Buy 7900GTO now?

Natsuiro

n00b
I feel like it's a stupid question to ask, but I'm not sure if I should buy a 7900GTO now. It seems like a great deal now. Almost too good to be true.
Normally I would buy it right away but I'm going to Japan in a week for about a month so I don't know if I should buy one now or just wait until I come back. Right now I have a 6600GT.
If I buy one now, I can't use it anyways so I could wait until I get back, but I'm not sure if they'll still be in stock.
Also the nvidia dx10 cards may or may not be here by the time I get back in November. However, I don't think there will be any in the 250USD range. I don't care much about dx10, but was hoping new architecture could give good gains in DX9 games.
Originally I was going to buy a 1900xt 256Mb but this 7900GTO seems hard to pass up, even if I can't use it for a month.

Natsuiro said:
I feel like it's a stupid question to ask, but I'm not sure if I should buy a 7900GTO now. It seems like a great deal now. Almost too good to be true.
Normally I would buy it right away but I'm going to Japan in a week for about a month so I don't know if I should buy one now or just wait until I come back. Right now I have a 6600GT.
If I buy one now, I can't use it anyways so I could wait until I get back, but I'm not sure if they'll still be in stock.
Also the nvidia dx10 cards may or may not be here by the time I get back in November. However, I don't think there will be any in the 250USD range. I don't care much about dx10, but was hoping new architecture could give good gains in DX9 games.
Originally I was going to buy a 1900xt 256Mb but this 7900GTO seems hard to pass up, even if I can't use it for a month.

The GTO seems to be one of the best deals right now. I think you're safe until November to buy one, without supply problems.

well, if you're not going to use it immediately, i'd say wait till you get back. Prices usually only go down every day, so don't worry about it.

You might be better getting it now since I don't think this card will be out for long since the G80 are supposed to be released in Nov. and so far only evga is making the GTOs. I know Tiger Direct has a $30 rebate that ends soon so you end up only paying $230 for the card,

tb311 said:
You might be better getting it now since I don't think this card will be out for long since the G80 are supposed to be released in Nov. and so far only evga is making the GTOs. I know Tiger Direct has a $30 rebate that ends soon so you end up only paying $230 for the card,
MSI also makes a GTO. I'm betting that other OEMs will follow suit if they have back stock of GTX's sitting around, it's a great way to dump them before G80.

Price increased on newegg.com from 245 to 259 Dollars :( for eVGA 7900GTO

any other site selling 7900GTO in USA ?

Buy the eVGA, that way you can step up once the G80 comes out in November.

tb311 said:
Bad Idea. TD rebate is gone, and people will be selling GTX's and GTO's on the forums once G80 is released.

StealthyFish said:
well, if you're not going to use it immediately, i'd say wait till you get back. Prices usually only go down every day, so don't worry about it.
/THREAD

Nicepants42 said:
Bad Idea. TD rebate is gone, and people will be selling GTX's and GTO's on the forums once G80 is released.

correction.

TD's $30 MIR info for 7900 GTO
(note: this is not the MIR form, but info about the MIR)

for whatever reason TD pulled the MIR pdf link off their website, but the MIR is still on their server. offer expires 10/31/06.

digitalxdna said:
correction.

TD's $30 MIR info for 7900 GTO
(note: this is not the MIR form, but info about the MIR)

for whatever reason TD pulled the MIR pdf link off their website, but the MIR is still on their server. offer expires 10/31/06.

Correction.

You have to apply for the rebate through Onrebate.com. Onrebate shows that the rebate is good from 9/27 to 10/2. Why are you telling me about something that TD has 'on their server'?

Here, you can check both the USA and Canada versions of the rebate, and see the same dates. Yes, the rebate details say it's good through 10/31, but until someone has a post from a representative from EVGA, TD, or Onrebate, getting this rebate does not look un-arguable.

Nicepants42 said:
Correction.

You have to apply for the rebate through Onrebate.com. Onrebate shows that the rebate is good from 9/27 to 10/2. Why are you telling me about something that TD has 'on their server'?

Here, you can check both the USA and Canada versions of the rebate, and see the same dates. Yes, the rebate details say it's good through 10/31, but until someone has a post from a representative from EVGA, TD, or Onrebate, getting this rebate does not look un-arguable.

well, you're right. the MIR offer did expire on 10/02/06. but hey, i just posted what i saw.

FYI, the MIR info pdf on TD's servers looked legit enough (i mean, it's on their server, so they must have something to do with it), though i did say that they removed the link from the 7900 GTO product page. must've been for a good reason, and it seems that the reason is that the onrebate.com's MIR expiration date was 10/02/06, not 10/31/06.

regardless, you make a very good point.

/off-topic

regardless, whatever the case is w/ the MIR, it's still a good deal IMO. i live in CA, so buying it from TD means no sales tax (vs. NewEgg, ZZF, mwave), and i'll have 90 days to do the eVGA step-up even after G80 cards are released. i still recommend the 7900 GTO.

digitalxdna said:
regardless, whatever the case is w/ the MIR, it's still a good deal IMO. i live in CA, so buying it from TD means no sales tax (vs. NewEgg, ZZF, mwave), and i'll have 90 days to do the eVGA step-up even after G80 cards are released. i still recommend the 7900 GTO.

I'd recommend it as well, but I don't think that buying it now (before spending a month overseas without using it) is a good idea - prices will only go down, and another smoking deal might hit the market just as he gets back. It's a mistake to think that the 7900GTX is going to be the last card that's liquidated in anticipation of DX10.

well, evga's store has the 7900gto backordered already, if that means anything. and the price jumped 15 dollars the other day on newegg and zzf.

The price on newegg just went back down to 146.xx.... I jumped on my 3rd one (I kept on cancelling and then the price went up... Hopefully I'll stick to my gun and go through with the order :rolleyes: ).

Back