CCTV Capture Card / Software Issues

n1ce_hat

Gawd
Okay, here goes:

Just bought a CCTV capture card, installed it, set up the included software, only to find out it doesn't like my server's OS, Windows Home Server PP2, which is a version of Windows Server 2003.

On the web site, under the software requirements, it says "Windows Vista 32, Windows XP Professional SP2 ,not support sever version, not support WIN9x,please choose NTFS file format for Hardisk". Well right off the bat, it doesn't like Server 2003. The program works EXCELLENTLY in every way, except the video output is really bizarre. I am given three options for capturing: DirectDraw[ACC], DirectDraw[GEN], and Direct 3D. The drivers installed well, but in Device Manager the card loads as a 'WAPA' card. The program it runs has 'WAPA' written on the front, maybe this driver is special to the software? I had an idea... What if the cheap Chinese software just sucks and a different program will work? I downloaded the 14-day trial of Capturix Videospy and it won't seem to open, it just asks me if I want to do the trial or not then doesn't load any further. It says Server 2003 compatible.

I could easily just put this in one of my XP boxes, but I really wanted my server to do the recording and it would REALLY be nice if I didn't need a separate DVR computer

My question to you folks: Do you know of any software that might work under this OS? Any tricks to get Videospy to work? Any tips? Throw it in the garbage?

Thanks in advance guys!!

Update: Took the bastard card out, put it in my Windows XP 32 bit machine and installed the software. The driver installed all the same but the bundled DVR program gave me a few errors but I got it installed. I get no actual video feed with this card but from time to time I see a still image from what the camera was seeing, but it won't show motion. The program really sucks, and I think it lacks a useful driver for using it in other programs. I got a good driver for my old 4-channel Conexant card so it appears in Videospy 2009 as usable capture device. I can't figure out a way to get this card's driver to work with other programs. I took a couple screenshots for visual aid.

I might take the card and put it in yet another system with less other software installed and see if I have better luck. Beginning to wish I bought one of the older style multi-chip cards...

Update 2: the XP computer I tried it on has an incompatible chipset! I have to do some reconfiguring on my end. Anyway, does anyone have any DVR software that they can recommend?

Last edited:
This is a really crappy CCTV card. A good one is going to run you $300+... even on ebay. Last one I delt with would work with a PCI VGA card. It sounds like this card is trying to exploit the resources of your actual video card... which is silly

This is a really crappy CCTV card. A good one is going to run you $300+... even on ebay. Last one I delt with would work with a PCI VGA card. It sounds like this card is trying to exploit the resources of your actual video card... which is silly

I'm not very happy with this card, the guy sent me a new program in my email but I haven't tried it yet because it looks identical to the CDs.

I think I might have to shell out for a Geovision or something. I figured this card was based on new technology and would somehow "work." What about one like this? It's a cheap-o but looks better than mine at the moment. Is there any that you would recommend?

I hope I can get my money back or something. Augh.

Strangely enough, the card in that link is a pretty decent card. Especially at that price, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. I honestly can't tell you the name of the card I use (3 day weekend for me and many beers at this point), but I'll follow up with the exact make. However, the card in that link has the same specs (from what I remember) that I use.

Strangely enough, the card in that link is a pretty decent card. Especially at that price, I'd jump on that in a heartbeat. I honestly can't tell you the name of the card I use (3 day weekend for me and many beers at this point), but I'll follow up with the exact make. However, the card in that link has the same specs (from what I remember) that I use.

Well at your recommendation I will buy that card. I might also buy a Geovision if I can get it for cheap enough. For $100 that 4 + 4 channel card is a low enough risk and hell, it might actually work. I am apparently building an army of DVR cards. I just need a card that can operate within my existing server, I only need 3 or 4 cams to be running. I was considering one of those standalone DVRs that look like little VCRs, although I always see professionals using PCs to record so I don't think the standalone is right for me.

What software do you use to record? Oh, and although it's not the weekend I am with you on the beers at the moment!!

beer_toast.jpg

OKAY THEN!!

I tried out the new version of that program he sent me in an email, and it is quite different from my CD version. It has a lot less options in the menu (the whole directdraw/direct3D options are gone altogether), it behaves differently during setup (slightly), it allowed me to start up the install using 1920x1080 resolution which I thought was amazing because it used to be very picky about 4:3 resolutions, and hell, it actually works! I installed the new program on my XP 32-bit SP3 machine and got it working in no time at all, then figured it was worth trying in my server so I went about the installation and it was a success! Everything about it, works, and works good. I can't believe my eyes. I am going to mount up the rest of my cameras tomorrow and see if I can watch the garbage man take away my trash or something. I love CCTV. We have so many punks in our area constantly causing havoc that it is great to catch them in the act.

I would highly recommend this card, although it has no hope of working with quality name-brand software, it still impressed me today. I'll let you know how things work out after the install is complete.

Some screens:

And under closer inspection: The old software claims version 8.2 while the new one is 8.3.

Last edited:
Back