Can't convert drives to dynamic in WinXP Professional?

kleptophobiac

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a Thinkpad T41p, which I realize is a "portable computer" and therefore windows won't let me convert its local drive to a dynamic disk. That's not a problem.

But I do have two external hard drives (connected via USB, one partition each, formatted NTFS) that I wish to convert to dynamic disks so that I may span a single volume across them.

When I go to disk management and right click on the drive in the lower pane on the left side, I don't see any means for conversion, only a properties button.

Is there something I'm missing?

Are you trying to create any single files larger than one of the external drives?
If not, just use NTFS mount points to mount one as a folder on the other. You don't have any nasty Dynamic Disks to worry about (they make data recovery nearly impossible, nothing else will read them), and you can always move them one at a time to another machine if necessary.

Ah, thanks for reminding me about that feature. I totally forgot about it, not giving NTFS any credit whatsoever (I'm used to random mount points and symlinks from the linux world).

Kudos!

Back