Can you use 'dual channel kits' in a tri-channel mode?

vjcsmoke

Supreme [H]ardness
Take for example this DDR3 2000mhz reaper 4gb kit is $109 before rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...227571&cm_re=ddr3_2000-_-20-227-571-_-Product
Times that by 3, and you have 12 GB worth of 2000mhz ram for $330.

On the other hand the 6gb 'triple channel kit' costs $180 before rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...15&cm_re=ddr3_2000_6gb-_-20-227-415-_-Product
Times that by 2, and you have 12 GB worth of 2000mhz ram for $360.

So you save $30 cash by buying 3 kits of 2x2gb rather than 2 kits of 3x2gb.
Is there a physical difference in the ram that wouldn't allow you to run the three 'dual channel kits' in tri-channel mode on a mobo that has 6 ram slots?

Should be just fine, you're paying for the same batch/mfgr date, but honestly it will work just fine as long as they are the same size, speed, spec etc.

Either way you may have a hard time getting 6 slots running at DDR3 2000. Using DDR3 over 1333 MHz is overclocking the memory controller and not guaranteed to work.

Either way you may have a hard time getting 6 slots running at DDR3 2000. Using DDR3 over 1333 MHz is overclocking the memory controller and not guaranteed to work.

Since when? Has anybody else bought 2000mhz sticks and been unable to get them to run at their rated speed?

It may be the rated speed of the memory but not the memory controller. Intel only supports 1066 MHz ram. I thought it was 1333MHz but I see only 1066. See here:

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41447&processor=i7-930&spec-codes=SLBKP

So when using higher speed ram you are overclocking the memory controller on the processor. Whether or not that works on your motherboard is hit or miss. However you can always downclock the ram to the supported speed.

I really find it hard to believe that the cpu couldn't handle the ram when even the 980x is only rated at "DDR3-1066."
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=47932&code=intel+980x

Are you going off personal experience here or are you ONLY going off intel's 'official ratings'?
Because if you're only going according to Intel's ratings I shouldn't be able to run my 920 at 4.1ghz and @ 4.2 if i bump the voltage by another .3v.
And people shouldn't be able to run 980x at 4.5+ ghz, but they do.

Personal experience and compatibility problems on this list and others. Look at the threads on this subject there are dozens..

As long as the RAM has the same rating, voltage, timings, and it the same manufacturer, dual channel and triple channel "kits" is nothing more than how it is packaged.

As long as the RAM has the same rating, voltage, timings, and it the same manufacturer, dual channel and triple channel "kits" is nothing more than how it is packaged.

honestly I have mixed manufactures and everything, just so long as they ram can run at the same speed, volts and timings

I really find it hard to believe that the cpu couldn't handle the ram when even the 980x is only rated at "DDR3-1066."

he is correct- memory controllers, which are on-cpu, are only spec'ed at 1066mhz for all core I7 processors. you can normally go higher, but the CPU isnt specifically rated for it, and is not guaranteed. anything higher is considered overclocking. this is stated in the specifications listed on intels own site and has been there for over a year.

honestly I have mixed manufactures and everything, just so long as they ram can run at the same speed, volts and timings

But will they run as triple channel? I currentlt have 4x2gb Gskill ripjaws in my 1156 mobo at 1600MHz, was thinking of upgrading to an X58 1366 mobo because they number crunch better, but I dont want to spend the money to buy 12gb ram whilst another 4gb set of gskill ripjaws is pretty cheap.

But it needs to be able to run in triple channel otherwise it'll be a total waste of money for me.

EDIT: I'm not sure about OCZ, but most of the GSkill sets list they are only guaranteed to run at advertised speeds with half the DIMM slots filled. I was just lucky enough that my advertised 1600MHz chips do actually run at 1600MHz without too much ram voltage even with all slots filled, but another system which I've been playing with requires the full 1.65V to get 6x2gb working at their advertised 1600MHz.

Back