Can't wait anymore, may go to the dark side

phatjedi

Gawd
My new box is almost done, just waiting for a video card. Since there is no definitive release date for the R600, going to break down and buy and 8800GTX. I am AMD all the way, but I can't wait any longer. All ready have the 2407, AMD 6000 AM2, 2 gigs Mushkin, 700watt PS etc.

The only good thing that will come out of this is the second I buy it, the R600 will come out and 8800 series cards will drop in price big time. :D

Oh well I had to rant. AMD/ATI better have a card that pretty much kicks some serious butt for all this waiting we are doing.

end rant.:p

The release date for R600 is May 14th, if I remember correctly.

My new box is almost done, just waiting for a video card. Since there is no definitive release date for the R600, going to break down and buy and 8800GTX. I am AMD all the way, but I can't wait any longer. All ready have the 2407, AMD 6000 AM2, 2 gigs Mushkin, 700watt PS etc.

The only good thing that will come out of this is the second I buy it, the R600 will come out and 8800 series cards will drop in price big time. :D

Oh well I had to rant. AMD/ATI better have a card that pretty much kicks some serious butt for all this waiting we are doing.

end rant.:p

if the r600 doesnt kick ass, daamit is going to get hammered, thats for sure

The release date for R600 is May 14th, if I remember correctly.
Thanks for the date, and I understand you are going from memory. It just seems that if it is coming out in a little over 2 weeks, places like [H]ard OCP would have seen a sample or something. Or maybe the NDA will be released the same day the card is. Maybe I can hold out a little longer. ;)

Thanks for the date, and I understand you are going from memory. It just seems that if it is coming out in a little over 2 weeks, places like [H]ard OCP would have seen a sample or something. Or maybe the NDA will be released the same day the card is. Maybe I can hold out a little longer. ;)

As I type this, members of the press are in Tunisia, getting briefed by ATi/AMD on the hardware and its capabilities. I'm sure within the next week or two reviewers will be getting samples (if they don't walk away from the event with them already), but I don't think the NDA is lifted until the day of release.

Thanks for all the post people, you are giving me strength to hold on a little while longer.:D :D :D

Thanks for all the post people, you are giving me strength to hold on a little while longer.:D :D :D

hah, at this point it'd be a shame to buy a card now you find out is completely outclassed by something else at the same price three weeks later. Generally I'm not a fan of the waiting game, but this is one of those times that I'd be incredibly pissed about if I bought now.

R600 could blow G80 away, but the fact remains there's not a single decent board to support it. I'm looking to upgrade and I want DDR2-1066 (to support an integer multiplier from the CPU to RAM bus speeds), dual PCIe 16x Crossfire/SLi, C2D support and preferably GPU physics upgradeability - this combination is only available with NVidia cards. RD600 lacks dual 16x Crossfire, as do all Intel chipsets, and (if you stick with AMD, and that nets you one heck of a disadvantage if you overclock) RD580 lacks DDR2-1066 support and the third slot for physics. 680i is the only suitable chipset for my needs, and that obviously doesn't support Crossfire so it's the 8800 for me.

R600 could blow G80 away, but the fact remains there's not a single decent board to support it. I'm looking to upgrade and I want DDR2-1066 (to support an integer multiplier from the CPU to RAM bus speeds), dual PCIe 16x Crossfire/SLi, C2D support and preferably GPU physics upgradeability - this combination is only available with NVidia cards. RD600 lacks dual 16x Crossfire, as do all Intel chipsets, and (if you stick with AMD, and that nets you one heck of a disadvantage if you overclock) RD580 lacks DDR2-1066 support and the third slot for physics. 680i is the only suitable chipset for my needs, and that obviously doesn't support Crossfire so it's the 8800 for me.

Perhaps you'd be better suited waiting for RD790, but dual 16x PCI-e lanes would only matter if that meant the top end CrossFire setup performed worse than the top end SLI setup, and only if it was due to the lack of lanes. Performance is performance. Also, GPU physics...exactly how much press have you heard about that? Nobody knows how it'll be done...

