Build for VMing/Work computer (H67 or ... ?)

lowteckh

Supreme [H]ardness
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Something about running VMs (not my PC...); total work computer that'll eventually become a file server when it's outdated

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$800, tax/sh incl.

3) Where do you live?
Westcoast ;) Online ordering only

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, Ram, Video card, Hard Drive, PSU, Mobo

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Random leftover case

6) Will you be overclocking?
No

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
24-26"

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Nao

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
Needs to run 2 monitors.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yar.

---------
Okie, before anyone answers, I'm looking at more of an opinion between H67 and P67. I'm leaning heavily to the former (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.575895) since it makes the most sense (integrated graphics[!!!], no O/C) for its use so really it's a question of "is there a reason I shouldn't?"

Because there's a general tendency to recommend more/better than what's really needed in the name of "future proofing" and whatever reasons, I just wanna put it out there that this is first and foremost a work computer. It's going to be a very very very boring computer. Modular PSUs, high speed ram with low latencies with blinged out heat spreaders, massive kilogram tower heatsinks: unnecessary.

Rest of the parts:
CPU: i7 2600
Mobo: Gigabyte H67-UD3H
Ram: Cheapo 4x4gb kit (like the PNYs for $65AR [expired])
Video card: .... H67
PSU: Some Corsair/Antec/whatever for $50 (no, it really doesn't need 10000W and 1000amps of power. Really.) Maybe this Corsair 430CX
HD: Fast high capacity HDD that isn't from WD (cuz' I don't like them, or the 4 of them that died on me these past couple years)

But the main question: H67 or no?

I don't know much about the H67's ability to run multiple monitors.

You may want to compare the price of buying four individual 4GB DIMMS versus a 4x4GB kit. For the most part, it seems to be cheaper going with the former rather than the latter. For example:

G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR3 1066 kit (cheapest 16GB kit I could find on NewEgg) - $190
Geil Value PLUS 4GB DDR3 1333 DIMM (one of several cheap 4GB DIMMs available) - 4 x $40 = $160

Get the Antec NEO ECO 520C and Samsung F3 HD103SJ from NewEgg this week. Both have promo codes that drop their prices down to $50 and $55, respecitvely.

I'm just wait it out on the ram prices since they come down every week in boatloads now. Would have gotten 2 sets of this http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2565143 but too late.

Googled and checked out a couple threads on running dual monitors on a H67; seemed fine.. guess that's that.

Wasn't the F3s the drive that were stupidly loud? Or were those the F2s? I know it was either the F2 or F3 that had a lot of complaints on noise.

I've had no problems with the noise on my F3s... but noise is highly subjective.

IIRC, however, I thought the F2s were the ones with the noise problems. But I could be wrong.

Meh whatever, not my system anyways! Off to blow someone else's money.

Back