Cancel my pre order ?

FlyinBrian

Gawd
After seeing the nice performance gains of the 6800 series with sm 3.0 i am considering canceling my x800xt pre order, and getting the 6800U instead, anyone else faced with this dilema, or have any opinions on the matter.. no going to pay 500 for a card that is already obscolete...

FlyinBrian said:
no going to pay 500 for a card that is already obscolete...
that x800xt-pe definately is not obsolete. i suggest waiting a bit before you make your choice, think it out when we have more results from SM3.0 and new drivers (for both companies). you will probally be more comfortable then.

well it wouldnt bother me waiting but right now i am using a back up machine that can not play any games, just a office computer, so waiting isnt something i want to do right now, on top of all tht i have a lan party to go to this july.

this is too hard i should just flip a coin... LOL

Bad_Boy said:
that x800xt-pe definately is not obsolete. i suggest waiting a bit before you make your choice, think it out when we have more results from SM3.0 and new drivers (for both companies). you will probally be more comfortable then.

Wait for what? Doom3? ;)

i will not get the GT, most of the test show the x800xt out performing it, yes i know its cheaper but i am also considering the life of the product here, basically it will either be 6800 Ultra or x800xt, both are great, but if sm 3.0 is going to make it into the up coming games, then thats what i want... however if ati 's x800xt will look and perform on par or better with nvidias sm 3.0 counter parts then i will go with them instead... as i said before, i hate decisions.

FlyinBrian said:
i will not get the GT, most of the test show the x800xt out performing it, yes i know its cheaper but i am also considering the life of the product here, basically it will either be 6800 Ultra or x800xt, both are great, but if sm 3.0 is going to make it into the up coming games, then thats what i want... however if ati 's x800xt will look and perform on par or better with nvidias sm 3.0 counter parts then i will go with them instead... as i said before, i hate decisions.

6800GTs can easily be overclocked to 6800U speed usually without any modding whatsoever while using stock cooling. Aside from clockspeeds and overclock ability (due to higher speed ram/better yield core on Us) the two cards are architecturally identical.

Any place the GT chokes, the Ultra is going to choke just as hard because they are the same aside from a small clockspeed difference than can be overcome by OCing.

tranCendenZ said:
6800GTs can easily be overclocked to 6800U speed usually without any modding whatsoever while using stock cooling. Aside from clockspeeds and overclock ability (due to higher speed ram/better yield core on Us) the two cards are architecturally identical.

Any place the GT chokes, the Ultra is going to choke just as hard because they are the same aside from a small clockspeed difference than can be overcome by OCing.

lol you sure love that GT. if your gonna compare the GT and Ultra, and say the GT can oc to ultra speeds, why not say that the ultra can oc to better speeds?

i usually dont overclock a card right away, not until it cant run whatever game i am playing effeciently, voiding the warranty that early after recieving the card isnt a great idea either.

yeah i agree. im not a big overclocker on video cards, just seems a bit scary to me lol, but i will probally overclock but not immediately. but the cpu, ill try to overclock that as far as it will go :D :D

FlyinBrian said:
After seeing the nice performance gains of the 6800 series with sm 3.0 i am considering canceling my x800xt pre order, and getting the 6800U instead, anyone else faced with this dilema, or have any opinions on the matter.. no going to pay 500 for a card that is already obscolete...

that card in no way shape or form is obsolete. Sheesh people..... :rolleyes:

If you already have a pre-order for an XT I'd say stick with it. sm 3.0 IMO isn't enough a reason to change ......

My X 800XT PE ship date has now been pushed back to July 19. The wait may be killing me, but perhaps time is on my side and I won't end up regretting my purchase later.So in the mean time I'm also looking for more SM3.0 results and new drivers. We should know a lot more by then and be able to crown a new king.

well i meant abscolete in the matter of a 10 to 30% speed advantage on nvidias side, if other up coming games like Half life 2 and doom 3 and everquest 2 are going to be using sm 3.0 why not get the fastes card you can get... I am not a fan boy type i go with whatever is the fastest at the time, when i ordered my x800 it was the fastest, but seeing the advantage of sm3.0 in terms of speed has got me questioning my decision, i know it really want matter in the end, both cards are great, its just annoying...

