Can a 2011 MBP support Korean IPS 27" screens?

PsichoDM

Limp Gawd
Hey folks,

sorry for the really dumb question, but I haven't quite been able to figure this one out. I have a 2011 MBP and I'd like to know if it's at all possible for me to connect an external monitor such as this one to it and have it operate as intended.

It's my understanding that these monitors use a DVI-Dual port and that you can a Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI converter that would support that. Is that correct, or is that scenario not supported?

Actually, interestingly enough, some of these ebay postings clearly tell you that you cannot use this monitors with Macs or laptops. See this one. What's going on here?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
According to this Mini DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI converter : http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6904

You can use it for resolutions up to 2560x1600 at 60hz. I would expect 2560x1440 to be supported easily since it requires less bandwidth. So as long as you have a Mini DisplayPort you should be fine. Just to see if you can test it on a friend's 1600p 30 inch or 1440p 27 inch monitor before you drop the bones on one though.

Or actually you could bring your laptop to an Apple store and ask them to test the link for you on one of their monitors if you don't know anyone with those kinds of displays.

Yes, correct as posted above. You'll need an active MiniDP to Dual-Link DVI adapter just like the one on monoprice. Apple's is $99.

Thanks for the responses folks. That's interesting, a lot of these ebay posts specifically tell you that you cannot use a DP->DVI-D converter to run that display, so I'm a bit perplexed that I'm not hearing any of that here. Why would they want to lose customers if in fact most can run those monitors?

If you want a cheap display port -> Dual link DVI use this:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6904&seq=1&format=2

It works fine driving a yamakasi 27 inch 1440p monitor at 67 (the revision C that caps out at that).

If you want a better one that is capable of 100Hz use this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B087B-...8-4&keywords=accel+display+port+dual-link+dvi

(Accell B087B-007B DisplayPort/Mini DisplayPort to DVI-D Dual-Link Adapter with 3D Support)

I run my revision B catleap at 2560x1440 @ 100Hz with no issues off this adapter. It needs to be the 'with 3d support' one as the other one starts having issues at around 75-80 Hz @ 1440p.

This is off my retina macbook pro but it will work with any display that has thunderbolt/display port output.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
They are just covering them selfs so people don't complain it doesn't work.

Also that ebay link says the monitor will have no more then 41 dead pixels, which is worrying.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back