Can I use this SeaSonic PSU with a new build?

rayz

Limp Gawd
I currently have a 750w SeaSonic 750KM3 ATX 12V

My new build will feature an i5 6600k and a GTX 970. I don't plan on overclocking anything.

Will this PSU provide a safe level of headroom?

Is it generally a bad idea to use a 4-5 year old PSU with a new build?

Hoping to save a few $s if possible. Thank you!

Plenty big enough, plenty new enough, and high enough quality to continue using. Even with overclocking, etc this would be plenty. Even if you add a second gtx 970 and overclock this it would be fine. Capacitor aging is real, but it takes a long, long time and this has plenty of overhead.

The PSU has probably lost some wattage capacity, but even at 60% capacity (which is a very conservative number), it should be perfectly good for a 6600K+970.

Q: If you don't plan to overclock, why the K at all?

Thank you for the replies and peace of mind.

Is the 6600"K" mainly for those interested in OC'ing?

Sorry, I mean the 6600K. Amazon search says that the 6600-nonK is quite a bit cheaper than the 6600K.

There is about a 200mhz speed difference aside from the overclockability/unlocked multiplier on the 6600K.

Sorry, I mean the 6600K. Amazon search says that the 6600-nonK is quite a bit cheaper than the 6600K.

There is about a 200mhz speed difference aside from the overclockability/unlocked multiplier on the 6600K.

Thanks! I've just started my research here on [H] and elsewhere, I guess I don't know exactly the best components for my needs yet, but it will be in the i5 and 970 combo range.

While you are researching, just maybe some additional pointers I guess.

Unless you are itching for a new rig, what you can do with your current is:

1. Overclock your current i5 2500K. This will easily match and surpass a stock 6600K. You will need a $30 cooler. A CoolerMaster Hyper212 will do decently, and the 2500K is a very good overclocker. You can target maybe 4.5Ghz easy.
2. Replace the 560Ti with a 970 or 390?.
3. Upgrade the RAM in case you need more.

You'll probably get the same performance as your proposed build for a lot less $.

The only thing I miss when moving from my [email protected] to my i5 2400@stock 3.2ghz when I need to are the USB 3.0 ports when making large file transfers, as the H67 does not have USB3 ports.

Last edited:
Good enough for SLI 970s. GTX 970s are not particularly power hungry GPUs.

While you are researching, just maybe some additional pointers I guess.

Unless you are itching for a new rig, what you can do with your current is:

1. Overclock your current i5 2500K. This will easily match and surpass a stock 6600K. You will need a $30 cooler. A CoolerMaster Hyper212 will do decently, and the 2500K is a very good overclocker. You can target maybe 4.5Ghz easy.
2. Replace the 560Ti with a 970 or 390?.
3. Upgrade the RAM in case you need more.

You'll probably get the same performance as your proposed build for a lot less $.

The only thing I miss when moving from my [email protected] to my i5 2400@stock 3.2ghz when I need to are the USB 3.0 ports when making large file transfers, as the H67 does not have USB3 ports.

Thanks for the suggestion! I am going to look into this - I could use the build money for a new monitor instead.

I currently have this CPU cooler XIGMATEK LOKI

In your opinion, would that be adequate? If so, would I want to re-set it if I were to OC the CPU for the first time?

I currently have this CPU cooler XIGMATEK LOKI

In your opinion, would that be adequate? If so, would I want to re-set it if I were to OC the CPU for the first time?

If you're going to get a new monitor (above 1080p), you may want to put the CPU/MB/RAM money into a 980 or Ti.

Yes, your current CPU cooler should be good for about 4.5ghz, give or take 200-300mhz. Conservatively overclocked 2500Ks are good for about 4.2ghz at the minimum.

Back