Bonicoid

digital_exhaust

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2008
Hope this isn't old news... but damn, now we can DC on our phones. Who woulda thunk it?

Now, of course, I would imagine that this would absolutely slaughter the battery in my phone, but still..... just thought you might find it interesting!

Why do I foresee "Farms" of last gen smart phones on the horizon?

/shivers

/me starts a "Phones for Farmers" campaign and starts flooding everyone with plastic envelopes.

Time to find a wholesale lot of smartphones with broken LCDs

Well, it is interesting.

But as I don't have a land-line phone anymore, I rely on my cellphone too much for me to want to run this. If I forget to plug it in, or turn off Bonicoid I run the risk of not having battery when I need it.

The work units would have to be very small for those cpu to complete them in a timely manor.

There's a lot of BOINC projects that are quite light on the requirements. The one that comes immediately to mind is FreeHAL, which occasionally spikes to 1% CPU usage from what I remember. And the units are small, some kid in Germany is running the whole thing on a single laptop so he can't have much for storage. The second one is QCN that just uses accelerometers (which a lot of phones have).

I'd be interested in this if my phone wasn't such a piece of crap. Nobody ever calls me anyway. :D

Ah ha! That sounds really interesting..... have to look into that a little bit.

Interesting indeed, and it has the potential to show benefit immediately. Imagine if there were enough people in Haiti running it in the days and hours before the quake hit.

Back