Brisbane Available at Newegg

AMD new architecture CPU, must be purchased as a combo

* BIOSTAR TFORCE 550 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 550 MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
* AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADO3600IAA5DL - OEM

* Original price: $193.99
* Discount: -$25.00
* Combo Price: $168.99

Even better. Way to fuck the consumer yet again, Newegg. Force them to buy a POS mobo. Mmmm hmmm. How's that bumrush?

Even better. Way to fuck the consumer yet again, Newegg. Force them to buy a POS mobo. Mmmm hmmm. How's that bumrush?

More like screw over AMD. Nobody going to buy this when you have to buy a combo.

funny. i was toying with the idea of buying a cheap am2 mobo and modding the crap out of it

i've also been waiting for 65nm K8 pretty anxiously

however, i don't have the money to go with both at once right now :(

it will only be like that for a week or so.. not that long and by then hopefully something other than a 3600 X2 will be out...

Newegg says cache is 512 x 2. However wasn't the 3600 spose to half half of that?

God, what the hell is wrong with AMD? While Intel is increasing the cache to 1x2mb per core and 2x2mb per core, AMD is decreasing it...

No combo necessary, now.

Edit: oops, nevermind. The combo doesn't exist?

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/11486
http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/11490

AMD's 65nm L2 cache looks to be slower
by Scott Wasson - 01:26 pm, December 21, 2006

After we published our first look at AMD's 65nm Athlon 64 X2 processors yesterday, some of you raised questions about funky performance numbers you'd seen from these 65nm CPUs at other sites. We focused on power consumption and overclocking in our initial look at the processors, assuming those would be the most interesting aspects of the die-shrunk parts, which were billed as otherwise offering performance identical to their 90nm predecessors. We should have known better, given the difference in L2 cache performance we noticed between 130nm and 90nm Athlon 64 processors during AMD's last die shrink.

Problems occur before IMC.

One has to wonder where AMD is headed with this. Certainly more cache isn't going to help... their whole problem is that the cache latency was already far too heavy.

I just ordered mine, anyone else get one? or see any OC reports?

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q4/athlon-65nm/index.x?pg=4

Just to verify that the overclocked CPUs scaled well in terms of performance, here's a look at Cinebench rendering speed. Looks like the overclocked chips scale up more or less as expected. However, the Athlon 64 X2 can't match the Core 2 clock for clock, as the matchup of overclocked 5000+ versus Core 2 Extreme X6800 reminds us.

Be warned!
These chips are a little odd as overclockers, as early samples from a new fab process sometimes tend to be. They 5000+, for instance, would POST at 3120MHz and boot into Windows just fine, but when I ran Prime95, it wouldn't just throw a computational error when things got bad—it would up and reboot the whole system. There seemed to be little room between stability and "prone to fiery death."

These guys aren't Intel Fans or anything.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q4/athlon-65nm/index.x?pg=4

Be warned!

These guys aren't Intel Fans or anything.

amd chips have been like that for a long time actually... my 146 went from prime stable to random reboots in about 50 to 75mhz. my current sempron is a little better, but still only around 100 to 150mhz of headroom between stable and maximum screenshot. a far cry from the ~300mhz my clawhammer had, and the ~700mhz my 631 has

More like screw over AMD. Nobody going to buy this when you have to buy a combo.

I'm certainly not, and I am shopping for a CPU and MB. I need a mATX case +CPU. I looked at Brisbane. It looks great, but not with the mATX choices offered. I bought an ABIT NF-M2, and I'm currently CPU shopping. I'll buy a CPU from somewhere else before I get saddled with crap on the single-most important part of my system. If your MB sucks and lacks features, guess what the rest of the system does.

I'm certainly not, and I am shopping for a CPU and MB. I need a mATX case +CPU. I looked at Brisbane. It looks great, but not with the mATX choices offered. I bought an ABIT NF-M2, and I'm currently CPU shopping. I'll buy a CPU from somewhere else before I get saddled with crap on the single-most important part of my system. If your MB sucks and lacks features, guess what the rest of the system does.

well i have a tforce 939-6100 and i love it. i run gskill pc 4400 and a 3000+ @ 289x9 and i love it. ive read up on the 550 and it seems to do atleast 275. does any one know of a good 2 gig kit for the 550. i was looking at this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820231087

any imput would be nice

well i have a tforce 939-6100 and i love it. i run gskill pc 4400 and a 3000+ @ 289x9 and i love it. ive read up on the 550 and it seems to do atleast 275. does any one know of a good 2 gig kit for the 550. i was looking at this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820231087

any imput would be nice

Will the MB need a BIOS flash to recognize the Brisbane? Could that be why there is the enforced combo? People like me without an extra AM2 sitting around will be in trouble if that is the case, and it won't POST.

brisprime.jpg

stable 24/7 OC

Wow, Dillusion great OC! For a ~$120 CPU that's kickass. I'll be satisfied if my 4200+ Windsor gets to 2.4, thrilled if it gets 2.6.

These Brisbane cores might turn out to be real winners.

EDIT: Dillusion, what cooling are you using and what case is this in. Thanks.

I really want to buy one tonight, i'll be saving a ton of money and it looks like they oc awesome.

Anyoen else have any input?

Wow, Dillusion great OC! For a ~$120 CPU that's kickass. I'll be satisfied if my 4200+ Windsor gets to 2.4, thrilled if it gets 2.6.

These Brisbane cores might turn out to be real winners.

EDIT: Dillusion, what cooling are you using and what case is this in. Thanks.

Silverstone TJ08, and AMD stock 4-heatpipe HSF

I really want to buy one tonight, i'll be saving a ton of money and it looks like they oc awesome.

Anyoen else have any input?

No input from me except I'd like to see how your OC goes if you get one. Anywhere in the neighborhood of 2.8 ~ 3.0 is a damn good performance hike from stock. You for sure can't touch an Intel MB + Core 2 for the price and not at all in mATX.

MB makers need to get off of their butts and make a solid, OC'able C2D MB for mATX. Until then, there isn't much choice for the budget enthusiast. I would have gone C2D in a heartbeat had I an Intel mATX MB to use that had decent OC options.

C2D at 3GHz is easy:) There are other cheap ATX boards though, why mATX? Anything else I say would sound like a flame.

Yeah but your forgetting to mention that the low end c2d chip costs as much as the brisbane processor and mobo together.

c2d performance can almost be had for the same price as a c2d chip alone.

That for the budget enthusiasts like me that like to purchase best bang for buck.
Will definately get their $$$ worth out of the brisbane it seems.

C2D at 3GHz is easy:) There are other cheap ATX boards though, why mATX? Anything else I say would sound like a flame.

Because I have an mATX case. If you know of an OC'able mATX motherboard for C2D, please stop by the SFF forum and let us all know about it, because that is some great new information that I haven't heard.

Back