Buying a CRT - need advice on specific models

Scyles

[H]ard|Gawd
After owning 3 LCD's, I am no longer interested in LCD technology. I am a gamer and a graphics designer and I am very picky about my display quality.

Problems are, I don't know what the good model CRT's to buy are. I've done all my research on LCD's.

I have a 19" Samsung 997DF shadow mask CRT. It kind of sucks. It has geometry problems and a very annoying internal glare because it is not "Trinitron" flat. I don't like the two lines on a Trinitron screen, but its less of an annoyance than internal glare, so I'm guessing that's the way to go.

I want 21" or above, and I want it to be good for the next 5 years. That's the reason I haven't bought an FW900. FW900's are starting to get a bit old, and I am weary of spending $400 on something that may not last.

AccurateIT.com has some CRT's they say are "overstock", never used. Would it be best to get one of these, or try to save some money and take a gamble on eBay?

Lastly, I'd like to know some specific models, 21" and above that are known to be of good quality. Thanks!

NEC - FP2141SB-BK

3 year warranty.

Diamondtron Appeture Grille.

Check out NewEgg, they will have these for sale in a day or two.

Scyles said:
After owning 3 LCD's, I am no longer interested in LCD technology. I am a gamer and a graphics designer and I am very picky about my display quality.

Problems are, I don't know what the good model CRT's to buy are. I've done all my research on LCD's.

I have a 19" Samsung 997DF shadow mask CRT. It kind of sucks. It has geometry problems and a very annoying internal glare because it is not "Trinitron" flat. I don't like the two lines on a Trinitron screen, but its less of an annoyance than internal glare, so I'm guessing that's the way to go.

I want 21" or above, and I want it to be good for the next 5 years. That's the reason I haven't bought an FW900. FW900's are starting to get a bit old, and I am weary of spending $400 on something that may not last.

AccurateIT.com has some CRT's they say are "overstock", never used. Would it be best to get one of these, or try to save some money and take a gamble on eBay?

Lastly, I'd like to know some specific models, 21" and above that are known to be of good quality. Thanks!

Get the new overstock SGI version of the Sony G520 . I bought one and it Rocks!
The color reproduction and black levels will kick any LCD ass on the market.
The reason i did not go with the FW900 because they are old and could possible be used. Also i did not want to mess with wide screen settings and con figs. You can game up to 2048x1536 or 1900x1200.
I usually just do 1600x1200 and on really old games 1900x1200 or 20048x1536.
Just knowing the fact you aren't limited on a native resolution should be more then enough to go back to CRT. I myself was a owner of a viewsonic 201b 20.1 inch LCD and not looking back now. Wait until SED or something comes out with 15000:1 contract ratio because thats what you need to beat or compare to a CRT. Also i like LCDs but i don't use them for gaming more for work or internet use . LCDs are good for desk space and lightweight transportation and office work. The power save electric bill ya da ya da is BS for LCD vs CRT. You might save 1 dollar. LCDs are also good for resale value or hooking up multiple monitors on your desk and regarding geometry, if you can play with CRT settings im sure it will look just as good as an LCD. . Other than that if you want the ultimate movie playback and gaming experience get a trinitron or diamondtron tube. I have a 1 year warranty on mine. Go buy from accurate it now! and write back when you get your new SGI monitor.

The diamondtron is the same thing as the sony G520 SGI , the only rumor i heard was that the NEC uses one to project all 3 colors , while the sony uses 3 for the red blue green.
You can barely see the lines i dont see why this is a big deal. The colors and refresh rates will make up for it.I cant see any lines when gamming or watching movies. , Just when internet surfing on a white background.
later

travbomb said:
NEC - FP2141SB-BK

3 year warranty.

How do you know that NewEgg will have these on sale in a few days, do you work there? The reason I ask is because I am sending back my Acer 24 inch, and was going to get the 20 wide NEC LCD, but the FP2 looks like something I would honestly rather have, regardless of how much space it will take up.

I've read good things about the Viewsonic G225fB perfect flat. It will do 1600X1200 at 102hz, which is probably the resolution I'd use 90% of the time. Would be nice to play multiplayer fps games at a true 100hz.

Sanctuary said:
How do you know that NewEgg will have these on sale in a few days, do you work there? The reason I ask is because I am sending back my Acer 24 inch, and was going to get the 20 wide NEC LCD, but the FP2 looks like something I would honestly rather have, regardless of how much space it will take up.

I work for NEC. New Egg jsut bought 40 units of the FP2141SB-BK from us.

How does the FE2111SB compare? Its a bit cheaper. I'll be running 1600x1200@85Hz

Scyles said:
How does the FE2111SB compare? Its a bit cheaper. I'll be running 1600x1200@85Hz

The NEC 2070B or the Sony G520 are better then what newegg is selling.
Go get a new overstock monitor SGI version which is kick ass from accurate it

Are you in the NYC area? We have 2 few in the office. Maybe they might suffice? Dirt cheap.

travbomb said:

Do you know how much it will cost? Iam too getting tired of my LCD because of the refresh rate and 1 native resolution which is 1280x1024 which stinks considering I have a high -end system that can easily game at 1600x1200 smoothly.

Thanks!

Azatek.com has "Grade A" "New Overstock" FE2111SB's for $179, shipped. That sounds like an amazing deal to me, what do you think?

Are you in the NYC area?
Nowhere near.

I've got a Dell P1110 (made by Sony). 21" CRT monster. Frikin great Monitor. Still work's like it new, made in 2000. Was never left on overnight either. It's free if you pay to ship it.

Scyles said:
Azatek.com has "Grade A" "New Overstock" FE2111SB's for $179, shipped. That sounds like an amazing deal to me, what do you think?

