Bios said my psu surged

zave

n00b
My bios said my psu surged. It's a Evga 80+bronze 600b my question is, is that it seems to be fine should I replace it? Or should I buy a new one?

It said it surged when? It gave you a message upon posting? Did the computer shutdown unexpectedly first? I'd probably get a voltmeter just out of curiosity but yeah... Need a new psu pretty sure if you are having shutdowns. 600w should be plenty but something in that psu is dead. If it is causing shutdowns it could damage components.

Don't forget the surge suppressor. This is often forgotten, but they do wear-down after a number of years. Even a top-quality psu can't smooth a big spike.

I actually had this happen to one of my PCs a month ago (had it happen twice in the span of 2 weeks): unexpected reboot followed by bios warning about surge.

Swapped the surge suppressor (one I was using was 12 years old), and so far been running 3 weeks straight without an issue.

So, be sure to check each device in the chain that delivers power to your motherboard (surge suppressor -> PSU -> motherboard). Start with the cheapest device, and move up form there :D

Last edited:
No I have not been getting any shut downs. Just wondering if it would be less efficient or maybe mess up the 12volt. Just found the forum recently but it's been 3 weeks nothing seems to be wrong though just a little worried.

And default thanks for the info it did trip though so it did do its job maybe time to buy a new one lol I have had it for a few years now

No no no.... It's just stupid software. Asus boards always tell people their PSU has "surged". Disable that in the BIOS or ignore it.

the only time my sabertooth Z77 board triggered the surge protection was due to my voltage stabilizer having some ground faults.. I replaced and then it was perfect again not a single issue ever..

Oh OK yeah I do have an Asus mobo. This is good info to know. Araxie would that be because you oc? Mine isn't oc able.

Oh OK yeah I do have an Asus mobo. This is good info to know. Araxie would that be because you oc? Mine isn't oc able.

Think by voltage stabilizer Araxie is talking about a device that monitors incoming power from the wall before sending it to your powersupply. Like a battery backup with automatic voltage regulation. Unless you are getting shut downs there's almost assuredly nothing actually wrong based on that message, like JohnnyGURU said. But a wonky surge protector or battery backup could be causing the software to give false alarms.

No no no.... It's just stupid software. Asus boards always tell people their PSU has "surged". Disable that in the BIOS or ignore it.

What about if it's accompanied by an unexpected power loss?

Was I right in suspecting and replacing my Surge Suppressor, or is the warning actually meaningless, and I'm just lucky it hasn't recurred in the last 3 weeks? Also on an Asus motherboard here.

Back