Can I use an Intel i7-860 or I3-550 for 4K HTPC

Bambi

I Cleaned My Room - And I am a Dude
So I want to build a steaming box (Netflix, Hulu, Sling, etc etc) and connect it to my Vizio M65. This machine won't be used for gaming at all but before I continue to buy other parts I would use some processors I had laying around. Would either of those be able to handle 4K content not including the GPU I would buy? I know those processors have their age but curious.

Thank you

either CPU will be fine, but the i7 is a power HOG!

I would use the i3 550

both will be fine but I recommend getting a GTX 950 or another video card that supports HDMI 2.0.

Sweet you guys answered my question as to which gpu should i am for :D

I will stick to the i3 and go with a 950. Now to see what to do with the old i7-860.

either CPU will be fine, but the i7 is a power HOG!

I would use the i3 550

I disagree. Nehalem is the first architecture Intel made with per-core shutdown. This means they can shut-down idle cores, just like all newer processors. So I'd be willing to bet the idle power for both systems is the same. You'll only use more power than the i3 if you stress the i7 hard enough :D

The LGA1366 chips got a reputation for being power hogs because those extra 24 lanes of PCIe added tons of vampire power to the platform.

Also, you might be able to save yourself some money on the GTX 950 if you have a H55 motherboard in that pile of detritus. Because if you do, The HD Graphics on the Core i3 can decode h.264 video.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure the Vizio's smart apps would work out too, say for Netflix and Hulu , Plex and Amazon Prime. The only down side is the stupid Yahoo app store, so no mlb tv, and prob not for sling. As far as a gpu, the 950 is great for 4k60, but again are you doing anything that needs 60fps? Maybe good for some light gaming, or if you are doing desktop work on there, but most video stuff is 24 or maybe 30 fps.

I am pretty sure the Vizio's smart apps would work out too, say for Netflix and Hulu , Plex and Amazon Prime. The only down side is the stupid Yahoo app store, so no mlb tv, and prob not for sling. As far as a gpu, the 950 is great for 4k60, but again are you doing anything that needs 60fps? Maybe good for some light gaming, or if you are doing desktop work on there, but most video stuff is 24 or maybe 30 fps.
On Vizio's new 2016 TVs they are ending the yahoo deal and moving to using chromecast thats integrated. So anything that can be casted should work on the TV

Back