn't repair it and ship it back yet. I sent them a 9800gx2 that was running well over 90 degrees C idle in just few minutes after turning the computer on and it would actually get closer to 100 degrees the longer it ran, and then when I start to play a game it would freeze after few minutes of gameplay because it would naturally get even hotter.

Jeff absolutely is the man, gotta say that he really presents a good face to the public for BFG... Best personalised support I've ever seen from a vendor.

Jeff mate, you need to get over and train up your helpdesk buddies though! Mega slow response and followup coupled with poor problem solving skills... They are letting the side down.

Thanks for sorting the RMA, the replacement arrived today and will install/test over the weekend...

Thanks man, I appreciate that and the feedback as well. I'll get right on that :) Let me know how the replacement card is working, and if there is an issue let me know right away so we can get it sorted out.

Hi all, just wondering how long does it take in general for BFG to process RMA.According to my RMA tracking number they have received the card I have sent them over 2 weeks ago but they didn't repair it and ship it back yet. I sent them a 9800gx2 that was running well over 90 degrees C idle in just few minutes after turning the computer on and it would actually get closer to 100 degrees the longer it ran, and then when I start to play a game it would freeze after few minutes of gameplay because it would naturally get even hotter.

Usually it doesn't take that long, but I have noticed that there have been a few delays in waiting for new parts to arrive and getting RMAs checked in (which would slow the turnaround time down), but I am looking into the issue now and will try to have it addressed and corrected as soon as possible. If you need anything from me, send me your contact details and I can take a look.

To all, I have received your PMs and emails and am working through them now, and I will get back to you as soon as I can. Feel free to poke and prod me if you don't hear back soon :D

I just sent in one of my 8800gt OC2 back because of some heat issues, had no problem getting an RMA number over the phone, i did call in once before about this issue, but didn't have the lock up issues i am had been having now.

I will update when there is news, sometime next week i think.

Jeff seems to be the man.

Update

Tomorrow is going to be exactly 3 weeks since they received my 9800GX2 and it is still sitting in their warehouse.

Edit:

Just checked again and the card has been shipped today.

Last edited:
wow Jeff definitely is the man, same day he got envolved new gts250 was shipped out. Scary to think how much longer it would have taken if not for finding this forum. Thanks a tonne jeff, you definitely deserve a payraise for all you do:D

All these "waiting a week and still no progress" worries me i must admit. I rely heavily on my 280 and at the moment I am sitting back on an 8600 which makes me cringe ;)

I had the choice to get a EVGA or a BFG and after reading many reviews on the 280 decided to go with BFG. However i did not look into the RMA part. A friend of mine told me that on his EVGA he was offered to pay $40 more at the time of purchase so that he could get the option to get a "advance rma" which means they send you a replacement card and once settled you send them the defective card so you are not left hanging there with either a step down or no card at all.

Does BFG offer this service?

I just hope that I am not one of the ones stuck waiting for weeks on end for the beasty to return or a replacement.

I have been waiting for almost a week now to get my RMA number...BFG has failed me for the first time...Jeff, could you help me? I sent you a PM.

Received a 280 GTX OCX today and I've been running it for 2 hours now with temperatures never going over 55C granted I only played WoW and have yet to play something more demanding but I still think it's at a nice temp.Took a while but I'm happy with the result.

Does anyone know why BFG ships the replacement RMA cards back with out requiring a signature? Fed Ex shows they dropped the card at my front door yesterday and of course there's no package, what idiot would leave a $600 card out in the open? Should I go through FedEx or BFG for this crap? It seems both are at fault.

well my experience couldn't be more different then the OPs. called (did have a trouble getting threw) told the nice lady that my card was broken and explained that I had already tried everything to work. she said sorry about that and got my RMA number. took a week for them to seed back an equivalent card. (it was actually just slightly better, about 50mh faster not that I will notice it). mind you this took about a week. I have never had an issue that was not resolved with BFG. They are serous about customer service.

Actually two things here. One I need to have Jeff send an atta girl to her and I need to bitch about BFG not carrying ATI cards.

Does anyone know why BFG ships the replacement RMA cards back with out requiring a signature? Fed Ex shows they dropped the card at my front door yesterday and of course there's no package, what idiot would leave a $600 card out in the open? Should I go through FedEx or BFG for this crap? It seems both are at fault.

They don't seem to require a signature, even though BFG said it would when I processed my RMA. My returned card was sitting outside my doorstep. If BFG actually told FEDEX that signature is required, then FEDEX is at fault. I would find out from BFG if they have any proof of requiring a signature.

I got an 8800GT that just died in a system, and I can't RMA because I have no proof of purchase. =/
The card has just now been registered, by me, and I can't complete the process because of this. I contacted them via e-mail and all they could say is that they can't do anything without Proof of Purchase. This is a card that was purchased over 2 years ago =/

Any suggestions on a possible recourse?