Nowhere near.

sounds pretty good but like i said you are better off with a sony G520 or NEC 2070b SGI from accurate IT services

travbomb said:
NEC - FP2141SB-BK

3 year warranty.

Comes with U-NX electron gun...the best aperture grille technology..get this!!! Very hot..same gun as $5000 UWG RDF225WG and $700 Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB-BK
Read about it here
http://www.videomaker.com/scripts/news.cfm?id=760

Meh..Uses older U3 gun not as clear or sharp.

travbomb said:

Brand new? are you still making them? What's the manufacture date? I'm in for 2 if they are not like 5 years old sitting in back of warehouse.

tightline said:
Brand new? are you still making them? What's the manufacture date? I'm in for 2 if they are not like 5 years old sitting in back of warehouse.

In all honest I dont know. I am pretty sure they were some of the last ones to come off but that is still a bit ago.

I bought the FE2111SB. $179 for an unused unit seems like a steal compared to $225 for the same model, refurbished unit at AccurateIT.

No doubt, the G520/FP2141SB, etc, are better monitors, but they are also going to be over $400 for an unused one.

The biggest problem with my Samsung CRT is the internal glare, which this monitor won't have, so I will probably be pleased.

Scyles said:
I bought the FE2111SB. $179 for an unused unit seems like a steal compared to $225 for the same model, refurbished unit at AccurateIT.

No doubt, the G520/FP2141SB, etc, are better monitors, but they are also going to be over $400 for an unused one.

The biggest problem with my Samsung CRT is the internal glare, which this monitor won't have, so I will probably be pleased.

I own it and was very happy with it until I plugged a Nvidia 7900gtx into it with the DVI inputs. Tried different DVI to dsub plugs but my eyes/head still hurt reading text, which looked noisy to me. Probably just me or the specific monitor.

tightline said:

What difference does it make ? Its still brand new and never used , plus what other options do u have if these are the latest, best crt's ever made. I sure will purchase one as soon as they become available for sale. So I hope the person that works for NEC in here wasn't drunk when he said newegg just ordered 40 of them. :D

ButterFlyEffect78 said:
What difference does it make ? Its still brand new and never used , plus what other options do u have if these are the latest, best crt's ever made. I sure will purchase one as soon as they become available for sale. So I hope the person that works for NEC in here wasn't drunk when he said newegg just ordered 40 of them. :D

Chemical capacitors get old inside. More prone to leakage and buldging over time. Not near as serious as use deteroration is like glass browning or phosphor aging but still a concern if it's really old... When I've sent moniotrs in for repair always it's a blown cap.

No other options unfortunatly no decent CRT's are made anymore... all are invar shadow mask junk:(

tightline said:
Chemical capacitors get old inside. More prone to leakage and buldging over time. Not near as serious as use deteroration is like glass browning or phosphor aging but still a concern if it's really old... When I've sent moniotrs in for repair always it's a blown cap.

No other options unfortunatly no decent CRT's are made anymore... all are invar shadow mask junk:(

You maybe right !

My FW900 reports a manufacture date of 2002-2003. So you can get your hands on a monitor that's not that old.

Someone should email newegg and ask if they will have these monitors in stock so we dont wait for nothing... hmmm maybe ill email them bcuz I'm in a market for a very good CRT for games.

ButterFlyEffect78 said:
Someone should email newegg and ask if they will have these monitors in stock so we dont wait for nothing... hmmm maybe ill email them bcuz I'm in a market for a very good CRT for games.

I dont get it, The best solution is to get the G520/ or 2070B SGI from accurrate IT?. Newegg sells junk for CRT.

UnrealCpu said:
I dont get it, The best solution is to get the G520/ or 2070B SGI from accurrate IT?. Newegg sells junk for CRT.

How is the FP2141SB-BK junk?? I will get in touch wiht my contact at newegg tomorrow and see when they are posted them.

Also does anyone know where accurate IT gets all there CRT monitors from?

UnrealCpu said:

travbomb said:
How is the FP2141SB-BK junk?? I will get in touch wiht my contact at newegg tomorrow and see when they are posted them.

Yeah, why is the FP2141SB junk? The NEC MultiSync 2141SB-BK and the Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB are the exact same monitor.

EDIT: Post fixed. I did not say quite what I wanted to before.

travbomb said:

I think he meant what it is currently available now on Newegg, which is totally true. They are all shadow mask type, garbage.

ButterFlyEffect78 said:
I think he meant what it is currently available now on Newegg, which is totally true. They are all shadow mask type, garbage.

Yes, all the current ones available at present.

travbomb said:

Lease returns auctioned to them and aztek from the big leasing companies. I would'nt touch them with a 10ft pole. But then I sell them to clients and have name to protect. For home user who wants to take a chance phosphors arnt shot, is'nt banged up too badly it's worth it.

I just got an email from Newegg and said they wont have them in stock at all so whoever said they just ordered 40 of them had to be either on MDNA or LSD.

ButterFlyEffect78 said:
I just got an email from Newegg and said they wont have them in stock at all so whoever said they just ordered 40 of them had to be either on MDNA or LSD.

Dude I sold them to NewEgg. They must've had a customer for them already. I will find out today.

travbomb said:
Dude I sold them to NewEgg. They must've had a customer for them already. I will find out today.

So, what's the word? Good news or bad?

I'm slightly concerned about getting a blurry monitor or one with washed out blacks, two things that happen to CRTs when they get old - how good are these "Grade A" refurbs?

I've been looking on the web for a G520 or FP2141SB, where do I get them? Anyone dealt with Azatek or AccurateIT and can tell me how good the monitors they got were?

Back