Building new comp, Any help pls?

MzL

Limp Gawd
hi im building a new comp and i live in australia

here what i want

CASE - Lian Li PC-A05B Black Aluminium ($165.00)
MOBO - ABIT IP35 Pro M/board - P35, 1333MHz FSB, Dual DDR2-800, Dual PCI-E x16, SATAII 300 RAID, Dual GbE LAN, USB2.0, 8-Ch Audio, ATX ($233.64)
CORE - CPU INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q6600 2.4GHZ 8M GOSTEP ($369.00)
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-800 PC2-6400 1GBx2 - $209.00 ($325.00)
PSU - 620W Corsair HX-620 ATX ($181.17)
HEATSINK - Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme ($72.00)
(prices from a local computer store in perth)

im just a casual gamer with counter strike.

i haven't really thought about what heat sink to get and wether to OC or not

i havn'et put down a video card because im waiting for the 9800 to come out and will use my 8500gt for the time being.

im proably on a $1500 budget (aus)

pls comment me and any advice you would like 2 share

thanks~~:)

(editedwhatiwanted)

I'd drop the P5K Premium unless you NEED the features, it's way overpriced.

Beyond that..it looks fine. If you're going to overclock, then I'd check out Thermalright's Ultra 120, Sunbeam's Tuniq Tower, or Arctic Freezer 7 if you're not going to be doing anything too heavy.

Only thing i see is if you wanna save some $$, look into getting an abit ip35 pro and perhaps put the extra cash saved into getting extra 2g (2x1g) or 4g (2x2g) sticks; ie total of 4gigs ddr2800. Goodluck on your build, im sure others will have advice on what to improve.:D For HSF, look into ultima 90 from thermalright.

thanks for replies

i won't be doing major OC

but i want a small, silent and fast comp :)

for 64-bit OS i heard that if u go over 3gig in ram it drops in performance

for 64-bit OS i heard that if u go over 3gig in ram it drops in performance

Actually, you have that backwards. That is the case for a 32-bit OS because it cannot see memory address past approx. 3GB. For 64-bit, the more ram the better.

I agree with others about the mobo. It is very expensive and if you aren't going to use the features, the Abit IP35 Pro is a better value. However, as I just mentioned in another thread, right now many vendors seem to be out of the Abit boards and others have increased the price. Newegg has gone up $25 on that board in the last 3 weeks. Even at that price, I think it is a better value though and it is a rock solid mobo.

o thanks frogger42

yeah the priemium specs and features are a bit 2 much for me

and i might go for the abit ip35 and shall try grab one asap :p

Rather than post in your other thread again, I thought I'd come here... Since you said you'll be doing either no, or little overclocking, you can easily get away with even the cheapest pc6400 (or even pc5300 for that matter, but 6400 is very cheap and plentiful & gives some upgradability & headroom for any future 333 FSB CPU you might get)... And still be ripe for a pretty sweet overclock on that 6600. Q6600 FSB=266, at stock pc6400 speed (400), 1:1 ratio, you'd be doing 3.6GHz. In other words just go for the Corsair you originally mentioned, or pretty much any other brand of pc6400. Considerations to keep in mind (for you in AU) - price (of course), what's available, warranty along w/ do they have an RMA facility near or would you have to ship to either somewhere in the EU/US in the event of an RMA (likely)?

They'll all likely be running Elpida or Promos in them. Not as good as Crucial/Micron in most cases, but you're not looking @ a super overclock anyway and they'll still easily be able to take you to anywhere from nothing -> 50% overclock before you need to start worrying about adjusting volts or timing on the memory.

As for the retailer issue, sorry can't help you there, maybe a fellow Aussie will pop in and help w/ some suggestions for either an AU based place, or someone they KNOW that will ship your way.

ps Good choice on the PSU :p. I don't have any experience personally with them, but they are probably in the top 3 here at least in popularity. You should be able to get away w/ a 520HX and still have plenty of power for a G9x, but it never hurts to have some extra power for future expansion.

[edit] Did a quick google search, and came up with PCMarket.com.au. No idea if they're any good, and there's certainly more e-tailers down under as well, but it's a start..

They don't seem to carry Lian-Li, so that's a wash there.

The Corsair 620 runs $192, you can save a bit w/ the 520 @ $169, if you opt to go witht he 450VX, that'll run $133.

