Building an AMD and have some quesitons want opinions...

JasonG

Limp Gawd
Finally decieded to just go ahead and bite the bullet and build a fast and quiet gaming rig. Well at least as well as I can :p . Some things I'm pretty sure I set on are Antec P180 case with a Phantom 500W PS, several of the Nexus quiet fans for the case, Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 8 and a few things I'm gonna reuse from my current PC(1gig PC3200 corsair xms ram, 74gb Raptor and 250gb storage drive, DVD' drives and CDRW).

Now for the things that are still up in the air... CPU - either a 165 or 170 Opteron which I wanna do on air, possibly use a Thermalright xp90 with another small quiet fan on it too. Any other options on hsf that is quiet that help me OC an opteron to 2.4-2.5? Which processor would you choose to try this with? I know both will prob make that ghz without much problem but even if I get a crap build date I'd still like a decent OC.

MB - lotsa options here A8N-SLI Deluxe(as the premiums I think have has some problems) or possibly a A8N32-SLI Deluxe, looking for something stable with the ability to OC a wee bit and still be quite so I'm looking for the fanless options here but of course value everyones opinion.

VidCard - here is the one place I'm thinking of skimping and just getting 1 7800GT for now to suffice, but of course have SLI for later when prices come down a bit and be able to put another one for more performance down the road. Of course I'm open to suggestions here too, Flavor of vid card, or even possibly ATI. Feel free for more opinions here as I'm sure there will be plenty. :D

Now rather than making another post I'll ask another in here... I'm thinking of a fresh copy of windows xp pro sp2 for my Raptor and of course keeping the other as storage drive/games. Just wanting to know if there would be any problems with moving some programs and games from my raptor to my storage drive now before installing in the new PC then freshen my Raptor with new Windows and install my storage drive and run the games programs from there? I don't think there would be any problems with that, but some of you guys know more than me about that stuff.

Thanks for reading if ya made it this far, and if you see anything else just post it up or ask me. Again and allways, thanks guys.

Jason G

opt 165 + dfi sli-dr or expert and 7800gtx. The $100 saved on the 165 vs 170 will afford the gtx over the gt.

I still can't look at the Antec Phantom psu and not think of a gaming console that's been rumored and in litigation for over 2 yrs now.

I've been hearing that the X-fi cards are having compatability issues with NForce 4 mobos. This isn't in all cases though, and maybe resolved by now.

Flexion said:
I've been hearing that the X-fi cards are having compatability issues with NForce 4 mobos. This isn't in all cases though, and maybe resolved by now.

I am pretty sure this has been resolved, either by a bios update or a firmware update on your x-fi if need be?

Thanks guys. I assume the Opteron will run fine with either of those MB's. Since I want to OC the proc a bit I've also read up on DFI mb's. Any opinions on those? Thanks

JasonG

dfi is the enthusiasts choice. It has every bell n whistle and is great for overclocking. I have one, eclipse has one, you should get one too!! (peer pressure, just do it) :D

hehe :p There are lots of DFI's out there. I've looked at them and can tell some suttle difference between the few. Any way to link me a few? Or just the specific one you reccomend. :D Thanks again.

JasonG

expert is the new one that has more space between the pci-e 16x slots and better power regulations and more fine-tuning allowed in the bios (some of which can allow you to run 4x512mb at 1T)

all the lanparty nf4 boards are the same with some slight slightl differences
nf4 sli = exactly what it is, sli board by default
nf4 ultra-d = same board, just with an nf4 ultra chipset, sli is possible with a mod
nf4-d = still same board, just with the plain jane nf4 chipset :D

nf4 sli = exactly what it is, sli board by default

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pro....jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3449&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=US

So one like that would be a good option... Seems the quiet series is only for Pentium M's. How loud are the fans on the standard Lanparty MB's? I was hoping for an option without a fan on the MB but of course if it's quiet thats all that matters. Of course I could allways replace that little fan with something aftermarket. hmmmm Fast and quiet isn't as easy as I thought it was gonna be. lol :p Thanks again.

Jason

it's pretty quiet for me.. just make sur eyou keep good airflow over the chipset ;)

if you can't deal, you can always get an aftermarket heatsink

lol I'm sure I can deal with it(rig now makes alotta noise, just build for gaming) but I'd prefer to stay as quiet as I can. :)

JasonG

Been looking around and reading up the best I can. I think this board is what I need..

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert

I looked at the non-expert one and it doesn't support x2 proc. This one does, so if I'm gonna use an Opty this would be what I'd want, is that correct? And of course I'm talking to you Mr. Eclipse since ya know a bit about these boards. :p Of course anyone else in the know can pipe in. Thanks in advance.

JasonG

all the s939 dfi nf4's support dual core ;)

however, the expert *may* overclock a bit better, but at the expense of some user-friendliness

(cf)Eclipse said:
all the s939 dfi nf4's support dual core ;)

however, the expert *may* overclock a bit better, but at the expense of some user-friendliness
qft

You forgot the nf4 dr series wich adds 4 extra sata ports and raid 5 :p

ah, useless :p
for the money you spend on the board, you can buy an add-in card that might have a bit better performance :cool:

8 to go!

(cf)Eclipse said:
you can buy an add-in card that might have a bit better performance :cool:

8 to go!

Add in card?!? The hell you say.......the only thing that gets plugged in them useless slots is a couple of vid cards
:cool:

I don't need no stinkin add in cards.

hahaha, i have a sata card in the rig i'm using now, but it doesn't have native sata, so i don't have much choice :p :D

3 :p

Back