Black OPS release going disasterously on the PC

meme

Limp Gawd
Based on the conversation in the official forums and the Steam forums, the game is nearly unplayable.

Well, the multiplayer, at least. If you disconnect from Steam and play offline, the single player works well enough, but since everyone buys COD games for the multiplayer, this is quite the mess.

Something is causing everyone to get frequent lag spikes, apparently the game freezes up constantly. Dual core users are reporting 100% CPU usage.

Presumably whatever problems or bugs are causing the multiplayer to be unplayable will be fixed, although I don't know if the dual core problem will be.

Unfortunately (perhaps) for me, I preordered the game, it will be arriving tomorrow. I can hope that the lag spikes will be an easy fix and that it will be taken care of by then. Hope springs eternal.

Dunno dude, but the multiplayer is fine from what I've experienced. Played about 3 TDM games and 4 wager matches.

Dunno dude, but the multiplayer is fine from what I've experienced. Played about 3 TDM games and 4 wager matches.

You're the only person so far I've seen say that it's working okay. Are you actually playing on the PC, or on a console?

I'm sure there's plenty of people who are playing and enjoying the game. All you're seeing is the people who are having issues post others are busy playing.

If people with Dualcore CPU's are reporting 100% CPU usage, maybe it's time to pick-up a quad.

All in all, I'm picking it up Wed when I get paid and I'm sure there will be a patch to fix any zero day issues.

PC.

Anyway, yeah, like I said, it's been fine. The only problem I'm having is finding populated north american servers, but that's because it hasn't been officially released yet.

On a side-note, I did have annoying stuttering once during single-player, but an alt-tab fixed it. So there's that.

I'm waiting to hear how it is before I drop the cash on it... hopefully I'll find a small deal on it by that time, I'm tempted to order it from Amazon for the $20 future game credit, except I don't know of any other games I want to order right now that I could use it on by 11/30/2010 :(.

This is why I refuse to buy any of these games. I played a little bit of the COD's..but they have just gotten progressively worse. $60 for a mediocre game. Granted, the single player is fun, but seriously $60/8hours of single player is NOT good dollar/hour if you ask me. The multiplayer in MW2 was terrible, and I don't expect this crappy console port to be any better. They want your money, and they DO NOT care about the PC anymore.

What's going on? My steam still says "9 November 2010
This game will unlock in approximately 10 hours"

Is this game accidentally unlocked? There's another thread where a guy has it unlocked.

This is why I refuse to buy any of these games. I played a little bit of the COD's..but they have just gotten progressively worse. $60 for a mediocre game. Granted, the single player is fun, but seriously $60/8hours of single player is NOT good dollar/hour if you ask me. The multiplayer in MW2 was terrible, and I don't expect this crappy console port to be any better. They want your money, and they DO NOT care about the PC anymore.

Yep, it's VERY overpriced when you can go get a 5-7 good Steam games, both multi and single, for the same total. It's sorta like a concert ticket though I guess... you pay a premium for getting to see it first: personally I'll wait a couple of weeks and grab it for $20-30... if not, I'll wait another few until I do ;). The game looks fun but there's nothing that amazingly PC-only compelling that I need it *now*.

What's going on? My steam still says "9 November 2010
This game will unlock in approximately 10 hours"

Is this game accidentally unlocked? There's another thread where a guy has it unlocked.

It's unlocked for people who bought it at retail already. Steam purchases won't unlock until 10am EST.

personally I'll wait a couple of weeks and grab it for $20-30... if not, I'll wait another few until I do ;).

mw2 was full price on steam for almost a year so.. you might have to wait a year for the next CoD to come out for that price..

I'm tempted to order it from Amazon for the $20 future game credit, except I don't know of any other games I want to order right now that I could use it on by 11/30/2010 :(.

11/30/2011 amazon is not that mean;)

I'm sure there's plenty of people who are playing and enjoying the game. All you're seeing is the people who are having issues post others are busy playing.

If people with Dualcore CPU's are reporting 100% CPU usage, maybe it's time to pick-up a quad.

All in all, I'm picking it up Wed when I get paid and I'm sure there will be a patch to fix any zero day issues.