The Abit IP35 clocks in @ $210, you can save a further ~$30 by opting for the IP35-E ($182). Not sure how it compares in either performance, or what features are left off this board compared to the vanilla IP35 or IP35 Pro.

On the memory, you looking @ ~$200-$250 for 2x1GB pc6400...WIth A-Data being the cheapest ($191), Corsair, G.Skill, etc coming in higher of course...

Back to the case thing.. I'm not usually a fan of case/PSU bundles, but they have the Antec Sonata 3, with included Earth Watts 500w PSU which clocks in @ $227... Seasonic based PSU if I'm not mistaken, as are the Corsairs.. Probably not the same quality of components between the two, but still a pretty solid PSU none the less.

A few last notes: you didn't mention hard drives...Do you have any that you will be pulling from your previous machine or...? Same goes for optical drive(s), OS (another big chunk of $$$ for a copy of Windows there unless you have another copy of XP/Vista). As far as space goes, unless you know you will NEVER need the space for things like SD/HD TV captures, DVD ripping/encoding and the like, I'd look @ a 500GB model (a sweet spot as far as price goes here in 'the States'). Look @ appx another $200-250 there.

Also, note: ALL prices @ that site seem to INCLUDE GST/SHIPPING.

[again] Ack, forgot to factor in the CPU. They want $410 for the q6600 - damn exchange rates! That's over 1/4 your initial budget right there. Anyway, as long as you happen to have a monitor you can use, you can certainly put a new rig together and stay within your $1500 budget, inc shipping/tax. And I wouldn't worry about the heatsink/overclocking for the time being. At least not until you actually have the parts lined up. A high--end air cooler, would run you at least $75-100 AUD (Thermalright 120 Extreme $97 + cost of a 120mm fan) - while as long as you don't overclock (much at least..volts esp) the stock Intel cooler would prob suffice. If you have another $100+ after all the other parts are accounted for, then by all means go for it :) - The TR 120 Extreme is one of the top air coolers out.

I agree, if you're not OC'ing, go with the IP35-E or GA-P35-DS3L and save some cash. Also, the Tuniq should be cheaper than the TR U120x, since it already comes with a fan while the U120x doesn't. I agree on the RAM, get the cheapest DDR2-667 or DDR2-800 kit you can.

Q6600: 9 * 266 = 2.4Ghz, DDR2-533 << STOCK speeds
Q6600: 9 * 333 = 3.0Ghz, DDR2-667 << Nice OC
Q6600: 9 * 378 = 3.4Ghz, DDR2-756 << Good OC, near max for B3 stepping
Q6600: 9 * 400 = 3.6Ghz, DDR2-800 << Great OC, near max for G0 stepping

Why not the reg IP 35? You can get them cheap if you look around.

Depending on the other components the 520 Corsair shoukd be fine. Are the future NV cards more energy efficient?

Also posted this in your other thread - since you're not overclocking, buying memory that's marketed to overclockers is probably a waste of money. Just get whatever's cheap from a reliable retailer where you know you can get it exchanged if it's bad, and run Memtest on it ASAP.

Actually, you have that backwards. That is the case for a 32-bit OS because it cannot see memory address past approx. 3GB. For 64-bit, the more ram the better.

It still doesn't "drop in performance". You just can't see the extra memory without doing some additional stuff that doesn't work so well under destop-flavor Windows. I believe it's 4GB total RAM from all sources that are directly accessed by the system, so it counts video RAM giving a visible system memory of (4 - video RAM) or 3GBish. For 64-bit, the issue with seeing all your memory isn't a problem since the table is significantly larger. But "more the merrier" isn't entirely true - not having enough memory will have a huge impact, having extra doesn't do crap.

thanks krush for the info;) was very helpful

the cheapest pc6400 800mhz was the
CORSAIR TWIN2X-2048-PC6400C4 2GB 800MHZ#

later on when i learn how 2 OC i will proably OC to like 3+ghz

dw i already got my harddrives and screen but proably upgrade my 19inch to a 22 and run dual screens when i get the 9800

i just looked at some sites and crucial ballastix tracer were on special

i might go order them^^ and not get the corsiar

and i also edited the main list ~~ (need the thumbs up ^^)

thanks you everyone who helped me with this comp

the specs are in my sig

heres some pics

Back