Can anybody explain why the Pro isn't on this list

Corvette

[H]ard|Gawd
http://event.asus.com/2011/mb/PCIe3_Ready/ This first table is for PCIe 3 and the one I'm interested in.

Can anybody explain why the P8P76 Pro isn't on this list but the P8P67 is? I know PCIe 3.0 won't make that big of a difference, but it bugs the crap out of me. I'd like to get the Pro since it has a MIR and an Intel NIC.

I don't regard PCI-E Gen3 as a bid deal right now. There are no current devices available or almost released that will use the extra bandwidth, let alone use Gen2 bandwidth to the fullest.

IIRC, the existing boards that were wired for SLI won't be able to support PCI-E 3.0. Some kind of technical limitation with the way 16 lanes gets split to x8 x8.

Single slot non-sli capable gen2 are supposed to be able to support 3.0, but that remains to be seen.

It's because of the PCIe switch. The boards that have the switches to allow x8x8 only used PCIe 2.0 switches, so they can't do PCIe 3.0. Boards that don't have the switch can do single card PCIe 3.0. At least that's my understanding from the MSI/Gigabyte flap a few months back.

Phew, finally something that makes sense. And now I know that if I want PCIe 3.0 on a GA-Z68XP-UD3 then I need more than just a BIOS update.

Phew, finally something that makes sense. And now I know that if I want PCIe 3.0 on a GA-Z68XP-UD3 then I need more than just a BIOS update.

Vette, what makes sense about the need for PCI-e Gen3 right now? Nothing currently available or coming out soon even utilizes Gen2 to it's capabilities... just wondering. :confused:

Remember the AGP 4x vs 8x debacle? This is looking to be a carbon-copy of that. Well, at least for the time being. My point is that it's going to be quite some time before we have the option to purchase a GPU that will dip into the requirements of Gen3 bandwidth.

Who said I need PCIe for my next purchase :p? I just needed the reason that a Pro board wasn't capable of the same things that the "vanilla" version was. It also helped to satify my need to know why NCIX has the best deal on the board I want, but not the Rev 1.3 board which costs the same and has an extra feature. In my whirlwind tour of figuring out which product I want I have recently decided that my best value is a Geeks.com refurb. Tomorrow I may decide to build an AMD system ;)

Hahaha I gotcha!

Same price, more features...what's to bitch about that, eh?

Back