-bigadv, Set yourself up BIG, a users guide

I had been backing up but I thought the machine was rock solid and hadn't backed up in 36 hours.
Mistake on my part, I was hoping not to repeat the work but looks like I will have to.:(

What do I do next???
VM loaded, typed login and password listed then I get this---

root@FAH:~#

I guess I'm at step 9

What do I do next???
VM loaded, typed login and password listed then I get this---

root@FAH:~#

I guess I'm at step 9
OK, I haven't looked precisely where you are, but try typing this: ./fah6 -bigadv -smp 8 -verbosity 9

Yes it worked, but now it says ----

Could not get ID from server. Retrying...

It just keeps repeating!!

Yes it worked, but now it says ----

Could not get ID from server. Retrying...

It just keeps repeating!!
Could be that the servers are down again? A couple of my standard clients are having issues as well. :confused:

I'm thinking that I haven't completed the first 10 with my passcode. I'll look into it tomorrow when I get home from work! My i7 is oc'ed to 4ghz and primed with no errors for over 24 hours now!

I'm thinking that I haven't completed the first 10 with my passcode.
Before I completed my first 10, I was still able to receive and process -bigadv WUs. I didn't receive the bonus points yet but I did get the base points for the -bigadv WUs. It cannot be that but must be server or network related. I would just leave the client running, eventually it will receive something.

I'll look into it tomorrow when I get home from work! My i7 is oc'ed to 4ghz and primed with no errors for over 24 hours now!
One thing to note about stability testing an OC, folding is more stressful than any stability test devised so far. What's worse is that -bigadv folding has been reported by many people that it is prone to more instability than any other kind of folding. I would do a test run of several standard SMP WUs on this system first.

So I should fire up the ./fah6 -smp 8 first for a few days to see how it goes?

Last edited:
So I should fire up the ./fah6 -smp 8 first for a few days to see how it goes?

Yeah, that's what I did. I completed 10 normal smp work units with my passkey before I started running -bigadv. Kills two birds with one stone that way. You verify your OC without losing days of work and get your 10 passkey units turned in faster.

Fold On!!

Hmmmm, did you web into the VM and set your user id and passkey? If so, reboot the VM.

Hmmmm, did you web into the VM and set your user id and passkey? If so, reboot the VM.

No, it asked me while setting up.

Reads like this:

- Ask before connecting: No
- User name: Kanakis[H] (Team 33)
- User ID not found locally
+ Requesting User ID from server
+ Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID
+ Could not connect to Secondary Assignment Server for ID

+ Could not get ID from server. Retrying...
+ Could not connect to Primary Assignment Server for ID
+ Could not connect to Secondary Assignment Server for ID

My information is not changing after I reboot??

I tried setting up through web base, but Explorer can't find that IP address.
Setup through console, but no go!!

At what point do you need to do the web based info so Explorer will see my IP address?

What a pain!!

Sounds to me like your VM has some networking issues. :confused:

linuxrouter has just released yet another update to his image:

I uploaded a new image available via the guide. I added the things people asked me to add in addition to a few other things I was planning on adding in.

Here is a list of a few items updated:

- Auto-login so that you no longer have to type in the username and password on boot.

- For the web:
+ Added advmethods option.
+ Added verbosity 9 option.
+ Added static IP option.
+ Restore on boot option which does the same thing that is always enabled in 0.7 where data is backed up on shutdown and restored on boot. With this option, you can choose to enable or disable this feature. This is always enabled for Ramdisk.
+ Reboot option on Submit for web config so that you do not have to type in reboot in the console after config
+ Web based administration which is tied to a console tool called fahcontrol. These functions can be used in the web or console. This feature seems to work good for me, but may still need some work.
+ I was asked to add an option MPICH_NO_LOCAL which is reported to help with dual-core processor folding.

- Some file system optimizations that I hope will help with long delay after work unit completion. There is also the option to run the file system with nobarrier now.
- Kernel 2.6.33. This is still an rc, but has been running stable on my systems and has also given me a small boost in frame times over 2.6.32. Let me know if there are any issues with the new kernel.

The rest is in the ChangeLog.

Two quick question...

1) What does verbosity do?
2) Wht is the best way to shot down a VM -bigadv without hurting your progress?