No, this isn't the usual "A bunch of people who have various bugs complain on the forums".

This is "Everyone on the forums says the multiplayer game is unplayable and they all have the same problem".

Check out this thread on the steam forums: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1570196

Everyone on the official forums says the same thing... or at least, they did for the few hours today that the official forums have been up. They were down almost all day, up for a few hours, down again now.

As I said, I have found only one person so far anywhere who says the multiplayer runs ok, and that is AceCR42 from earlier in this thread.

Based on the conversation in the official forums and the Steam forums, the game is nearly unplayable.

Well, the multiplayer, at least. If you disconnect from Steam and play offline, the single player works well enough, but since everyone buys COD games for the multiplayer, this is quite the mess.

Something is causing everyone to get frequent lag spikes, apparently the game freezes up constantly. Dual core users are reporting 100% CPU usage.

Presumably whatever problems or bugs are causing the multiplayer to be unplayable will be fixed, although I don't know if the dual core problem will be.

Unfortunately (perhaps) for me, I preordered the game, it will be arriving tomorrow. I can hope that the lag spikes will be an easy fix and that it will be taken care of by then. Hope springs eternal.

so far from what i've heard all the problems with lag spikes are mostly in Australia. which is kinda surprising since gameservers is hosted in the same buildings as all the major ISP backbones in that country. also the people reporting 100% cpu usage on duel cores makes me wonder what graphic cards they are running. its the only thing that would cause a bottleneck like that. since the COD4 engine doesnt run any complex cpu physics theres no reason that would cause 100% cpu usage like BC2 with havok physics does.

also the person saying it probably has all the mw2 multiplayer code in it. doubtful, the games built on top of COD 4. just like mw2 was built on top of COD 4. theres no reason to build it on mw2 when all the mw2 features are still in the same cod4 engine minus some of the useless textures IW added into mw2.

Here a youtube video illustrating the PC problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v4sTtbdwlE

I only watched the first minute, where the player died 3 times due to these lag spikes, but I assume the rest is the same. The game freezes completely for 3 or 4 seconds, no sound, no movement, nothing. Over and over and over.

Yep, it's VERY overpriced when you can go get a 5-7 good Steam games, both multi and single, for the same total. It's sorta like a concert ticket though I guess... you pay a premium for getting to see it first: personally I'll wait a couple of weeks and grab it for $20-30... if not, I'll wait another few until I do ;). The game looks fun but there's nothing that amazingly PC-only compelling that I need it *now*.

It's unlocked for people who bought it at retail already. Steam purchases won't unlock until 10am EST.

CoD games don't work like that. They stay overpriced for years.

I only watched the first minute, where the player died 3 times due to these lag spikes, but I assume the rest is the same. The game freezes completely for 3 or 4 seconds, no sound, no movement, nothing. Over and over and over.

Sounds like IWnet.

Here a youtube video illustrating the PC problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v4sTtbdwlE

yeah looks like some insane packet loss and the games trying to catch up with it which is why its losing sound.

My last CoD purchase was the first Modern Warfare. I've gotta agree with this and cannot justify $60 for the single player enjoyment I'll get out of it. I'm not interested in buying any more console ports either, so it doesn't matter how low they get, I won't be enjoying them, ever.

People slating the game and saying it's unplayable and bitching because they've got shitty dual core cpus, the minute it's been released?..... wow....dicks.

People slating the game and saying it's unplayable and bitching because they've got shitty dual core cpus, the minute it's been released?..... wow....dicks.

Well as long as their rig meets the official minimum specs the game should at least be playable albeit with some of the eye candy and other goodies turned down.

Dual core CPUs should be running the game just fine. There is nothing "shitty" about them since they can run all the other COD series games and most other games (few are quad optimized) without problems.

Anyway, Joystiq has a review up, and the short of it is that it's as good as any previous entry in the series MP wise; SP is sort of hit and miss much like MW2. Didn't see whether they commented on length, though.

Come to think of it, i bet this is a steam issue more than anything. I can imagine most of the testing was done outside of the steam app. Either way i'm sure there will be a steam update soon.
Reminds me of that damn steam in-game community bug at startup on MW2 , did that ever get fixed?

