Bought a refurb iPod Touch...

coolie_d

2[H]4U
and holy crap, am I impressed. I was looking for a new toy, and the iPod Touch seemed like something really interesting, with the multi-touch interface and all; so off to Apple's site I went.

It was at that point that I realized it wasn't Apple's site at all, it was the Loch Ness Monster.... And he said "I need about tree-fiddy".... (wait, wrong story, sorry :D)

Actually, it was about that time I realized that if I bought a refurb, it'd be $100 less than buying new. And reading the fine print, I realized that there was absolutely no point in buying new when refurb is shipped in brand-new condition anyways, with a full 1yr warranty.

Well, let me just say, I was impressed right from opening the shipping box. The refurb is shipped in a different (but still very Apple-esque) package, it was white with attractive gray lettering; and the unit was packaged internally with every precaution a new retail unit is packaged with.

I immediately hooked it up to iTunes and applied the 2.0 firmware for full functionality, What a beautiful design, slick from the casing right down to the shutdown sequence. It's really easy to sync via the Exchange server at work, and the WiFi implementation seems to work extremely well (was getting good WiFi in areas at work that our laptops usually can't get connected)

I downloaded the GTS racing game from the App store, and what an intuitive thing steering with the accelerometer is. And finally, i've never had a finer mobile web browsing experience in my life short of a full laptop; multitouch makes the webpage zooming so effortless it's almost like you don't have to do anything.

I haven't had too much time to play with much more, but this thing seems to be the best toy i've ever purchased. (And probably the first iPod i've ever bought that will have more apps than music on it)

God damn Loch Ness Monster....

Apple is going to be lowering the price of their iPods to separate the price points of the iPod line from the iPhone line.

Just a heads up.

God damn Loch Ness Monster....

Apple is going to be lowering the price of their iPods to separate the price points of the iPod line from the iPhone line.

Just a heads up.

Yup, heard about that, and thought about waiting. But then I decided I really wanted the thing, and didn't want to wait for a price drop. Considering the capabilities, it was still a better deal than the off-brand Chinese mp4 touch screen player I was also considering.

I love mine as well.

I am shocked you think the wifi range is really good, it fails in comparison to my laptops. But all my laptops have really good intel wifi cards in them so maybe its an unfair comparison. (my T61 is the master of picking up an excellent signal)

To be honest, the laptops at work all have Broadcom chipsets for wifi, i've never tested it with my personal Acer laptop with Intel 3945 wireless. So it's the Broadcoms i'm comparing it with.

Well, I didnt mean anything by my comment even though it came off as a bit harsh :p

It is better than a lot of wifi cards thats for sure.

ive had one for a while. a friend gave it to me (one of his drivers ran it over) box crushed, but product works fine. first thing i did was unlock or hijack it. i felt like a kid in a candy store. all the apps and games, i dont think ill ever have the time to try them all. enjoy your ipod touch.

I also just got a iPT, posting from it right now. I got mine from a student who got on the promo going on now. He sold me it for $150 brand new.

I love it as well. I thought about getting a smartphone w/wifi bit i'm glad I got this. Battery life isn't the greatest on 2.0.2 so I hope the next firmware helps. My favorite app so far is Pageonce.

And now I'm considering one as well since eReader released a great eBook reader for the iPhone and iPod Touch. But the best advice I can give (and I'm not even an owner yet):

Get an InvisibleShield on it, fast. Like, yesterday fast. Like, past tense future fast, right now fast. :)

I have a friend with an iPod Touch and he got the full body coverage for his ($25 and worth every freakin' cent). He loves showing it to people and pulling out a car key and really going at the thing and then handing it to folks and they're simply astonished there isn't a visible mark or scratch of any kind on it, and the touch functionality isn't hampered in any way.

I'm pretty tempted to get one myself soon if I can bring the money together, probably get a working used one off Craig's List, and as soon as I do I'll be ordering an InvisibleShield. Go check out some of their YouTube videos with the stuff they do to iPhones and iPods these days with the shield in place. Amazing technology... hell, it even causes the device to stick to glass somewhat. ;)

You should have waited a week or two for the new ones that are about to come out. Sorry if I just ruined your purchase. :p

You wouldn't happen to know if the iPod Touch fits in the dock thing if you have a case on your ipod touch would you? I'm interested in getting one and I've been wondering about this.

I can say that my iPod Touch has FAR better Wifi range than my Acer laptop had, and it did have a Intel wireless card in it, and the Touch could pick up wifi that my Acer couldn't even think about finding. Enjoy your Touch! I have for almost one year now!

Back