RD600 supports DDR2-1066. Check out the [H] review here.

Perhaps you'd be better suited waiting for RD790, but dual 16x PCI-e lanes would only matter if that meant the top end CrossFire setup performed worse than the top end SLI setup, and only if it was due to the lack of lanes. Performance is performance. Also, GPU physics...exactly how much press have you heard about that? Nobody knows how it'll be done...

According to everything I can find right now, RD600 supports DDR2-1066.

Not only that, but developers would have to start developing for it. It will probably be years before it would ever be mainstream, if ever. Just look how long its taking PhysX to catch on.

I was in the same shoes as the OP. I went with a 8800gts 320 to tie me over. Although, I have been EXTREMELY happy with it and its going to be hard to give up.

I WILL buy r600 IF these rumors hold true..
1) MSRP = $399
2) It will be more powerful than a 8800gtx
3) My Enermax Liberty 500w will run it.

If not, no biggie. I am happy with my green card. I may even trade it in for a 640mb.

Dual PCIe lanes matter to me for three reasons: 1) Possible performance advantage in future software, 2) upgradability - future cards may use all the lanes and 3) if dual PCIe exists, that's what I want - anything else is sub-par as regards the latest technology. I already upgraded my existing setup from an A8R-MVP to an A8R32-MVP Deluxe to get the extra PCIe lanes, I'm not taking a step back with my next board.

As regards RD790, I'm prepared to wait until Bioshock comes out - once it does I'm going to DX10 with whatever is available. No rush until then - although I would like to upgrade ASAP I have two X1900s which perform fine in everything I've thrown at them so far except STALKER - and that's because Crossfire is broken on that game and there's no XP x64 hotfix as yet - I have a ticket in with AMD for that problem.

As for GPU physics, again I'd just like to have the option in future so I can do something with one of the aforementioned X1900s. I expect GPU physics to take off more rapidly since a lot of people will be able to do this with their old cards without shelling out for a PhysX.

Finally, I know RD600 has DDR2-1066 support, but not dual 16x Crossfire.

Or why don't you just by a 8600gt? Its dx10 and the cheapest version is $183 for now and then once the r600 comes out you can sell that or keep it as a backup card. By the way, what graphic card do you have currently?

Or why don't you just by a 8600gt? Its dx10 and the cheapest version is $183 for now and then once the r600 comes out you can sell that or keep it as a backup card.
Buying a $180 card just to hold you over for a month or so seems a little excessive. And the fact that it's DX10 is kind of irrelevant, since I doubt we'll be seeing and DX10 software within the next few weeks.

Dual PCIe lanes matter to me for three reasons: 1) Possible performance advantage in future software, 2) upgradability - future cards may use all the lanes and 3) if dual PCIe exists, that's what I want - anything else is sub-par as regards the latest technology.
If there is a performance advantage, it's all good (I'm not saying there isn't). But just because it's the latest technology doesn't mean it's quicker (FX5200 anyone?).

As regards RD790, I'm prepared to wait until Bioshock comes out - once it does I'm going to DX10 with whatever is available.
You do realize that RD790 is their next motherboard chipset? You're thinking of R600, which will be available May 14th.

As for GPU physics, again I'd just like to have the option in future so I can do something with one of the aforementioned X1900s. I expect GPU physics to take off more rapidly since a lot of people will be able to do this with their old cards without shelling out for a PhysX.
True, but I'd be willing to bet you money that you'll be replacing your motherboard by that point. There has been nothing doing in terms of HavokFX for a very, very long time. Maybe RD790 will be your next stop :D

You do realize that RD790 is their next motherboard chipset? You're thinking of R600, which will be available May 14th.

