Budget Gaming Rig Advice Needed

Finneal

n00b
All,

A buddy of mine is interested in building a budget gaming rig (800-1000$) in preparation for the diablo 3 release next month and of course this is the place to go for the [H]ard advice.

He will be reusing his 22" monitor (1080p), keyboard, and mouse.

He will need everything else tho including Windows 7 OEM, a DVD writer, and I would like to squeeze in a 120 GB SSD.

So in total, we will need:

1) Case
2) PSU
3) CPU
4) HSF (if not a boxed CPU)
5) Mobo
6) RAM
7) GPU
8) SSD
9) DVD Writer
10) Storage HDD (1-2 TB)
11) Adapter bracket for SSD
12) Windows 7 OEM

He won't be doing any overclocking.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am on the exact same boat! getting a budget gaming rig for d3.

The first question you will be asked: "Can you wait for IB?" :) it is coming April/May. I would suggest that you might as well wait for it. Even if you are not getting the IB, the SB's price will drop. (I HOPE!)

The only 1 thing that I am worrying about getting IB system is that they will be first gen IB products... v1.0 is always bad...

OP, please answer the following questions:
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? UEFI? etc.

The first question you will be asked: "Can you wait for IB?" :) it is coming April/May. I would suggest that you might as well wait for it. Even if you are not getting the IB, the SB's price will drop. (I HOPE!)
No they probably won't: Intel generally sells new CPUs around the same price range as their older CPUs and will often keep the price of their older CPUs high. When Intel does have price drops, it's usually for the extremely expensive CPUs (i.e $500 or so) Just look at the Core i7 950: it's still around the same price as its last price drop in 2010.

The only 1 thing that I am worrying about getting IB system is that they will be first gen IB products... v1.0 is always bad...
Not always bad but just not optimal.

The pc will be used for gaming, browsing, and ms office.

I am located I'm good ole dfw, US.

As far as mobo features go, my buddy will be keeping it simple. No raid, no sli/crossfire, no firewire, etc.

Thanks again for all your help.

1TB drive or 128GB SSD? Which one matters more to your friend?

I'll be honest: I'm taking a shot in the dark here with the GPU:
$190 - Intel Core i5-2400 CPU
$203 - Asus P8H67-M PRO/CSM Intel H67 mATX Motherboard + Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit OEM Combo
$38 - G.Skill Value Series F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$220 - MSI N560GTX-Ti-M2D1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB PCI-E Video Card
$120 - Hitachi Desktar 7K1000.D HDS721010DLE630 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$18 - LG GH22NS90B DVD Burner
$66 - SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W Modular PSU
$50 - NZXT Source 210 Elite Black ATX Case
----
Total: $905 plus tax and shipping.

Back