Bought a Seasonic X-560 and can't boot computer!

vjcsmoke

Supreme [H]ardness
So I decided to get a Seasonic X series PSU because of the rep and good reviews. Plus I wanted a quiet PSU.
x-560psu.jpg

I've got everything plugged in but it won't start.
x-560pluggedin.jpg

What's that weird plug off to the side of the 24 pin mobo cable?

Another weird thing is they didn't give me a 4 pin motherboard cable.
x-560split8pin.jpg

I tried using half of the 8 pin one included, but the video card doesn't power up, nor do the fans on the computer. Can't even get a post screen.
Where's my 4 pin plug Seasonic?? Any idea why it won't boot?

does the mobo receive power? if it doesn't respond to the power button then check the switch

The mobo is not getting enough power because none of the fans connected to the mobo are spinning. The video card fan isn't spinning either and it's connected via its own PCIE modular cable. Is my X-560 DOA?!

Well this sucks. Time to RMA. :(

Last edited:
Do you have a multimeter? The problem with the X-series units is that the fan doesn't turn on at lower loads, so the normal PSU-jumping trick won't work since you won't be able to use the fan as a sign that the unit is running correctly. However, if you have a multimeter, you can jump the PSU and use it to check and see if the proper voltages are being supplied.

The mobo is not getting enough power because none of the fans connected to the mobo are spinning. The video card fan isn't spinning either and it's connected via its own PCIE modular cable. Is my X-560 DOA?!

Well this sucks. Time to RMA. :(

I dont mean if it starts, I mean if it receives power, there should be a led that lights up when the PSU is connected, or when the PSU switch is to the on position. not the power button

You can try shorting it, jump the green wire on the 24pin connector to a ground (black), and plug some fans into it. If the additional fans you plugged in don't turn on then it is doa, if they do that rules out that it is totally dead.

I did a little research because I was curious myself. I currently have a Rosewill RP500-2 and am awaiting the arrival of my Corsair 750TX. The Rosewill has a 4 pin connector and an 8 pin connector for the motherboard. On the detail page it says "1x 4-pin ATX12V Connector / 1x 8-pin EPS12V Connector". On the detail page of the newer Corsair it says "1 x 12V(4/8Pin)". So there's your answer. 4 pin is for ATX and 8 pin is for EPS. However, there should be other connectors for your video card, probably split into 6/8Pin.

Im pretty sure most newer motherboards wont boot if you dont have the 4pin plugged in. So you can test it using a paper clip like munkle said with the 24pin to see if the fans turn on. And did you look really close at the 8pin cable, cause I've seen ones that split in half.

If the short works, make sure everything plugged in correctly. Most PSU now have a 8-pin that splits in half.

I got the PSU working now! Looks like this one requires TWO leads plugged in for the 24 pin motherboard cable. In operation the PSU is fairly quiet, although not silent. As far as lowering noise, this product delivered what I was looking for when I went ahead and invested $130 on this PSU for the family computer. The hardware performs as well as expected once I got it working and setup properly.

The only disappointments for me lay in the following areas:

1. Seasonic's complete LACK of directions and/or diagrams concerning installment of their PSU cables in the manual. So you can print your manual in 20 different languages but don't dedicate a single page to show how to properly plug them in? Err can we say brainfart, Seasonic?

2. One of the modular sata cables had a cracked sata head. I'm planning to ask Seasonic to ship me a replacement. There shouldn't be any cracked cable heads in a product of this caliber.

3. The Seasonic modular cables were harder to work with, plug/unplug than Kingwin's solution, which this product replaces. More of a minor gripe, but still, you'd expect them to design the cables to be as accessible and painfree as possible for the consumer.

I got the PSU working now! Looks like this one requires TWO leads plugged in for the 24 pin motherboard cable. In operation the PSU is fairly quiet, although not silent. As far as lowering noise, this product delivered what I was looking for when I went ahead and invested $130 on this PSU for the family computer. The hardware performs as well as expected once I got it working and setup properly.

The only disappointments for me lay in the following areas:

1. Seasonic's complete LACK of directions and/or diagrams concerning installment of their PSU cables in the manual. So you can print your manual in 20 different languages but don't dedicate a single page to show how to properly plug them in? Err can we say brainfart, Seasonic?
Honestly, if you couldn't figure out that you're supposed to plug the entire cable into the PSU, that's your own fault.

I got the PSU working now! Looks like this one requires TWO leads plugged in for the 24 pin motherboard cable. In operation the PSU is fairly quiet, although not silent.

Under around 200W (DC), the X-560 should be silent. Based on what I saw in your PC, it should absolutely be under 200W most of the time. Even my GTX 460 / Core i3 box only runs around 200W DC with FurMark and Prime95 (which just makes my X-650 that much more overkill).

Back