The reason I'm asking is that my first -bigadv is uploading now and I didn't have the verbosity tag on. I also used the -smp 7 instead of -smp 8.

Last edited:
Verbose is just how much information the program reports to the log.

-verbosity 9 will give you the most info.

If I need to reboot my PC I've been suspending the VM before closing it. I have had no issues from doing this.

With VMWare Player 3 there's a dropdown at the top that's labeled VM, select that, then Power and then Suspend. Wait and then wait some more until the screen changes to where you can start or edit the VM settings. From there you can close the VM.

Yea but i think he wants to do a shutdown to change the settings.

Suspending the VM is by far the safest thing anyone can do to restart a system while running -bigadv WUs. These WUs are the most prone to anomalous crashes even if safely shut down. However, suspension and a subsequent restoration won't permit one to change VM settings or client configuration. It's best to just wait for the WU to complete and then make alterations as required.

So how do you shut down to change settings.
I just finished my second -bigadv and want to change -smp 7 to -smp 8 and add -verbosity 9.

Frickin' crap, my EVGA VM crapped out at some point overnight (@ 76%!) and couldn't resume when I fired it back up this morning. [grumble grumble] :mad: Guess I'll have to look into that backup script thing... :(

Earlier, I reported that linuxrouter released version 1.0 of his popular "EVGA image". Additionally, he now has a second version of 1.0 that uses the JFS filesystem instead of the XFS filesystem. He is hoping JFS will minimize failed work units due to shutting down before completing a work unit and maybe also help reduce delays after finishing a work unit. It can be found here for anyone who wants to try it out:

1.0 JFS (7z | zip)

From what I was reading in this thread, JFS may be the better choice for folding. If it works out well, I may move to this file system on all of my Linux folders. I have not had a chance to run it with bigadv, but have rebooted a couple dozen or so times while running several 1920-pt work units and so far no failures or lost work units.

I'll have to give it a try. In my experience I never really had any trouble with 1920pt units when recovering from a crash, shutdown or restart. But the -bigadv whole different story.
Hell I have done a normal shutdown, reboot the machine, restart client, damn corrupt client error. After taking the time to shutdown the client and wait for it to write out to disk.:mad:
Fingers crossed that this new client, file system works better.

linuxrouter's image has been refreshed again:

I added an updated image to the guide yesterday that has the new 6.29 client since it is recommended for bigadv. The image is not all that different from the previous one. These are the other updates I made since then:

- Added options to the web interface for setting the workgroup and selecting the default kernel (Intel or AMD).
- Fixed the VMX for the memory allocation issue that I mentioned earlier when memory is set above 3600MB and also increased the default memory to 4600MB
- Changed to JFS for the file system
- Added support for as few as 2-cores via the web for SMP2
- Updated the instructions in the console including additional instructions for setting up HFM.NET

linuxrouter's image has been refreshed again:
I saw the new version the other day. This version of the EVGA VM is a major update not only because of the new file system but also the additional memory support as you posted. With earlier versions, the full memory allocated to the VM wasn't used well. For example, I had 5500MB allocated on one VM and the client saw only around 4800MB. I just installed the new image and now the client sees over 5300MB. HUGE difference. The virtual HW version in the .vmx file has been changed from 6 to 7.

Last edited:
Updated both of my VM's last night with the new ver 1.1 / 6.29 client linuxrouter DL; both are running fine. :)
I had a bigadv finish a few hours earlier and stall out on DL new work; strangely I haven't received credit for the completed WU yet and that scares me. Hopefully that 50k+ drops today I guess...maybe they're playing catch up or something got goofy on my stats update. :confused:

Updated here as well. Finished a WU last night and then I setup and started the latest version.

My jaw dropped when the slider showed I could set the RAM all the way to 10000+. :eek: I definitely didn't need that much but it's way better. I checked on it this morning and everything is working just fine. (jinx alert)

Just a thought

For the A3's we found out that running with or without HT netted the same results because you can max out the core with HT turned off.

Is the same true for a BigADV VM?

Has anyone tried folding -bigadv units on a vmware ESXi server? The free edition only supports 4 CPUs, so I assume that I would need some major overclocking to get it to work?

Back