card for 1440x900

samven582

Limp Gawd
what would the best nvidia card that I can use to max out at that resolution? My budget is $150

I don't think you would see any difference after a 9800gtx. Even then I think its pushing it.

I don't think you would see any difference after a 9800gtx. Even then I think its pushing it.

Possibly, but newer games are using more complex shaders and higher resolution textures. While a 9800GTX or 4850 were initially recommended for 1680x1050, today you need a GTX260/4870 1GB for the best experience at that res, especially in games like Far Cry 2 at the highest texture detail settings. Even with a smaller frame buffer size (lower res), the textures themselves will exceed 512MB, so make sure you get a 1GB(-ish) card.

as usual nobody asked about the rest of his pc. OP what does your system look like including cpu, ram, and psu? please make a sig or include all your info when asking for hardware advice.

as usual nobody asked about the rest of his pc. OP what does your system look like including cpu, ram, and psu? please make a sig or include all your info when asking for hardware advice.

sorry

Q9550
4gb of ram
600w psu

do you guys think a GTS 250 will fit my criteria?

Last edited:
sorry

Q9550
4gb of ram
600w psu
if thats a decent name brand psu then go for the fastest card you can get for your 150bucks. I just looked on newegg and a gtx260 is 180 bucks or more so that it is out. a gts250 512mb is only about 110 bucks so I would probably go with that. a 1gb model is only about $15-$20 more but at 1440x900 is not really needed.

I would highly recommend a gts 250. I installed one in my girlfriend's pc, as she's gotten to where she enjoys steam as much as myself. Needless to say, it runs just about everything perfectly at the resolution. You can even turn on up to 4x aa in some games. Those games are usually the easier ones to run, such as mass effect, l4d, or devil may cry 4. Nonetheless, a 250 will run you around $130-ish, and it's more than enough power for that res, and I say this from personal experience.

Back