Build Check - Haven't built in a long time, would appreciate some feedback

cyberslag5k

Limp Gawd
Looking for a machine to game and work with (I'm a game developer). I'm pretty flexible on what's below, but I did make conscious choices for just about everything. I live 10 minutes from a Microcenter, so I'll get them to price match/beat anything on the list, so if there's something cheaper to be found elsewhere, please let me know. The price is okay at around $1,000. I could go a little higher, if it was a meaningful difference (I build my machines to last, the one I'm replacing is 4 years old and it's still performing pretty well), and I could certainly go a little lower.

I went with an i7 for the hyperthreading, because I've been doing some streaming, and it's conceivable that I could do some pretty computationally intense things. The difference in price (especially with that great Microcenter deal) is worth it to me.

I'm open to a GeForce GTX 770, if there's a case to be made there, but it looks to be twice as expensive, while offering only 20% of the performance. My Radeon 5500 has lasted me for nearly 5 years, so I'm thinking the 760 will do just fine.

I'm a big fan of Intel and ASUS, as you can tell. I've had nothing but good experiences with products from both companies.

I guessed on the PSU (I'm assuming 650W is enough, especially since I have no mechanical or dedicated optical drives). RAM I Just picked one by Corsair that looked like a decent price. They were all pretty much in the ball park.

I don't plan to overclock at all.

Happy to provide more info, if that would help. And now, the build:

Pretty version

Ugly version:
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.98 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Intel 335 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($238.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT NZXT H230 White ATX Mid Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $1093.90

Thanks!

What's the max resolution of your monitor?
Are you planning on getting a monitor with a larger resolution any time within the next six months?
What games are you planning to play?

Which "computationally intense things" are you considering?

Why aren't you going with the i7-4770K or taking advantage of one of Micro Center's processor/motherboard bundle deals?

Tiraides brings up a good point:

It's actually going to be a tad more cost-effective for you to get the overclock capable Core i7 4770K. Time for some math: The Asus Z87-A from OutletPC actually has a rebate price applied to it (main reason why I despise PCPartPicker). So its actual price is $140 shipped. Add that together to the Core i7 4770 from Microcenter and you get a subtotal of $390. Now, Microcenter is running a $35 off deal for the Asus Z87-A if you buy it with certain Intel CPUs. The Intel Core i7 4770K happens to be one of those certain Intel CPUs. So the math from Microcenter is: $280 for the Core i7-4770K + $150 for the Asus Z87-A - $35 off bundle savings which equals to a subtotal of $395. $5 more and you technically get a more expensive CPU that you can overclock later on if you wish. Remember that the Z87-A is a very capable overclocker as shown here at HardOCP.

You are ok on the PSU front; a 650w power supply will do fine and gives you enough power to add more components in the future.

About the GPU, if you don't mind me asking, why are you looking at the 760? Seeing that you had a Radeon 5500 in the past, would you consider any newer cards by AMD? If you need to stay in the $200 range, the Saphire 7950 can be a good alternative/updgrade.

That 5500 is the reason why I've gone with a 760. The card performed well, but I almost always had issues any time I wanted to update my drivers. I used to get excited about it, having owned only Nvidia cards in the past, but with this card I got in the habit of only doing it when I absolutely had to.

Never again.

Hadn't planned on OC'ing, but I pivoted when it was pointed out to me that the prices were about the same with Microcenter and went with the 4770K.

I bought and built the machine on Saturday. I'm very pleased. Thanks for the suggestions, all!

Is it safe to assume that, save for the processor, you bought everything in your OP?

More or less. Got a cheaper PSU and Ballistix RAM, and a Fractal R4 (they didn't have the H230).

Some modular (except the 24-pin and CPU power) 600W Corsair that they have for like $50-60.

Hadn't planned on OC'ing, but I pivoted when it was pointed out to me that the prices were about the same with Microcenter and went with the 4770K.

I hope you don't need VT-d for your work as the unlocked processors lack it.

Back