Bose Tri-Port in ears

I know the general consensus on Bose headphones are that they are over priced for their sound quality, but if I was able to get them for say $33 do you think that would be worth it? I need a set of in ears that are under $50 bucks. I have a pair of JVC HA-FX34's but I don't really like the way they sound.

Yes, I think the Bose should be a good deal for $33. Just make sure it's not a knockoff. However, the im616 (based on the ER6i) will probably sound better for $50.

EDIT: I should point out I've never heard the Bose in-ears. I'm just guessing that can't be much worse than the JVC Marshmallows or Creative EP630s in the $35 or less range. I have no idea how such hype surrounding those two mediocre models could be stirred.

Well the marshmallows don't sound bad if you do a few mods. If the Bose sound anything like their big brothers then they are a bargain for the price. I just wanted to see what some other people think.

From reading opinions over at HeadFi.org I've noted the IEM Triports just don't live up to Bose's claims, but that's Bose for you. I tried the IEMs in a Bose outlet store here in Vegas recently, and from the moment I pressed Play on my Rio Karma (old, yes, but still the best sounding DAP I've ever heard and many people agree) the Bose IEMs just sounded tinny, without appreciable bass depth, no real punch (amazing for an IEM), and just not worth the cost, period.

I can appreciate that Bose puts a lot of time and research into new products, but really, they could be compared to Apple in many respects. Their products should be considered a niche line of devices because they may look like cool technology, but they just never live up to the hype. "Bose bashing" is almost a sport of Olympic proportions at HeadFi.org and some other audio enthusiast sites, and as someone that's owned Bose hardware over the years, I tend to agree.

The Bose IEMs just don't match the audio quality of other competing products in the same or close to the same price ranges. I'd be hard pressed myself to pay even $33 for 'em after hearing them with my own ears, unfortunately. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, so take that opinion and do as you wish with it.

I'd say hit the HeadFi.org forums for yourself and glean some more info from far more reviews and opinions, then take a chance on 'em if you're so inclined. There are far worse IEMs in that price range, I assure you, but there are far better ones for a few more ducats too. ;)

There are threads on this already.
Search is your friend.

Well, it's not a big secret that Bose is overpriced in its price range if you bother to do even the slightest bit of research. The OP wanted to know if that headphone would be alright at $33, not the $100 or whatever Bose normally charges.

Well I went ahead and got them. I can return them if I don't like them so its no loss ether way.

Bose is never worth it unless it is free. Even then, I would give them to someone I dislike.

Back