No, I do mean RD790 - R600 isn't relevant to me right now as there's no board for it, even ignoring the GPU physics aspect. RD600 is out of the running due to the lack of dual 16x Crossfire (as explained, I'm not paying for any board that's a step down from my present board in any way), as is RD580 due to the lack of DDR-1066 support, which between them means until they get RD790 out the door there is no Athlon or Crossfire board out there that suits my purposes. Bearlake won't support AMD CPUs and 680a doesn't support Crossfire. Hence if RD790 isn't out before Bioshock DAAMIT will be completely out of the running, unless Bearlake(X) supports Crossfire and the other features I'm looking for.

Well at the moment I would hold on just 2-3 weeks more before stepping to the Dark Side ;)

In the reacent light it seems that 2900XT is going to be atleast equal to 8800GTX speed wise and be priced around 400$. That cant be a bad deal and even sweeter, Nvidia must drop its 8800GTX price to compete. So its going to be a Win-Win for sure no matter what you do. Just hold on for couple more weeks ;)

Well at the moment I would hold on just 2-3 weeks more before stepping to the Dark Side ;)

In the reacent light it seems that 2900XT is going to be atleast equal to 8800GTX speed wise and be priced around 400$. That cant be a bad deal and even sweeter, Nvidia must drop its 8800GTX price to compete. So its going to be a Win-Win for sure no matter what you do. Just hold on for couple more weeks ;)

Yup. Thats my current train of thought.

If I dont like the R600 benches I can just opt for a signifigantly reduced in price GTX.

I guess I needed to hear some folks in my shoes as well. I can hold out a few more weeks:D

My current system is a FX57, A8N32, Asus 7950GT, 2407, 2 gigs Mushkin on XP SP2.
Actually it does what I want it to do quite well. There is a pile of new stuff sitting in the corner waiting for a video card. It is painful to look at. Oh well, like some one all ready posted. The R600 may be the real deal. If it is not, 8800GTX prices will drop. So it really is a win win.:p

nVidia may indeed drop its prices in the coming months in order to compete with AMD's new cards, but don't expect it to happen the day of the 2900's release.

OFF TOPIC:
It's funny because as I am reading this thread I am listening to "Patience" by Guns and Roses. "If I can't have you right now (R600), I'll wait dear..." HAHA

nVidia may indeed drop its prices in the coming months in order to compete with AMD's new cards, but don't expect it to happen the day of the 2900's release.

Exactly, price drops dont usually happen until at least a month after the launch of the new stuff its not so instant like so many people make it sound.

Read this.....

Expect AMD to pull the wraps off its DirectX 10 product line up in mid-May, with value, midrange and high end models to boot. AMD’s flagship ATI Radeon HD 2900-series will have two models at launch – the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX and the HD 2900 XT. The ATI Radeon HD 2900 XTX models feature 1GB of GDDR4 memory while the lower HD 2900 XT features 512 MB.

The ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT is poised to have a street price approximately the same as the GeForce 8800 GTS, which currently has a suggested retailer price of $449.

http://www.dailytech.com/ATI+Radeon+HD+2900+XT+Performance+Benchmarks/article7043.htm

Now read this...

R600XTX, the 1024 MB GDDR 4 card, has been pushed to the next quarter. This is just one in a series of ATI's failures, but of course DAAMIT will call this a strategic decision. R600XTX won't see the face of retail / etail stores till Q3 2007.

We know that something went wrong with the samples and that the there were some severe performance problems with the latest batch of GDDR 4 cards. Basically 512 MB DDR3 version with 1600 MHz memory was beating the GDDR4 version with 1024 MB of GDDR 4 memory clocked at 2200 MHz.

That cannot be good as the GDDR4 card is much more expensive to build or sell. The worst part is that there is no any big performance difference between 512 GDDR 3 card and 1024 MB GDDR. The trouble is that 1 GB of GDDR 4 at 2200 MHz costs you a lot of money, so ATI at least wants to save some money. It will launch this card after Geforce 8800 Ultra but remember, don’t expect too much.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=661&Itemid=1

Read this.....
[SNIP]

Read this later article on Dailytech: [link].

