Building a new A8N32-SLI rig, anything I need to know?

Gaiden133

[H] Ninja
I've built computers before, and about to build my next dual core rig. I've chosen the A8N32 mobo as my choice SLi board, and will be building everything probably on monday once all the parts come in. I've read on the threads here and seen a whole lot of information regarding this mobo, and just picked up a few things:
1. NVFirewall & NVActiveArmor = useless? Don't even bother installing it? So I assume that you should be able to either not install it on the CD setup menu or disable it somewhere afterwards?
2. I will be using an x-fi platinum soundcard, so I would have to disable on-board sound in the bios ?
3. Really noob question, but havent had much expreience with SATA drives. I have a 160gb Seagate Barracuda just sitting here at home, never been in a computer. Planning on installing it in the new rig, I won't need any drivers besides the SATA ones in the ASUS A8N mobo right?

My build:
A8N32-SLi Deluxe
AMD X2 3800+
eVGA 7800 GT CO SE
Seagate 160gb SATA HD
Memorex 52x CD burner/reader
G.Skill 2x1GB Extreme Series DDR400
Antec Truepower II 550w
Coolermaster Centurion 5
Viewsonic va1912wb

Besides that; any other tips regarding the mobo or build I should know? Or any tips on installing everything?

1. theres been problems with it. dont install/enable it. when you are installing your nf4 amd chipset drivers, near the end it will ask you if you want to install nvidia networking jive. the answer - fuk no.
2. disable it to prevent them from bumping heads. find this in integrated devices.
3. righty right.

install amd dual core cpu driver (find on amd website) dont worry if you dont do thus right away.
install winxp dual core patch.

good luck

vanilla_guerilla said:
1. theres been problems with it. dont install/enable it. when you are installing your nf4 amd chipset drivers, near the end it will ask you if you want to install nvidia networking jive. the answer - fuk no.
2. disable it to prevent them from bumping heads. find this in integrated devices.
3. righty right.

install amd dual core cpu driver (find on amd website) dont worry if you dont do thus right away.

good luck

Thank you, that was good to know, especially about the two driver/patch updates =)

Anyone else?

Gaiden133 said:
I've built computers before, and about to build my next dual core rig. I've chosen the A8N32 mobo as my choice SLi board, and will be building everything probably on monday once all the parts come in. I've read on the threads here and seen a whole lot of information regarding this mobo, and just picked up a few things:
1. NVFirewall & NVActiveArmor = useless? Don't even bother installing it? So I assume that you should be able to either not install it on the CD setup menu or disable it somewhere afterwards?
2. I will be using an x-fi platinum soundcard, so I would have to disable on-board sound in the bios ?
3. Really noob question, but havent had much expreience with SATA drives. I have a 160gb Seagate Barracuda just sitting here at home, never been in a computer. Planning on installing it in the new rig, I won't need any drivers besides the SATA ones in the ASUS A8N mobo right?

My build:
A8N32-SLi Deluxe
AMD X2 3800+
eVGA 7800 GT CO SE
Seagate 160gb SATA HD
Memorex 52x CD burner/reader
G.Skill 2x1GB Extreme Series DDR400
Antec Truepower II 550w
Coolermaster Centurion 5
Viewsonic va1912wb

Besides that; any other tips regarding the mobo or build I should know? Or any tips on installing everything?
Here's something to read:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/mainboards/display/asus-a8n32-sli-deluxe-update.html

In the 1009 BIOS the default SB to NB frequency multiplier value is WRONG!!! (2x=400MHz, should be 5x=1000)

I had terrible screeching noises in FEAR and popping noises in HL2 whenever I used SLIAA. (AFR SLI mode with 4xAA was fine - see sig for details).

By opening up the linkwidth to 16|16 and the multiplier to 5x, I'm running with SLIAA16x and 16XAF (12x10) in HL2 and loving it! This board rocks. The other two posts here covered the drivers. Have fun--you will not regret it.
Z

dont but that vid card, for 2 reasons, one is that there was sopossidly a recall on them the 7800 gt co se and two is that the 7900 is comin out very soon

vanilla_guerilla said:
vanilla_guerilla,

can you provide linkage to the MS XP Dual Core Patch? I've done several searches over there, but have come up empty.

Back