Can a power supply cause static and white noise in headphone jack/usbs?

2wiced

2[H]4U
Hello everyone,

I come to you with a question. I am very frustrated at the moment. I use my computer to record music and play games. The headphone jack gives off a lot of white noise and static, this static is independent of any audio playing. I plug it in and right away get a baseline noise, which is present whether music or audio is playing or not.

Can this be caused by a power supply? poor grounding somewhere? I also have a water cooling setup (xspc raystorm with pump/reservoir combined sitting below the headphone jack)

I am ready to go back to air cooling and take a loss on the money spent, because I wanted this system to be silent and its not.

There is a buzzing coming from the fan of my power supply, could it be causing static through the case?

The buzzing from the PS could be the fan hitting a piece of plastic.

In any case, I would RMA the PS.

As for the static, it could be a bad ground or it could be something wrong with the motherboard.

Is your sig your current system specs?

If not, what are the specs of the system you are having trouble with.

The buzzing from the PS could be the fan hitting a piece of plastic.

In any case, I would RMA the PS.

As for the static, it could be a bad ground or it could be something wrong with the motherboard.

Is your sig your current system specs?

If not, what are the specs of the system you are having trouble with.

Here are the specs:

CPU: 4770k currently @stock
Motherboard: Z87 Gaming MSI GD65
Videocard: 2x EVGA GTX 780
Ram: Ballistix 16gb
Cooling: Raystorm Ex240 system with additional Ex360 and RX120 fans on all of them with fan controller set to lowest setting.
Powersupply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Power Supply

Ive tried both front and rear headphone jacks, also have tried using a USB Audio Interface device and plug headphones into it, also get static, electrical whine.

Does the static change depending on system load?

No. The static does not change with system load. It sounds like this "SSsssssssss" lol. I dont know how to describe it. The ssssss sound is present as soon as I plug in the headphones.

corsair is going to send me a new front panel and im talking to EVGA about PSU RMA.

as far as my water cooling goes, I dont know if the pump/reservoir mix is vibrating and causing issues. I just want to sell my water cooling system, atm regret spending 500-600 on it.

So whats happening?

How are you determining there is sound present? Are you able to see it in a spectrum analyzer? Or are you just determining this "by ear"?

Is it your headphones?

If its constant, I'd bet you have noise on the ground of your house wiring.

Can you test on a different source of power?

I feel stupid now. It was only happening in osx. apparently in voodoohda it allows you to manipulate gain of the audio ports. By default it was set to max. All is well now. Hopefully the next powersupply will be free of noise rattling as well and ill have a silent system.

Thank you to everyone who brainstormed with me

Back