Camera noob + DSLR

colinstu

2[H]4U
I'm really fed up with lots of these point and shoots, picture quality always seems grainy regardless of ISO, take long to take pictures, save to flash, turn on, etc.

I've been looking at DSLRs, and don't want to spend too much.

I don't want to spend $300-450 on a camera and then buy a couple hundred dollar lens. I've heard that the Rebel XT is better then the D40, but the kit lens that comes with it is nicer. Is this accurate?

How are the speeds with these with different levels of iso and flash? CMOS vs CCD has it's pros and cons, but what *really* makes one more superior?

I'd really like to keep it under $500, but if I need to go higher - $600.

Rebel XT vs. D40...hrm, first thing I would recommend no matter what anyone tells you is to go to a store and hold/play with both of them. Chances are you will not find the XT, but the XTI is pretty much the same layout/size with only a few minor cosmetic physical differences as far as getting a feel for the camera goes (screen size being one big one (1.8" vs. 2.5" ).

Both are very good cameras, very capable, and have a lot going for them. I would say it is a wash on the whole PQ side of things and capabilities. Both are very capable and will do anything you could want :)

I don't want to spend $300-450 on a camera and then buy a couple hundred dollar lens.

Then don't buy a DSLR, period. If you don't want to buy another lens, you're fishing in the wrong pond, especially at your price point. Unless you want something that is a few years old and long out of warranty, you'll be getting a high-end point and shoot.

You'll spend $600 on a kit, and you'll realise you can't get all the shots you want and you'll be disappointed... Or you'll man up and buy more glass.

As far as an XTi over a D40, get an XTi. The D40 is about as entry level as you get. 3 AF points make it almost useless for AF in anything but very bright and very contrasty subjects, and it will not autofocus with a good number of lenses. I have a D40x, the successor to the D40 and it's the same camera except a bigger sensor and a slower flash sync time.

There is no superiority re: CCD vs CMOS, they are different technologies with tradeoffs. If you want to see the difference in noise at different ISOs, check out dpreview.com. They compare these directly, iirc.

I was in the same boat as you, and so I decided to hit up craigslist and get a used rebel xt. I haven't regretted the decision one bit.

I am in same boat. I am either looking at the Sony A300 or the Olympus e510 or something with body IS

My siblings and I ended up getting our father a replacement for his old 35mm Canon Rebel body from the mid-90s. After doing some research we decided on the Rebel XT body (because he already had 3 lenses from before). I have played with it and it is a great camera for what he does (just play around, take pictures of my nephew etc). So if you can find a good deal just go with that body and then I would recommend getting a better lens than the kit one. Maybe something like a Tamron or Sigma 28-75 or the new Canon 18-55mm IS (much better version of the Kit)...

However, as said before, with your price range you may be better off with and SLR-Like P&S.

Hey,

Congrats! Your now a member of the SLR game!:p

Anyway...I've owned both the D70s (Nikon) and the 40D(Canon), both of these use the same sensor as the D40 and the Rebel. Here's where the difference lies:

The Rebel is a bit bigger and the lens is not ad good as the Nikon, but it had more focus points, higher mega pixels(Mega pixels don't matter much:eek:).

The D40 on the other hand, is smaller, lighter and has a better lens. While this may seem like a good buy, you end up paying more in the long run for two reasons. First, the D40 can only use AFS lenses which cost more because they have a built in focus motor. Second, the D40 has no built in focus motor so you can't use the auto focus on older Nikon lenses. While this doesn't seem like a big deal now, it will when you go to buy a new lens(which you will;)).

Finally, the people who say that you shouldn't get a DSLR because you only have 600 to spend are ridiculous! Buying a SLR is and investment and buying the camera is only the first step. When you purchase your camera the 18-55 will be great for most stuff, but a lens like the inexpensive 70-300 can be added on later. Every time you purchase a lens you are adding to your investment because you can use all of those lenses on future cameras when the time comes to upgrade.
Here’s what I recommend:

Get a rebel that is used because there is no reason to pay more for a new one that does the same thing. Just make sure you buy it from someone with a good rating. This way you can get a great camera with a better lens for a great price. I made the mistake of buying new and ended up havening to buy cheap sigma glass instead of better lenses used.

For Example:

Rebel XT with EF 28-105mm USM lens (better range and quality than the 18-55)

Link

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Anyway...I've owned both the D70s (Nikon) and the 40D(Canon), both of these use the same sensor as the D40 and the Rebel. Here's where the difference lies:

Good points, but note that the 40D does not use the same sensor as the Rebel XT, it uses the same as the XTI though if that is what you were referring to.

yeah thats what I meant. But anyway, buying used is always a good idea. Always use paypal and ebay and NEVER use a money transfer. I have bought tons of stuff on ebay and have never had any problems. The nice thing about an SLR is that you can use it over and over along with the lenses and never throw anything away like you do with PSs.

Thanks for the correction and sry for the bad grammar/spelling becuase I'm using my iPhone.

Case in point. I actually just bought a Canon 20D off the POTN forums from another member. It has all the normal stuff plus a second (aftermarket) battery for $400. I then picked up a new Nifty Fifty (Canon 50mm MKII f/1.8) for $87 and then a 2gb A-Data Turbo (266x) CF card for $22. So for starter I just spent $500 and have a good body, a great prime and a 2gb card to play with. Now I will start saving for nicer glass (thinking of the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di ll LD and can be had from Ebay Canoga Camera for $370) in the near future as I am paying for a wedding currently. That lens will cover my low distance lens with a fast speed (read some great reviews on it) and then next year I will probably pick up the new Canon 55-250mm USM ll IS.

So I got my Sony A300. Now what do I do other than take nice pictures?

Back