Biggest Tech Failures of The Last 10+ Years

I got burned by dreamcast. I saved up and saved up, finally being able to afford one only for it to be discountinued 4 months later.

I got burned by dreamcast. I saved up and saved up, finally being able to afford one only for it to be discountinued 4 months later.

Didn't we all? I can still whip it out and play the few games I have but I would much rather play PSO on the computer where i still get to play online. :D

Didn't we all? I can still whip it out and play the few games I have but I would much rather play PSO on the computer where i still get to play online. :D

I still have mine hooked up to my TV. It gets more use than any other console I have!

And the fact that 40% of Android's total was Nook and Fires does not give you a little bit of pause? Fire is a fork, and Nook is restricted in what it can do. Sure you can mod them but expecting most users to know how or the possible benefits of doing so is asking a bit much.

Well, the Dreamcast DID fail, and it failed so hard that it took Sega out of the hardware game. Although to be fair, it was Sega's handling of the entire thing that did it in.

Sega wasn't in a position to do more than they did marketing wise. They were literally days from going bankrupt most of that time only being saved by Isao Okawa investing his personal money to keep them afloat. Even if they had the cash to fight I doubt they could have did much to counter all the rumors and press releases that Sony put out for the PS2. And with the Xbox and Gamecube coming they had little choice but to give it up.

Phantom Gaming Console

250px-Phantom-Console.jpg

"The Phantom was a cancelled video game console that was allegedly under development in 2004 by Phantom Entertainment, known as Infinium Labs at that time. The cancelled device was supposedly planned to be capable of playing current and future PC games, giving the system a massive initial game library and making it easier for developers to produce games for the system. The system was supposedly designed to use a direct-download content delivery service instead of the discs and cartridges used by most game consoles.
The Phantom was first seen in action at the May 2004 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) as a working prototype."

snip*

"he Phantom has controversy in both the gaming and business worlds due to the constant pushing back of its release date and a number of financial scandals involving Phantom Entertainment. Phantom Entertainment has lost more than $62.7 million since its creation in its efforts to create the Phantom Console.[12]"

Phantom Gaming Console

250px-Phantom-Console.jpg

"The Phantom was a cancelled video game console that was allegedly under development in 2004 by Phantom Entertainment, known as Infinium Labs at that time. The cancelled device was supposedly planned to be capable of playing current and future PC games, giving the system a massive initial game library and making it easier for developers to produce games for the system. The system was supposedly designed to use a direct-download content delivery service instead of the discs and cartridges used by most game consoles.
The Phantom was first seen in action at the May 2004 Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) as a working prototype."

snip*

"he Phantom has controversy in both the gaming and business worlds due to the constant pushing back of its release date and a number of financial scandals involving Phantom Entertainment. Phantom Entertainment has lost more than $62.7 million since its creation in its efforts to create the Phantom Console.[12]"

I came here just to comment on them but since you beat me to it il just leave this here :)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4656809451515082378&q=Phantom+Video+Game+Console

written by an obvious apple fanboy, where are apple newton? xserver? apple cube? mini? etc, etc.
(no i won't make a joke about the late CEO) :p

written by an obvious apple fanboy, where are apple newton? xserver? apple cube? mini? etc, etc.
(no i won't make a joke about the late CEO) :p

Were the Apple Newton or cube sole anytime in the last 10 years? ;)

Reading that article, the author somehow gives off the feeling of being slanted.

How does AOL not make that list?

Or that Eyetop Wearable DVD Player from about 2006? http://needstobeglassed.blogspot.ca/2006/06/eyetop-wearable-dvd-player.html

The Dreamcast was a better system that the writer gives credit for, though... it just was poorly supported by Sega which then killed it before it had a chance. If I had to pick a terrible console from the last ten years, I'd be talking about the Mattel Hyperscan or that terribad Tiger Telematics Gizmo which makes the N-gage look like a masterpiece.

And the fact that 40% of Android's total was Nook and Fires does not give you a little bit of pause? Fire is a fork, and Nook is restricted in what it can do. Sure you can mod them but expecting most users to know how or the possible benefits of doing so is asking a bit much.

Sega wasn't in a position to do more than they did marketing wise. They were literally days from going bankrupt most of that time only being saved by Isao Okawa investing his personal money to keep them afloat. Even if they had the cash to fight I doubt they could have did much to counter all the rumors and press releases that Sony put out for the PS2. And with the Xbox and Gamecube coming they had little choice but to give it up.

Yeah, and it didn't help how they developed the dreamcast. They took their r&d team, split it in half and told each to design and build a new console. First one done goes to market, not the best one but the first one done. Other teams project got thrown away. Both teams worked hard and dreamcast team got done first. Other team had a better product but was a few weeks or months from having their console 100% finished. So the better one go trashed and the dreamcast was sent into production. They wasted so much money having two teams working like that instead of only 1 track that there was no saving them at that point.

That is what bite Nintendo in the ass for the virtual boy also. They had two teams, other team making a 3d gaming system actually had a better product, full color and some other things. But that team was further behind. As a result and it's failure the father of the gameboy who was leading that team was never given another project to lead again and was pretty much tossed in a corner and told to just sit there and not touch anything.

most of the stuff on that list (no IOmega Zip ?? wtf?) was pretty good - for some thinsg at least - but the only horrible thing i see is the NGage .. was crap from day 1 to the day it died (and that wasn't a lot of time either).

Bad list.

Vista and ME still made a lot of money for MS. And Vista real problem was it was installed on hardware that couldn't run it.

Dreamcast was great. It failed before people pirated the system to death. Every got a dreamcast and just downloaded the games :)
Well.. the epic fail was the security on it :)

i disagree with Vista. It was never that bad, it still isn't bad. It is just that most people had shitty 5 year old computers and couldn't use it or use their old all hardware.

it most certainly is not a top 10 worst for the last decade.

Yup, I thought the BlackBerry Torch was more deserving of a spot.

What ever...If I want to see a list of 'tech' that failed the monumentally biggest...it starts with a list of 'Green' investments by the Obama administration.

Wow completely crap list.

More accurate would be "marketing failures" not "tech" failures.

-Vista. After reading comments here and elsewhere, plus lots of anecdotal stories, it seems to me that Vista is actually well-liked among tech-savvy people. I personally have 4 of my computers with it, and none with 7.

I agree, I still use Vista Enterprise edition at work and have no complaints. (I did have to add a few thihngs and make a few changes to make it compatible with server administration tools though). Some of our tools dont work in Win 7 yet and Win 2008 totally sucks trying to make work with current applications. All the 'features' work differently and do not play well with required software, like siteminder and such. Not to mention R2...totally whacked.

Several that I Disagree with.. but none more then the android tablet one. Android tablets overall are a sucess. not to the same standards as the ipad by any means, but to have 40% of a market that was made popular by the ipad is a hell of a chunk in my opinion.

Back