Anyone know how loud the 6800 is and can provide some comparisons. Somewhere I read a thread earlier today and the guy said the roar of it was pretty significant. If it's overly annoying, that could also be a determining factor in sticking with X800 XT.

its equivalent to 3 case fans, which isnt a big deal when playing games to me since i use high quality head phones.

ive been reading every review and forum i can find right now. the concensus ive came up with is the anandtech review is screwy somehow, some are saying that at may not have properly enabled aa in their benches. most of the other sites are showing the xt to be on par or slightly above the ultra at 16X12 4aa 8af. but the one thing thats definate in the reviews is that every reviewers results are different due to the lack of a static benchmark in the game, and the fact that the outdoor levels have little to no sm3 effects whereas the indoor levels are full of them. also remember that both valve and id have said they are going to support 3dc, which "should" have soem pretty good performance increases in hl2 at least. iirc hl2 makes pretty extensive use of normal maps. also a link on the [H] frontpage has a tchnique to allow one of sm3's biggest performance enhancers on x800 and even 9800 level cards. i was fairly impressed by how much of an increase this new patch has given nvidia, but that basically brought them up to on par with eachother. so id say that if you already have a xt on order, and cant get a ultra sooner id stay with the xt. but if you cant wait grab a gt, you wont be disappointed.

FlyinBrian said:
its equivalent to 3 case fans, which isnt a big deal when playing games to me since i use high quality head phones.

Where did you get that comparison?

Lets see, 3 more case fans on top of the 3 I have now, hmm...

one other thing i was wondering is Ati may not even have a Dx9C optimized driver out yet, as for now i think my decision is to leave my xt on pre order, 459 with shipping, (not a bad deal) and hopefully more news and a response from Ati will clear things up..

thank you all for the responses.

ive only heard that its kinda loud just when starting up, but after that its quiet. defiinately not louder than that 5900 with the blower fan or w/e :p

Honestly i dont remember, just trust that i did read it somewhere, i read so many sites its hard to keep up, but 3 case fans isnt very loud at all(asuming there not deltas).. i wouldnt let sound be the determining factor in your decision...

FlyinBrian said:

Which tests have you been reading? :confused: The GT clearly beats the Pro hands down.

cambio said:
Anyone know how loud the 6800 is and can provide some comparisons. Somewhere I read a thread earlier today and the guy said the roar of it was pretty significant. If it's overly annoying, that could also be a determining factor in sticking with X800 XT.

The 6800 Ultra is very quiet. It IS NOT equivalent to 3 case fans :p

Nvidia > Ati

this time around. see all these guys saying flip a coin. they all have ATi cards, the fact is the 6800 u owns the x800 xt. stop being ignourant and get the best damn card there is.

I always get the best card i can, doesnt make any difference to me who makes it...

although i think this SM 3.0 review is a little more accurate than anandtech's review, but we will see if it turns out that Nvidia takes the performance crown; then i will cancel my pre order...

in my experience

radeon ddr volume level 1
ti 4400 volume level 2
9800p volume level 3
6800gt volume level 5

i dont know where the FX series would fit in there.
im perplexed when some of you say the 6800 is quite what are you comparing it too?

4400 used to sorta blend in with hard drive noise,
9800p stuck out a little over hard drive noise.
6800gt i cant even hear the hard drives. it was almost equal to when my cdrom spins up. i know 6800 2d fan spins down in fact you can set seperate 2d adn 3d core/mem speeds in control panel. but even on desktop it was still louder then the rest of the computer put together. i just like my system prety fast and pretty quite. im totally willing to give up 5-10% performance for 50% of the noise.. but those are my priorities i spend alot of time on my pc and the noise wears on me after awhile.

if i was air cooling long term i would totally get an x800xt. but im watercooling now and i wanted the new video encoder options to play around with.

yea 3dc vs sm3.0 is will be an interesting showdown. they are both amazing cards, alot of atis work seems to be the unseen progress of making a fast chips with so few transistors and even less power consump then 9800. but its painfully obvious that many of atis chip features got bumped to next gen. Which i applaud nvidia for squeezing in so many.

when was the last time intel or amd doubles their chips speed and lowerd the power draw.
anyhow thats my .02 on my 6800.

Back