Building A Linux PC Questions, Concerns, Helpful Links

The Doc

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to get into Linux, and I was leaning toward building a Linux computer; however given the mass number of Linux distributions this could be quite the daunting task. I realize that the newer the Linux distribution the greater support there is in terms of components. Well, with that been said I'm looking for the following support in terms of hardware:

1) CPU: P4/CD2, A64/X2
2) Any Modern Chipset
3) SLI or CrossFire
4) SATA
5) RAID Support
6) PCI-E Video Cards

How difficult will this be? Are their any build guides for the various Linux distributions? What about Linux drivers for SLI and CrossFire? What games will run under Linux?

You should be fine with an AMD64 X2 CPU and I would look for a nVidia chipset board and GPU as well. nVidia has an amazing Linux team and even help customers directly at nvnews.net forum if you get stuck on the way!

Don't buy an ATI card for linux. I have a 7300GS in my HTPC, and the card in my sig in my main rig. They perform about the same in linux. I wouldn't blow money on SLI either. If gaming is your thing then turn back now. Games for Linux are few and far between.

Back