How would Steam be the problem? If there are dedicated servers why would Steam get involved? I guess it would as far as community features and buddy lists and groups and what not but I don't see how it could cause laggy games.

Then again I'm kind of a Steam n00b so iono.

My last CoD purchase was the first Modern Warfare. I've gotta agree with this and cannot justify $60 for the single player enjoyment I'll get out of it. I'm not interested in buying any more console ports either, so it doesn't matter how low they get, I won't be enjoying them, ever.

Yup. I impulsively decided to buy MW2 because I thought I'd give it a shot before completely ripping on it with out actually playing. I bought it or $50 when it was on sale (BOY, WHAT A SALE :rolleyes: ), and I completely regret the purchase. Haven't even logged in 100 hours and now the game has moved on. It's like paying $60 every year to play the same game as everyone moves to the new, exact same version.

And like others have said in this thread, no the price never goes down on CoD games. It will stay full price (with the exception of $10 off sometimes) until the next release-then it maybe about $40 (MW is still $30 and MW2 is still $60 atm, but will probably drop to $45-50). Absolute nonsense.

The "map packs" are also going to be laughable as usual. $15 for SIX MAPS. OH BOY NOW I SPENT $75 FOR A GAME WHICH WILL BE IRRELEVANT IN A YEAR. OH WHAT'S THAT? A *SECOND* MAP PACK? $90 IS NBD....Can't believe people pay for and put up with this garbage.

Last edited:
Picked it up at midnight. Single player runs fine, no FOV adjustment for SP. MP has FOV adjustment, thank God, but is laggy ATM.

How would Steam be the problem? If there are dedicated servers why would Steam get involved? I guess it would as far as community features and buddy lists and groups and what not but I don't see how it could cause laggy games.

Then again I'm kind of a Steam n00b so iono.

I've found that steam can make games buggy as hell, just hosting the game client side. Granted there are dedicated servers this time so who knows, could be a complete cluster fuck of issues, i just wouldn't be surprised if Steam has something to do with it.
Lets look at a possilbe cluster fuck issue:

-- Dedicated servers not quite ready? Still being worked on while live maybe? They fucked up?
-- Steam clinet bugging out hosting the game client side?
-- The game is maybe more multi-core efficient?
-- The game still being DX9 can still push detail in masses and work PC's and VRAM, could be that some of the people are underestimating the power needed?
-- The amount of people downloading/preloading the game will be insane hitting steam networks?
-- CoD:BO isn't ready in genreal and Treyarch fucked up?

Who knows! Hopefully (doubtful) somebody will own up to a screw up and it'll be fixed in a day or two.
Apparently it's fine on console, my mate is still playing now when he got it 5pm last night and keeps taunting me.

Last edited:
The "map packs" are also going to be laughable as usual. $15 for SIX MAPS. OH BOY NOW I SPENT $75 FOR A GAME WHICH WILL BE IRRELEVANT IN A YEAR. OH WHAT'S THAT? A *SECOND* MAP PACK? $90 IS NBD....Can't believe people pay for and put up with this garbage.

You wish 6 maps! Try 3 :p

By the way, a look at http://store.steampowered.com/stats shows that the peak number of players for COD Black OPS today was 16,249. That's much less than the number for MW2, Counter strike, etc.

So the problem is not that there are so many players that Steam or the servers are overloaded. Something is just F'ed up.

By the way, a look at http://store.steampowered.com/stats shows that the peak number of players for COD Black OPS today was 16,249. That's much less than the number for MW2, Counter strike, etc.

So the problem is not that there are so many players that Steam or the servers are overloaded. Something is just F'ed up.

Yes quite right, though i'd like to see the amount of downloads for this game at the moment.

That's because the game is still locked for everyone except those who got retail copies in certain countries. Player numbers will shoot up tomorrow.

Considering it works fine with Steam offline... hmm... maybe, just maybe... it's a Steam issue? Yeah? Ever thought of that?

Of course not! Steam is infallible, Valve is perfect! It must be Treyarch's fault :rolleyes:

Back