Black Screen Of Death

Rebel44

2[H]4U

This happened to cracked Vista SP1 :) It looks like MS started eliminating cracked systems - You get message that your OS is illegal, your wallpaper is replaced by black wall, you get message asing for valid Product Key several times per day - if you dont enter valid Product Key you wont be able to use your windows after 30 days:p:D

LOL (btw. I bought my copy of Vista more then year ago:D)

This system was (AFAIK) activated using BIOS hack.

This wont disable system immediately - it will nag you for 30 days (everything will work OK) and after that system will only allow you to enter valid Product Key and activate your OS.

This is how Vista with SP1 behaves after the 30 day trial period has run out.

MS decided that the 'reduced functionality mode' introduced in the original Vista release was too strong, and so changed it in SP1 so that it randomly changes the wallpaper to black, disables Aero, and nags you with activation and validation reminders.... yet the operating system still functions and you can still run Windows applications.

Previous to Service Pack 1 when the 30 day grace timer ended the system would enter 'Reduced Functionality Mode' wherein you could do nothing but run Microsoft Internet Explorer (for only 30 minutes at a time if I remember correctly) until you entered a license key and validated it online or over the phone.

SP1 DID introduce several updates to block the BIOS volume license key cracks that were floating about, so it's possible that the system in question updated to SP1 and then reverted to non activated status once the BIOS crack was discovered....

Back