Catalyst 8.3 March 5th

Weird press release. At the top it says March 5th, towards the bottom is says they'll be available Tuesday March 4th. Heh..

Sweet! In time for my build, my case is supposed to show up tomorrow, talk about perfect timing.
Too bad I have to work tomorrow night.

Nice. I've been holding off on replacing my P5K with a P5E until this driver came out. My X38/3870x3 setup is almost here

I keep checking their drivers sight, hoping that March 5th means midnight east coast time. I need a life.

AMD/ATI To Release Catalyst 8.3 March 5th

Looking forward to crossfireX and Aspect Ratio Scaling.

Also, maybe a fix for this powerplay bug in Crysis?

Great.

Just wonderful.

I've been trying really, REALLY hard to keep from getting my hopes up. I mean, Aspect Ratio Scaling? After all these years and HUNDREDS of complaints?? Can it be true? Dare we dream it so?

I bet not. I can't imagine. Not after this much time.

But...gods that would be nice...

Great.

Just wonderful.

I've been trying really, REALLY hard to keep from getting my hopes up. I mean, Aspect Ratio Scaling? After all these years and HUNDREDS of complaints?? Can it be true? Dare we dream it so?

I bet not. I can't imagine. Not after this much time.

But...gods that would be nice...

Does this fix the problem with TV-out or have anything to do with it?

I know on my TV-out, I have to lower my desktop res to make movies show right on my TV. And with older drivers or my old Radeon I did'nt have to do this.

Anyone still awake wanna post some results ? I'm very interested to see if the hype has become reality. Please post some: crysis performance 3d/2d bugs fixed, etc etc.

just installed em, they're legit alright

ill edit w/ performance if any.. unfortunately crysis not installed

For the 3870 x2 the crysis problem seems to be fixed from what i can tell so far. I just played one of the leves that fluctuates in gpu usage with the old drivers, but with these new ones the gpu usage stays above 90% solid, so both gpus are working at all times now.

cod4 has a nasty bug now where a flash grenade flickers your screen like crazy.. maybe itl be fixed in the "final", but I think this is the final

(this is with two 3870s in crossfire, not the x2)

For the 3870 x2 the crysis problem seems to be fixed from what i can tell so far. I just played one of the leves that fluctuates in gpu usage with the old drivers, but with these new ones the gpu usage stays above 90% solid, so both gpus are working at all times now.

Thx JohnShaft, I think I know what you are referring to with the fluctuation. Its where the action gets heavy and it drops to around 10-15 fps but it jumps right back to some high fps rate like 50+ when you look up into the sky.
I returned my visiontek 3870x2 in hopes of grabbing one of the non reference ones (powercolor). That and the badasss p45 and x48 boards coming are just too irresistible not to Crossfire so really hoping for some driver fix.

cod4 has a nasty bug now where a flash grenade flickers your screen like crazy.. maybe itl be fixed in the "final", but I think this is the final

(this is with two 3870s in crossfire, not the x2)

I saw that too but does COD4 drop in fps erratically?

cod4 is running rock solid otherwise, heres my specs

p5w dh
2gb 6400
e6750 @ 3.2

So the reviews are hitting the web, but AMDs site still hasnt been updated.

How is fixed aspect ratio scaling working in these drivers? :p

release notes said:
Digital Panel GPU image scaling
This release of Catalyst™ introduces a new setting that allows users to enable GPU accelerated scaling for Wide aspect LCD displays. The new setting Maintain aspect ratio improves the display resolution image quality when scaling is enable by maintaining the wide panel aspect ratio (stops the image from looking distorted)
If it works, it's finally about time! And it finally opens up ATI cards for general gaming upgrades for me.

Yup. Something about some limitation in XP that Vista's WDDM fixed.
Hence why the 7800GX2 never really performed well.

What's the difference between the 'maintain aspect ratio' and 'use centered timings'?

Seems like one of the biggest driver updates I've seen in quite a while. Downloading now.
Hope you guys post your results. These big ones tend to always see performance go backwards...

What's the difference between the 'maintain aspect ratio' and 'use centered timings'?
Maintain aspect ratio should fill the screen and leave black borders if the displayed resolution doesn't match the aspect ratio of the monitor. You will no longer get a squished image on your widescreen display when selecting a 4:3 or 5:4 resolution in a game.

Use centered timings will just display the image at native resolution without scaling. For example, a 640x480 game would display as a small portion centered in a 1024x768 native resolution monitor.

For ATI users, this is a Neo using his eyes for the first time moment. ;)

Thanks for the explanation, pxc. I guess since I use a 24" widescreen monitor that I should hope that Sapphire will release drivers for the HD 3850 AGP that incorporate the 8.3 driver additions.

AndoSage, Im keeping a watch on the site and a couple other areas.. will put info here if they do release agp drivers

Thanks for the explanation, pxc. I guess since I use a 24" widescreen monitor that I should hope that Sapphire will release drivers for the HD 3850 AGP that incorporate the 8.3 driver additions.
The drivers on ATI's site don't work for the 3850 AGP?

I just got off the phone with one of AMD/ATi's senior techs and they're aware of this problem and he said they will be getting out a hotfix soon.

I do suggest people who have bought the 3850 AGP card call 1-877-284-1566 and let them know you want the drivers from their website to install for your card without you having to hack 2x ini files, 1x dat and 1x inf file.

Lets see how fast they get that hotfix out now. :)

Back