FedEx dropped the card BFG sent me at apartments office building, when I checked tracking I noticed that the manager had signed for it. I actually panicked a little when I saw the "delivered" part of tracking knowing that I didn't get it and I had something similar happen before when UPS messed up by delivering my 22" monitor to someone else. I got to the office in record time and found the card waiting there.

So i call this morning to check on my RMA status and i get some guy who transfers me to the "rma" department. I get a "The department is closed for the holiday we will re-open Friday"

Loosing faith....

I got an 8800GT that just died in a system, and I can't RMA because I have no proof of purchase. =/
The card has just now been registered, by me, and I can't complete the process because of this. I contacted them via e-mail and all they could say is that they can't do anything without Proof of Purchase. This is a card that was purchased over 2 years ago =/

Any suggestions on a possible recourse?
That sounds very odd. When I called in for my 8800 GTX OC2 they didn't even ask me for a serial number. just my phone number and they asked if i had ever registered the card, which I hadn't. Then the guy proceeded to email out my RMA number with shipping instructions after I explained what was happening with my card. Have you tried calling back to see if you get a different rep? They did ask me when I purchased the card and where I bought it from but I could not remember how long ago it was. Turns out it was about two years ago as well. I would try again and see if you have better luck.

just got a notice from Fed-ex that they received my card, lets see how the turn around is.

Everything I did was online, which was basically registering myself, and then the card. I have not tried calling, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Maybe they are less picky on the phone? Their online instructions are pretty specific =/

Everything I did was online, which was basically registering myself, and then the card. I have not tried calling, but I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Maybe they are less picky on the phone? Their online instructions are pretty specific =/

I don't know but I had zero issue once I got threw. it took me 8 days total I think.

Update for me. My 280 is not in stock. RMA Department told me sometime next week. Even then they are not sure. So in total so far.

Rang 5 times.

three of those times i was told that they did not receive it. Twice of the times out of the three mentioned i had to press them to go take a look. 1 came back with yes it's here. The next one i was told no its not.

Got sent to the RMA department only to get an automated response saying they are closed on the holiday and will be back on Friday. No dates were given just "Friday"

the next two times was a little better with the last of the two i finally got a lady in the RMA department telling me my card was not in stock. Next week it should be shipped but not certain.

On another note i see people mentioning fed ex?

The people i spoke too told me they only use UPS ground for ALL shipments.

So confused :(

@Aussienut I'm in the process of having my video card sent back, though I think I'm not getting the step up like the others have mentioned I am getting my 260 back and hopefully I won't have any problems. They gave me a tracking number and it is through Fed EX

@magicalox. At least there may be some respite for some. I'm glad you got a what seems to be a quick turnaround. So you got a Fedex # I was led to believe by two of BFG's customer support agents that they ONLY use UPS ground.

Anyone else hear anything similar?

RMA process was pretty easy for me besides the long wait time on the phone. I called in and said my 7900GTOC is tearing permanently even when it's underclocked. The CSR didn't ask anymore questions than that and proceeded to ask for my personal info. Quick and easy.

I don't think I'll be getting it back until after xmas but oh well. If they send me an upgrade, I'll consider that as a late xmas gift ;) Now I'm just debating if I should pick up another card or wait for this one to come back.

My GTS 8800 512 died last week. I called BFG tech support to get it replaced. The tech was a very nice guy, I had no arguments whatsoever getting the RMA number. As my PC is a normally a single card system, this leaves me without my computer (this one I'm on now is my wife's that is used primarily for work/school). My wife and I hopped in the car and drove to FedEx Kinko's to ship it ASAP.

I figured if I overnighted the card via FedEx and slapped the RMA label on the opposite side, it might get it to them and back quicker. Well it arrived at BFG this past Monday and was signed for by someone there. It's Wednesday now and though I may be jumping the gun here a bit, I'm a little concerned that it's fallen through the cracks somewhere.

I spoke with a few people at BFG (yesterday being the most recent) and they were helpful with their info, but today I still see no sign on the RMA site that the package has been even received yet. Again, as my PC only has one video card (currently none), this leaves me dead in the water and this old (shared) machine won't cut it for what I need it for.

Was hoping BFG could maybe see my situation and get my card back asap, but apparently the 8800's are no more. I loved my 8800 and I think BFG is a good company especially considering the warranty, but I really need to get my card back and I hate pestering anyone. I'm aware that it's only been since last Thursday that I sent it and others have been waiting too. However, I'm hosed - PC-wise - until I get the card back.

Also hoping I don't get "downgraded" to a lesser card in any rush either. :(

*crosses fingers*

Last edited:
I highly doubt that you will get a downgrade.You'll get back something that is similar in specs or even slightly better than your 8800.

Back