Budget Laptop?

xdivenx

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking to get a laptop. I need some help and suggestions.

My budget is at most ~$700. I want to be able to play 1080p matroska files (using DXVA or not), play older/ less demanding games at average settings (CSS, L4D, 2142, warcraft 3), and have a nice keyboard layout. I am looking for something between 13 and 15 inches, 16 would be a stretch. My main concern/question is how far the x4500 can be pushed in playing older games and movies (with DXVA). I have also thought about getting an Asus N10J for its 9300m, however its small screen size just seems like it would be a nuisance for long term use. (I will be taking this on vacation for 3 month intervals). I also don't care for its thick bezel.

Oh yeah, also please no white laptop reccomendations.

Thanks!

The 4500 MHD should be able to decode HD files, but other codecs might need to be software decoded:
Enhanced support for a high definition experience.

Outstanding Blu-ray* logo capable, HD video playback with full hardware decode from AVC/VC1/MPEG2. Improved HDTV connectivity with integrated HDMI and DisplayPort* supporting up to 1080P.

Gaming though, nope. My HD 3200 (one slight step down from ATI's fastest current IGP) doesn't even play those games you listed "at average settings." If you want to play the games you listed, get a laptop with a discrete video card. A new laptop might be out of your price range. I've seen Inspiron 1520 laptops with an 8600M GT in the Dell outlet for under $700.

asus laptop at best buy is nice. its around 900 though. i know a bit over your budget.......wasnt sure if it could be found elsewhere cheaper.

The 4500 MHD should be able to decode HD files, but other codecs might need to be software decoded:

Gaming though, nope. My HD 3200 (one slight step down from ATI's fastest current IGP) doesn't even play those games you listed "at average settings." If you want to play the games you listed, get a laptop with a discrete video card. A new laptop might be out of your price range. I've seen Inspiron 1520 laptops with an 8600M GT in the Dell outlet for under $700.

Really haven't looked into dell, but I certainly will. Thanks.

Actually, all I can find for the 1520's is 4330's, which are quite beneath an 8600GTm.

Asus makes a 650$ 14" laptop that best buy carries with a 9400m graphics card. Not great, but should be able to handle older games.

Asus makes a 650$ 14" laptop that best buy carries with a 9400m graphics card. Not great, but should be able to handle older games.

dell's inspirons are scarily cheap laptops. and, for whatever reason they are the most popular choice when it comes to movies and tv (anyone that has a laptop in a movie or tv show is using an inspiron. all of them.) so about once a night i watch tv and just cringe a little knowing that somebody out there is using another inspiron.

i would take a serious look at the asus...

Here's a hot deal in your budget: http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=266353&t=1348171 You can get 35% off on several different configs, making pretty nice 1520s and other models available in the $600 range. If you want a 13.3" LCD laptop, those are available too.

Too bad you don't want a 17" laptop. The 1720 w/9600M GS & 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo is one of the better deals for abour $615 after coupon code.

edit: wow, that MSI laptop above is a pretty nice deal.

The 9300m GS in the Vostro 1320 for $600 (Slickdeals thread) should be able to play CSS, W3, and L4D. Not sure about 2142.

Thanks for all the suggestions, once I make a decision I will be sure to report back.

Occasionally you can find Dell Latitudes and others at the outlet with Nvidia graphics for less than $700. D620s have Quadro 110Ms(GF7300 equivalent), D630s have 135Ms(GF8400M equivalent), and the E6400s have 160Ms(9300GS equivalent)

Back