Canon S1 IS flash bulb blown

MadJuggla9

2[H]4U
I've got a Canon S1 IS camera I purchased a couple years ago and it's still top notch for what I need. Highest video quality w/ sound which is very suiting for my needs. Alongside the video, the pictures are great.

The problem is that the popup flash .... well ... the bulb blew, leaving me with no flash (I've read a few instances of this before). Sure I can ramp the shutter speed to a crawl but then I get noise and blur unless I take a tripod everywhere I go. Canon wants $89 minimum to fix it this 10 cent bulb thats getting blown around through straws in the warehouse. The 'repair kit' costs $39 with no guarantees.

I really don't want to get a new camera; If I did, it would just be another IS (perhaps S3 IS) or I'd switch to a quick manual analog focusing camera. On the other hand .... I dont want to be a shutter speed whore just bc the stupid flash doesnt work.

Does anyone know where I can still buy this camera retail or have any opinions/suggestions on this situation?

In your case I would prob get a new camera or get a "repair kit".

easy, steal a flash bulb from a disposable, solder it in :D

should be able to get a used disposable for free if you ask nicely. say it's for a project.

and make sure it's the bulb that's blown. the bulb is just a tube filled with xenon. there's no filament like an incandescent.

easy, steal a flash bulb from a disposable, solder it in :D

should be able to get a used disposable for free if you ask nicely. say it's for a project.

and make sure it's the bulb that's blown. the bulb is just a tube filled with xenon. there's no filament like an incandescent.

They already priced me a repair kit, as well as what it'd cost if they fixed it. The screws are TINY. Who'd buy a camera with a blown bulb? Is it likely a camera enthusiast would? I know the avg Joe wouldn't. It's just a pathetic little bulb :mad:

Back