The last few lines say (after he's finished talking about the XT benches):"I'm currently benchmarking the Radeon HD 2900 XTX, though I'll revist the XT if anyone has any particular requests."

Clearly it's available. We'll see if they launch it all at the same time, but I don't really see why not..

It's three more weeks! The driver team is working on Catalyst for the R600 and 7.5 is the magic number. Besides by delaying it'll let you save up a bit more money for when you're really educated about your buying options, when the card comes out and comparisons are made. After a feeding frenzy of electrons and I'm sure the 2900 will come out looking like it was worth the wait... especially for folks who haven't purchased a 8800 already.

especially for folks who haven't purchased a 8800 already.

And theres the problem... Most of the people that had the money and where waiting for the R600 gave up and bought a G80 already. Even alot of true ATI F.a.n.b.o.y.s. have got tired of waiting and jumped ship. Not to say the R600 wont sell well just dont expect it to sell out everywhere.

The ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT is poised to have a street price approximately the same as the GeForce 8800 GTS, which currently has a suggested retailer price of $449.

R600XTX, the 1024 MB GDDR 4 card, has been pushed to the next quarter. This is just one in a series of ATI's failures, but of course DAAMIT will call this a strategic decision. R600XTX won't see the face of retail / etail stores till Q3 2007.

Well if the dailytech numbers are correct for X2900XTX I would too delay the card and make it 65nm only. 2900XT numbers seem sweet and but 2900XTX just looks too bad to be true, according to dailytech numbers there is only couple FPS difference between XT and XTX :confused:

So dunno which would be wiser from AMD to do, release half assed XTX aka FX5800 or delay it further and just release the competetive 2900XT. I would go for the X2900XTX delay, but Iam no marketing expert.

GTX blows it out of the water. I reconfigured my wishlist, took out the BX2 board and put in a 680i board, put in an 8800GTX, and pulled the trigger. I really wanted the radeons to be good, but they're a failure.

edit: Daily Tech: 2900 XTX, Doomed from the Start

GTX blows it out of the water. I reconfigured my wishlist, took out the BX2 board and put in a 680i board, put in an 8800GTX, and pulled the trigger. I really wanted the radeons to be good, but they're a failure.

It's interesting that the card performed slower than the XT in one of those test, despite its GDDR4 being clocked so much higher. Sounds kinda weird.. I think I'll wait for [H]'s verdict, but I'm really surprised at the low stock clock speeds of the XTX.

I can do better than that with my pair of X1900s! I'm certainly not downgrading to one of those - two could be an option if Crossfire works, but GTXs in SLi would blow that away. And of course you can buy a board with DDR2-1066 support and dual 16x PCIe for SLi, that's not the case for Crossfire.

How can they NOT afford a C2D???

Athlon64 X2 AM2 3600+ = US$ 70
Core2 Duo E4300 = US$ 120
For some people, US$50 is a lot of money. You can almost get a low end motherboard for that price.

And theres the problem... Most of the people that had the money and where waiting for the R600 gave up and bought a G80 already.

The key word here is most.. but not all. I am building my new system after R600 release. There should be more options and maybe lower price for G80 by then. :)

I am building a new system soon as well. But I will wait till Ati puts their best on the market.
Than we will get some legitimate benchmarks ( games , applications etc etc.)
That will help me decide which one to get. I have owned both Nvidia and Ati cards. So I am not a fan boy of either ( even owned Matrox some time in the past ).

May the best win and the looser go to hell . ( law of the jungle # 314c appendix 4a )

Someone just pointed out that the 8800GTX they're using is this $939 BFG model, because it's the only 8800 clocked at those speeds by a vendor. Combine that with the obvious fact that there is no way that the XTX they had was at final clock speeds (they managed to get the retail XT to 845/1.99, up from 745/1.65, so is it all that crazy that the cherry picked XTX cores could be clocked higher, as well with the memory?), and that the benchmarks don't show any kind of AA/AF or anything more informative? The picture starts to look quite skewed.. I'm going to wait until proper reviews are released

Back